Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 09-03-2013, 05:47 PM   #31
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
I'm very excited. It's been a long wait.
I would expect it was a long wait for the original Marvin version as well but you just didn't know you were waiting

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:56 PM   #32
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredipusRex View Post
While the new logo is nice (big M for Marvin stylized as an open book), I must be the only person outside of Kris who liked the old one. It was distinctive - it was very easy to pick out from the plethora of simple icons that dot my iPad.

Oh well - the red background is still distinctive!
Not the only one. I really like the old app icon (I even remember complimenting it at the time). It has a lot of character.

But yes, at least the new one's not blue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I would expect it was a long wait for the original Marvin version as well but you just didn't know you were waiting

Dale
If I cursed and complained non-stop about other reading apps, does that count as knowing? I think the 1,700 replies in the original Marvin thread speak volumes about how much people felt they needed something better.
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2013, 06:09 PM   #33
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
That wasn't a "wait", that was sheer despair. Ever since it became obvious that Amazon bought Stanza only so that it can kill it, with no intention (beyond empty verbal declarations) to match Kindle with Stanza in terms of features... well, I for one thought that the iOS platform was doomed, and that we would possibly never get to see quality reading software on iOS again.

That Amazon only bought Stanza to kill it, became painfully obvious at the latest with the initial iPad release, which was in the spring of 2010. Yes, there were some perfunctory Stanza updates for the iPad to start with, but only a year later, in 2011, I think, Amazon flatly refused to update Stanza any longer. That's when we got into real trouble.

So, yes, it was a very long "wait", around 2 years at least, I guess... and when Marvin popped out of the blue in December 2012, it was a revelation.

By the way, a similar analogy is email software in iOS. I thought we would never get to see quality email software in iOS, and that we would have to put up with Apple's crappy "Mail" app for the rest of our lives. When, suddenly, in February 2013 (I think), the fabulous Mailbox app appeared, just as unexpectedly as Marvin, and it's the finest email software I have ever used on any platform, including Mac OS and Windows.

So, the last year, or 9 months, have been fantastic for iOS in this regard. I perceive both Marvin and Mailbox as "genius prodigies". They are both still beset with many flaws and deficiencies, but was a 5-year-old Mozart the same as the 30-year-old Mozart? No. He was a child prodigy. That's what Marvin and Mailbox are currently. It must be our hope that both of them will one day reach truly Mozart-esque proportions. It must be embarrassing for the competition, though, that "child prodigies" are, even in these earliest stages, already far better than all the old-timers.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:51 PM   #34
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredipusRex View Post
While the new logo is nice (big M for Marvin stylized as an open book), I must be the only person outside of Kris who liked the old one. It was distinctive - it was very easy to pick out from the plethora of simple icons that dot my iPad.

Oh well - the red background is still distinctive!
I prefer the new logo - it makes no difference in the long run to me because Marvin sits on my tray at the bottom of my iPad so I never have to go searching for it!

P.S. I did think the glasses were cute and whimsical!
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:42 PM   #35
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
I think the logo looks similar to another one... Still very clever though. But yeah, it sits on my dock too so it won't be a big issue finding it.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2013, 11:57 PM   #36
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
I think the logo looks similar to another one...
Like which? I think basically all logos that only show the letter M and nothing else, will look a bit similar to one another. Especially if it's a white-ish M on a red-ish background, but I can't readily think of any such logo, apart from Marvin's new logo.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:49 AM   #37
dandelioncottage
Abibliophobe
dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2 64 gb, Nook Glowlight, iPad 4 (128 gb)
I'll miss the glasses (because I wear glasses ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilady1 View Post
P.S. I did think the glasses were cute and whimsical!
dandelioncottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:13 AM   #38
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
I love the spectacles too (they are the spectacles I actually wear). Still, I find the new logo cleaner, more "iconic", and works better with M's flat design.
kguil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:06 PM   #39
Kretzer
out of depth
Kretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: iPad2, iPhone 5, Kindle3 3G
I really liked the glasses, too, but I guess they would be too delicate for a small iPhone screen.
The "M" very much reminds me of the logo of a cheap German drugstore chain, but I'm sure I'll get used to it ... I'm looking forward to the new version in any case!
Kretzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:07 PM   #40
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kguil View Post
I love the spectacles too (they are the spectacles I actually wear).
I thought that's where the glasses came from. LOL!
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:50 PM   #41
RONE
Enthusiast
RONE began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 4S
I'm very excited for Marvin on my iPhone. Thank you for all of your hard work making it happen!
RONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:57 PM   #42
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by kguil View Post
Just wanted to let you know that the update to Marvin for iPad and Marvin for iPhone and iPod touch have been submitted to the App Store for review.
Well, it's Saturday, past midnight, in Europe now, so it seems like Monday to Friday was not enough time for Apple to approve Marvin for iPhone (unless something changes in the next few hours). I guess the wait will be prolonged until next week...

Maybe Tuesday, September 10th, will be the boombastic Day D, with Apple announcing new iPhones, and Marvin for iPhone being released? Just imagine Tim Cook returning to the stage for a brief moment: "Oh, and one more thing... Go and download Marvin to your iPhones right now: it's so much better than our own iBooks!"
Old 09-06-2013, 08:01 PM   #43
RONE
Enthusiast
RONE began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 4S
I've been searching for Marvin on the App Store on my iPhone a couple times per day. I don't think I've ever been this excited for an app to be released.
RONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:18 PM   #44
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

I think Kris will immediately post here as soon as it's released. There's still an off-chance it might happen in the next few hours... It's now Saturday, 2 hours past midnight in Central Europe (which is also Kris's time zone), but that's "only" 5 p.m. on Friday afternoon in California, so...
Old 09-06-2013, 08:53 PM   #45
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
Just imagine Tim Cook returning to the stage for a brief moment: "Oh, and one more thing... Go and download Marvin to your iPhones right now: it's so much better than our own iBooks!"
Well, you know anything's possible. Some guy shouted at the end of the last keynote, "I LOVE YOU!" and Tim was like, "... Thank you!"
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote