Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-19-2007, 06:37 PM   #1
oski24601
oski24601 began at the beginning.

Device: Tablet pc
Can the Kindle .AZW books be read on Win XP?

I just want to know if Amazon is going to let us purchase and view kindle ebooks on our computers (in my case, an XP tablet). Anyone know? (Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere)

From my point of view, the value of the Kindle is (hopefully) that ebooks will become more available and less expensive. The software and infrastructure matter to me, not the hardware.

Thanks!
oski24601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 06:42 PM   #2
Zoot
Connoisseur
Zoot began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
I'm pretty sure the answer is currently no, since there's no discussion of a PC reader program anywhere that I've seen.

Z.
Zoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2007, 04:35 PM   #3
ajju
Veteran mobile reader
ajju began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1.0
I read some posts suggesting that an AZW is just a PRC with a new extension. If that is true then you MAY be able to use the Mobipocket Reader to read this. Haven't tried it myself though.
ajju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 04:38 PM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajju View Post
I read some posts suggesting that an AZW is just a PRC with a new extension. If that is true then you MAY be able to use the Mobipocket Reader to read this. Haven't tried it myself though.
No. AZW files cannot be read by the current version of Mobi Desktop. Renaming the file does not change that.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 05:29 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
No. AZW files cannot be read by the current version of Mobi Desktop. Renaming the file does not change that.
If they are Mobipocket format, then you'd have to figure out a way to get the computer's PID inside the file somehow which you won't be able to do.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2007, 04:00 PM   #6
sshekels
sshekels began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
azw files

_Some_ azw files can be read by mobi-reader. I downloaded the azw version of the kindle users guide, and renamed it *.prc, and it opened just fine in the XP reader. Perhaps DRM is optional, depending on the title?

Anyone have a "true" book from Amazon? I dont see any way to buy one and download it anyplace other than wirelessly to a kindle...

S.
sshekels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 04:05 PM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sshekels View Post
_Some_ azw files can be read by mobi-reader. I downloaded the azw version of the kindle users guide, and renamed it *.prc, and it opened just fine in the XP reader. Perhaps DRM is optional, depending on the title?

Anyone have a "true" book from Amazon? I dont see any way to buy one and download it anyplace other than wirelessly to a kindle...

S.
turn off the wireless and buy one. You will see that it shows up on the download page at Amazon. Actually all of your purchases should be there already.

Dale

Last edited by DaleDe; 11-21-2007 at 04:06 PM. Reason: addition
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 04:26 PM   #8
sshekels

sadly...

That did not work. It indeed did show up, but says:

We're sorry, this title is not currently available for download.

We are investigating the difficulty with this title and ask that you try again in 24 hours. If after that time you are still unable to access this title, please contact us for further assistance. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Thank you for shopping at Amazon.com!

Same for a second book I tried. Unfortunately, the option of using USB is out, as my kindle has not yet arrived.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:36 PM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

We are investigating the difficulty with this title and ask that you try again in 24 hours. If after that time you are still unable to access this title, please contact us for further assistance. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Same for a second book I tried. Unfortunately, the option of using USB is out, as my kindle has not yet arrived.

Others have been successful in doing this and the manual clearly says that the files would be made available from their web site. Many folks, even in the US, are not able to receive EVDO signals. My house gets no reliable cellphone reception from anybody. Most are able to download their stuff just fine. Perhaps it is an overload of demand or perhaps if you try later you will find them.

Dale
Old 11-21-2007, 04:44 PM   #10
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I've been able to load books from Amazon via EVDO and USB.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 04:50 PM   #11
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:

They are having some trouble with device registration. I had that problem, but they fixed it.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 05:14 PM   #12
sshekels

converted documents are DRM free

it appears that documents converted via the kindle.com email are DRM less as well. Renaming them .PRC works just fine.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:10 PM   #13
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
it appears that documents converted via the kindle.com email are DRM less as well. Renaming them .PRC works just fine.
Great. I suspect they are just running them through a command line version of MobiPocket Reader for windows code and the process is totally automated.

Dale
Old 11-23-2007, 05:30 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Great. I suspect they are just running them through a command line version of MobiPocket Reader for windows code and the process is totally automated.

Dale
I'm certain it's automated. I don't imagine they have someone sitting there running a manual conversion tool on each file received .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 11:52 AM   #15
kgian
Enthusiast
kgian began at the beginning.

Device: EBW-1150
I guess if you copy the azw file to the pc,rename it to prc and then using a mobi decrypting tool (in countries where it is legal) , then you could have a readable file.
kgian is offline   Reply With Quote