Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-23-2013, 10:07 AM   #376
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I love listening to audiobooks when I'm travelling. (I get moetion sickness so I can't read, even if I'm not driving.)
I have enjoyed several audiobooks that I seriously doubt I would have read as books, thanks to great narrators. I can only listen to them for a maximum of maybe 20-30 minutes at a time, or my mind wanders off somewhere and I have no clue what went on in the book. That does not happen to me when I'm reading books! When I'm reading something good I completely lose the outside world!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:31 AM   #377
glamourgenet
Nameless Being

I have an hour and a half round commute to and from work each day by car -- audiobooks are a blessing.
Advert
Old 03-23-2013, 10:48 AM   #378
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
I love to listen to an audiobook while I'm exercising. It helps to have something to look forward to and that also helps motivate me to exercise.

Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson was my first one several months ago. Since then, I've listened to the Foundation trilogy by Isaac Asimov, A Christmas Carol, and am now finishing up Anniversary Day by Kristine Kathryn Rusch. All of these have great readers.

Next is Captain Vorpatril's Alliance.
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:50 AM   #379
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
When I first started using text to speech, I had difficulty understanding it. Whole sentences would disappear into an unintelligible mess. But then I learned to understand it, I suppose it's like your brain adapting to understand a strong accent. Now, I can listen to books without a problem, even at full speed. I find the female voice works best.

Audio books read by a human are better, of course, but I find text to speech meets my needs now that I have adapted to it. TTS is always available, even if I haven't downloaded a proper audio book.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:19 PM   #380
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
I love listening to audiobooks when I'm travelling. (I get moetion sickness so I can't read, even if I'm not driving.)
I have enjoyed several audiobooks that I seriously doubt I would have read as books, thanks to great narrators. I can only listen to them for a maximum of maybe 20-30 minutes at a time, or my mind wanders off somewhere and I have no clue what went on in the book. That does not happen to me when I'm reading books! When I'm reading something good I completely lose the outside world!
I like audio books when I am driving. It is better than music when you are driving and are tired.
I am sorry you get motion sickness. Have you tried Dramamine for it? My wife gets vertigo occasionally and Dramamine really helps.
My father was military and I grew up traveling and reading in a car. Motion sickness would have been unbearable for me.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2013, 08:54 PM   #381
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That is one disadvantage of audio books, you can get distracted and miss parts of the book. When you're reading and get distracted, you just stop reading.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:59 PM   #382
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
And another one: compared to reading it's slow...
REALLY badly sluggish slow.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:27 PM   #383
magicmonster
Groupie
magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color, & Dell Axim X50v
Audible lets you speed up.
magicmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:36 AM   #384
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
That is one disadvantage of audio books, you can get distracted and miss parts of the book. When you're reading and get distracted, you just stop reading.
I do not stop. I can get distracted and continue reading and not remembering anything I read.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:10 AM   #385
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I do not stop. I can get distracted and continue reading and not remembering anything I read.
So I'm not the only one?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:06 AM   #386
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
So I'm not the only one?
Nope. I can read a whole paragraph, even a page, and realise suddenly that not a word went in.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:18 AM   #387
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Hmm... maybe I'm not the only one?

How about where you are reading and "lost in the book" then you find that you have
taken the story off in your own direction? Then have to backtrack to find what "really"
happened, according to the author.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:02 AM   #388
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Nope. I can read a whole paragraph, even a page, and realise suddenly that not a word went in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Hmm... maybe I'm not the only one?

How about where you are reading and "lost in the book" then you find that you have
taken the story off in your own direction? Then have to backtrack to find what "really"
happened, according to the author.

Luck;
Ken

Feel free to declare me arsehole of the day for that, but for me all of the above doesn't count as "reading" anymore.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:28 AM   #389
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
Feel free to declare me arsehole of the day for that, but for me all of the above doesn't count as "reading" anymore.
Well, maybe not arsehole of the day. Maybe just this thread.

I think the point was being made that whether "listening to" or "reading" a book, getting distracted can and does have many of the same disadvantages: namely missing things and needing to backtrack and locate where you stopped paying attention.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-24-2013 at 10:31 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:45 AM   #390
QuantumIguana
Philosopher

I do have times when I'm reading if I'm really exhausted where I'm reading words but not comprehending sentences. I usually don't keep up too long after that.