Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-12-2012, 04:13 AM   #136
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Don't some Mac laptops have non-replaceable batteries? That may be a consideration if you're thinking of buying a laptop for use for several years.
They're not user-replaceable batteries, but battery replacement is a same-day service at any Apple Store - £99 inc. VAT here in UK, all-in. FWIW my teenage daughter has a 2009 'last-of-the-line' shiny white unibody MacBook with a fixed battery, and it's holding up just fine on the original battery after the best part of three years, and she's not the most careful of users
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 04:22 AM   #137
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
Good question, Harry. My old MacBook had a removable access cover on the back so I could remove/replace battery myself. My current MacBook Pro doesn't, as I was just chagrined to notice for the first time. The Mac models with built-in batteries can have their batteries replaced at an authorized service provider. For more info see: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3371
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2012, 04:27 AM   #138
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petermillard View Post
They're not user-replaceable batteries, but battery replacement is a same-day service at any Apple Store - £99 inc. VAT here in UK, all-in. FWIW my teenage daughter has a 2009 'last-of-the-line' shiny white unibody MacBook with a fixed battery, and it's holding up just fine on the original battery after the best part of three years, and she's not the most careful of users
I haven't had to replace a battery in over 5 years on either of my old MB or newer MB Pro.

Wow, those white MacBooks sure seem popular
Old 07-12-2012, 04:32 AM   #139
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by unboggling View Post
I haven't had to replace a battery in over 5 years on either of my old MB or newer MB Pro.
A lithium-ion battery will typically have lost around half of its original capacity after 5 years. They "age" with time, no matter how carefully you look after the battery.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 04:41 AM   #140
unboggling
Wizard

Quote:
A lithium-ion battery will typically have lost around half of its original capacity after 5 years. They "age" with time, no matter how carefully you look after the battery.
Huh. Thanks, good to know. I use laptops plugged into power most of the time. People such as students who use laptop on battery a lot may need a battery replacement more often than someone like me.

Edit: I'm not sure if plugged into power or not matters much in delaying battery replacement, now that I think about it.

Last edited by unboggling; 07-12-2012 at 04:50 AM.
Advert
Old 07-12-2012, 04:44 AM   #141
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Huh. Thanks, good to know. I use laptops plugged into power most of the time. People such as students who use laptop on battery a lot may need a battery replacement more often than someone like me.
Yes. There are two aspects which determine how rapidly a battery loses capacity:

1. The number of charge cycles it's gone through.
2. The age of the battery.

The two are independent, but cumulative. As far as #2 goes, the "clock starts ticking" the first time that the battery is charged after manufacture, and it can't be stopped.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:55 AM   #142
unboggling
Wizard

Quote:
Yes. There are two aspects which determine how rapidly a battery loses capacity:

The two are independent, but cumulative. As far as #2 goes, the "clock starts ticking" the first time that the battery is charged after manufacture, and it can't be stopped.
Also good to know. Hmm. My MacBooks seem to be frequently charging while plugged in, varying between 96% to 100% charged. Edit: (Whatever that means, probably the % charged of the remaining battery capacity.) Here is what Mac Help says:
Quote:
Select this option to display your battery’s level of charge in the menu bar. If your computer is plugged into an electrical outlet, the icon indicates whether the battery is charging or is fully charged.

Last edited by unboggling; 07-12-2012 at 05:45 AM.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:15 AM   #143
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

That's right. The "% charged" is showing you the percentage of its current capacity, but the "usage time" that being 100% charged gives you will gradually fall as the years go by. And sooner or later the battery will just die.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:45 AM   #144
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
I won't pretend to understand the full details of batteries, but from what I've read in passing over the last few years, it sounds like heat and the voltage you charge to are big factors in battery life.

Supposedly for modern batteries the best way to lengthen their life is to not fully charge them. Some laptops allow you to set the bios to cut off charging at around 70-80% of capacity. Obviously if you're off on a trip, top it off first

The battery on my main laptop used to last between 2-3 hours, I now get (4 years later) around 20 minutes out of it. Shame I didn't know about keeping it at 100% not been the best of ideas Still I very rarely use it away from the mains, so that 20 mins is great, it's a little UPS :P

edit: couldn't find any of the original articles I read it in, but here's a post which covers roughly the same info

http://www.cultofmac.com/147994/gett...t-i-os-x-tips/

edit2: I wish every company would make batteries replaceable, ideally user replaceable, but even if getting the casing off the laptop and undoing dozens of screws is required, as long as the battery itself is not soldered or glued to the board I'd be happy.

Last edited by JoeD; 07-12-2012 at 07:57 AM.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:29 AM   #145
unboggling
Wizard

Interesting.

To determine what max cycle count is on Mac portables, and cycles used, see http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1519

For 16 month old 17" MB Pro, max cycle count is 1000, mine is at 2.
For 05 year old 13" MB, max cycle count is 300, mine is at 3.

Edit:
Quote:
Use of your Apple portable computer battery accrues in the form of "charge cycles." You may use your battery after it reaches its maximum cycle count, but you may notice a reduction in your battery life. Knowing how many charge cycles are on your battery and how many are left can help you determine when a battery replacement is required. For optimal performance, replace your battery when the maximum cycle count is reached.
I guess using them while plugged in to power a lot really does help significantly.

Last edited by unboggling; 07-12-2012 at 08:38 AM.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:47 AM   #146
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
I guess using them while plugged in to power a lot really does help significantly.
When it comes to charge cycles, yes. When it comes to "ageing", not one bit .
Old 07-12-2012, 08:50 AM   #147
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Quote:
Apple also recommend you don't just use a macbook on mains alone though.

http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:18 AM   #148
unboggling
Wizard

Quote:
When it comes to charge cycles, yes. When it comes to "ageing", not one bit .
OK, so the 5 year old computer will need a new battery soon probably, due to age not cycles, though the indication currently is health:normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD View Post
Apple also recommend you don't just use a macbook on mains alone though.

http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html
That is disturbing, I didn't know. In my case of plugged into power most of the time, Apple recommends scheduling a calendar reminder to drain battery intentionally once a month. Edit: (Which I haven't ever done.)

Last edited by unboggling; 07-12-2012 at 09:24 AM.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:24 PM   #149
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:

A little more on this subject.

1. The number of charge cycles is useful for NiMH batteries but not so much for Lithium Ion as Lithium Ion supports topping off. It can be topped off with almost no penalty in charge cycles. As a rule of thumb if you top off with a 10% charge it only counts as a 10% recharge instead of counting like a full recharge as it would if it were NiMH. It becomes good practice to keep your battery topped off.

2. The age of the battery is not a fixed amount beginning with the manufacture. Most manufacturers ship a battery that is not fully charged, generally about 40% charge as the storage life is increased under this condition and can take more variation in temperature cycles that may be encounter is shipping and storage. This is why you are told to fully charge a battery when you get it. Unless the battery has been stored a really long time you can begin counting time when you first charge the battery.

As battery technology evolves even the above guidelines will become obsolete.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 03:40 PM   #150
Delotte231
Connoisseur
Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
A little more on this subject.

1. The number of charge cycles is useful for NiMH batteries but not so much for Lithium Ion as Lithium Ion supports topping off. It can be topped off with almost no penalty in charge cycles. As a rule of thumb if you top off with a 10% charge it only counts as a 10% recharge instead of counting like a full recharge as it would if it were NiMH. It becomes good practice to keep your battery topped off.

2. The age of the battery is not a fixed amount beginning with the manufacture. Most manufacturers ship a battery that is not fully charged, generally about 40% charge as the storage life is increased under this condition and can take more variation in temperature cycles that may be encounter is shipping and storage. This is why you are told to fully charge a battery when you get it. Unless the battery has been stored a really long time you can begin counting time when you first charge the battery.

As battery technology evolves even the above guidelines will become obsolete.
The first bit is a whole new concept for me. It's good to know. I always hate it that I have to unplug a charging phone mid charge. I kept telling them its a waste of a charge cycle. If I had to do that, I usually wait till it drains to low power again. I usually drain my battery to low power before even charging it so that I make full use of a "cycle". Glad to know that I can be free of that part of my life!
Delotte231 is offline   Reply With Quote