Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-08-2012, 05:28 PM   #31
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I use to keep about 300 on my Sony 505, but since getting my KK and KFire, I only keep about 80 to 100 or less on each. It is just so easy to send or wi-fi download whichever book that I want that I now keep less on my devices.

Sometimes I switch between books, but only if the current book is not holding my attention or I only have a short time to read. Short time slots for reading is when I read a lot of the Charles River Editors books.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:19 PM   #32
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
I aim for 150 on my Sony's. Once I get under 90, I then add all my "TBR" books that have accumulated in Calibre since my last "move to reader"...
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2012, 08:04 PM   #33
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
I don't switch books unless the one I'm reading is just too bad to finish, which only happens about twice a year.
Same here. And when in a series, I may take breaks between books, but usually only fanfic, which are mostly small. I don't find myself distracted unless it's slow or boring. In that case, I just give up and move on.

I have Sony T1's and T2's, and a Kindle touch. I only keep about 400 on the Kindle Touch because I hate the way the books are listed, and I can't keep the Collections from disappearing at random times. So I don't even bother messing with it anymore.

On the Sonys I use the main memory (leaving about 500mb) plus a 2gig microsd card (also leaving 500mb) in the Sonys. They tend to get too darn slow with more than about 6,000 files. Plus, there is a bit of a glitch on opening Collections on the last page that's discussed on the Sony Forum.

I keep my most interesting files on main memory, so if they decide they don't like the SD card for some reason I can remove the card and it won't have to index it. Yes, they can read 32Gig cards, but they can't handle the actually volume you can put on the cards. Might as well stick with the smaller cards and not waste the space.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:05 PM   #34
corroonb
Addict
corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura, Nexus 9
Don't you guys find it a little awkward to browse through so many books?

I usually keep only a small number of books from my e-library on the device at any one time because it's easier to find what I'm looking for.
corroonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:16 PM   #35
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
I only keep my to read pile on there, not previously read. So not many books.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2012, 08:19 PM   #36
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
Quote:
Originally Posted by corroonb View Post

I usually keep only a small number of books from my e-library on the device at any one time because it's easier to find what I'm looking for.
No, because I've got my Collections information set up so I know exactly which one to go to, depending on what mood I'm in. Then they sort by series info in the title. I've also got Calibre set up to put the metadata in as the first page, so if I'm unsure I can pop in and out.

It never failed that I'd have a series or single picked out to go to next, but by the time I get to the end of the series I'm in the mood for something else. So I quit trying to predict what I'll want to read. I'd just rather have a lot with me and figure I've got everything covered.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:42 PM   #37
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuskyRose View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by corroonb

No, because I've got my Collections information set up so I know exactly which one to go to, depending on what mood I'm in. Then they sort by series info in the title. I've also got Calibre set up to put the metadata in as the first page, so if I'm unsure I can pop in and out.

It never failed that I'd have a series or single picked out to go to next, but by the time I get to the end of the series I'm in the mood for something else. So I quit trying to predict what I'll want to read. I'd just rather have a lot with me and figure I've got everything covered.
I have way too many books on my reader, but it is no harder to find them on the reader than find them on the calibre library.

The reason I have close to 4000 books on reader is that I wanted to see if it degraded performance. Not significantly that I can see and I was down to 19.2 mb of free ram. So there they sit til I read them and I am happy with that.

I read a lot, maybe 10 books a week, and usually in bed at night where I don't want to get out or fiddle with the content server to change books. My other frequent reading is on public transport or a waiting room.

Plus my reading tastes are very wide, and I don't usually want to read the same type of book or same series or author one after the other. Even when I really like the books I tend to burn out and it's all blah, blah, blah after three or four in a row.

So unfortunately for me 6 books would not last me 3 days generally as I might read 2 or 3 and just not be in the mood for the other 3.

Oh well.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:25 PM   #38
purple_fishy
Zealot
purple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook STR, iPad Air 2
I have a bit over 300 on my Nook STR. I have six shelves set up and can easily find books that I am reading or want to browse. I am really into classics AND I am really into rereading my favorite passages of books so having them all on my Nook is convenient. I like being able to flip through the shelf and read a bit from Jane Eyre and then go to my favorite passage in Little Women. It's like I am at home, browsing in our library. I keep classics on the Nook and contemporary literature gets rotated in whenever I am reading it.
purple_fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:20 PM   #39
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan
Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch
almost 600 on my kindle touch
Dragoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:24 PM   #40
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Quote:

I generally don't "browse" through my books. I pick an author or title I want to read and search. The one thing I'd most like to see on the Nook Touch is the ability to shelve the book currently being read, and be able to save it off line. If I could do that, I'd definitely have "read in year NNNN", "currently reading", and "to be read" shelves, so that I could go save books that I want to read for later and not forget about them. I know I have at least a dozen unfinished books that I stopped reading because I had reasons to switch to another one (not because I hated it), but I never got back to it because I forgot about it after 2-3 weeks of reading other things. If I could only shelve the currently read book, that would stop happening (probably).

Also, many of my sideloaded ebooks don't show a cover, and that makes for less visceral browsing.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:26 AM   #41
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
For those who travel a lot, it's great. My NC is loaded with books, audio books, music, movies and TV shows. If I'm stuck in an airport or bored in a hotel room, I have my own personal little entertainment center in my purse. And having a large number of books means I can find something to interest me regardless of whatever my mood happens to be at any given time.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:18 AM   #42
Joshua.P
The Dark Knight
Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
I have only a couple on my kindle at the moment, tho generally I have around 5.
Joshua.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:24 AM   #43
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
I would, if that's what I had to do to get to a book

But like others above have said, there are various sorting schemes through calibre and their reader that make it very easy to navigate through Collections, series, genres, etc.

Also, most e-readers now have a search function, so if i wanted to get to a specific author, I could do a search for "Austen", and instantly all 6 of her novels would show up to choose from.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:08 AM   #44
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Most of my Kindle books are in the bottomless pit that is my "Free" Collection. I don't go in there much.

To be honest, though, so what if it does take a bit longer to browse? I spend way more time actually reading the book, it just might take a couple of minutes to choose which one if I haven't already decided before I look. It's no worse than browsing in Calibre, or on Amazon, or in a bookshop or a library, surely?
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:34 AM   #45
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
To be honest, though, so what if it does take a bit longer to browse? I spend way more time actually reading the book, it just might take a couple of minutes to choose which one if I haven't already decided before I look. It's no worse than browsing in Calibre, or on Amazon, or in a bookshop or a library, surely?
Exactly! There's plenty of room in the world for all ereader users ... whether they keep 2 books on them or two-thousand. I don't really feel an overwhelming need to understand the reasons why other users don't all embrace my ever-so-clearly-superior device practices.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote