Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 03-22-2012, 09:48 PM   #1
readabit
Enthusiast
readabit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.readabit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.readabit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.readabit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.readabit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.readabit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.readabit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.readabit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.readabit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.readabit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.readabit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S3, NOOK Color.
Question prospective buyer question: NOOK Color reconnecting to wifi after waking from sleep?

Greetings,

I am considering purchasing a refurb NOOK Color to use in an office setting wherein individuals will fill out a digital form (via a web page in the NOOK browser) periodically. The web form does not require typing, just taping on the appropriate "answer", so a touch interface can work fine. I'm exploring this option because I think it will save us money over time (ie, less printing costs for this particular form, of which we use a lot of).

The NOOK Color would be used basically 1x/hour to fill out this form. In between it would be set to go to sleep. My understanding is that it will automatically "turn off" (or the equivalent) wifi to save power while asleep, and then reconnect to the wifi connection upon waking up.

My intention would be to connect the NOOK Color to the wireless router/access point (AP) via the most secure wireless encryption possible, which I understand to be WPA2/AES, which I believe the NOOK Color supports.

I am looking for feedback, etc. from owners of the NOOK Color regarding how quickly and reliably the NOOK Color automatically reconnects to a wifi connection (that it was connected to when it went to sleep) upon being awakened from sleep. The wifi access point will be in the same room, so you can assume for the sake of my question that range will not be an issue. Ideally I'd like it if the NOOK could be reconnected in 30 seconds or less and without any effort on the user's part (other than waking the NOOK up), but regardless I'd like input on real world experiences with this. I'm definitely hoping to not be having to manually disable/re-enable the wifi on the NOOK every time it is woken up from sleep.

Thank you in advance to anyone who shares their input and experiences!
readabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:55 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
When I had a Nook Color it would automatically reconnect almost immediately upon waking (say 10-15 seconds), but I have read of folks having problems getting theirs to reconnect without doing it manually. This is true of any Android device I've used (the quick reconnect/some having problems) and I would guess it has to do with problems with specific routers or settings as I've never had a problem either at home or at work (both WPA2).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2012, 10:27 PM   #3
readabit
Enthusiast
readabit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.readabit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.readabit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.readabit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.readabit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.readabit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.readabit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.readabit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.readabit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.readabit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.readabit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
When I had a Nook Color it would automatically reconnect almost immediately upon waking (say 10-15 seconds), but I have read of folks having problems getting theirs to reconnect without doing it manually. This is true of any Android device I've used (the quick reconnect/some having problems) and I would guess it has to do with problems with specific routers or settings as I've never had a problem either at home or at work (both WPA2).
Thank you! That is helpful and encouraging. If you are comfortable doing so I'd be interesting in knowing what routers/APs you are/were connecting to successfully as I haven't made that purchase yet either and I can at least take your info into account as I research those devices.

Thanks again!
Old 03-23-2012, 12:17 PM   #4
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Aside from the few seconds it takes to reconnect, yeah, the automatica reconnect should work fine.

There are some issues with specific access points. The one I've had personal experience with is here at work, with a Cisco WAP 200, which has never worked right. However, I've just discovered that as of the latest update 1.4.2, it suddenly does. So perhaps they've finally ironed out some bugs.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:54 PM   #5
readabit
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin View Post
Aside from the few seconds it takes to reconnect, yeah, the automatica reconnect should work fine.

There are some issues with specific access points. The one I've had personal experience with is here at work, with a Cisco WAP 200, which has never worked right. However, I've just discovered that as of the latest update 1.4.2, it suddenly does. So perhaps they've finally ironed out some bugs.
Great, thank you! I'm feeling encouraged by this info. It is good to hear that you've even experienced an improvement with a recent NOOK Color update.

At the moment I'm considering getting a Cisco E1200 (or possible E1500) Wireless-N Router, so good to hear you are able to connect to a Cisco device (though I realize there can be a lot of variation across devices even from the same brand).

Thanks again!
Advert
Old 03-23-2012, 05:08 PM   #6
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by readabit View Post
Great, thank you! I'm feeling encouraged by this info. It is good to hear that you've even experienced an improvement with a recent NOOK Color update.
Updates have been a bit of a mixed bag. The most recent update was mostly a hurried bug fix for something they seriously broke in the email program in the previous update. But mostly, they make things better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by readabit View Post
At the moment I'm considering getting a Cisco E1200 (or possible E1500) Wireless-N Router, so good to hear you are able to connect to a Cisco device (though I realize there can be a lot of variation across devices even from the same brand).
The particular router we use is an older model that we use because it's what the manufacturer of a particular piece of equipment did their tests on. I'm not even sure it does wireless-n, and if it does, it almost certainly predates the specs being finalized. Hence, we have issues with almost everything else connecting to it. Newer stuff should be more reliable, but there's no real guarantee until you try to set it up and it works. Shouldn't be an issue, though. Never had a problem with my color nook anywhere else.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 07:30 AM   #7
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
When I had a Nook Color it would automatically reconnect almost immediately upon waking (say 10-15 seconds)
My Color Nook does the same thing. It is very quick to reconnect to WiFi after it is woken up.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 07:40 AM   #8
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I can only agree with the previous statements. I think the longest it has taken for me is around 20 seconds, but most of the time it feels almost instant.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:15 PM   #9
readabit
Enthusiast

Thank you everyone so much for your input!! I am very encouraged by what you are all sharing. I think I will move forward with my plan in the near future! I'm looking forward to getting this all set up.

Thanks again!

Tags
reconnect, sleep, wake, wifi