Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-21-2011, 04:05 PM   #1
magnusl
magnusl has a spectacular aura aboutmagnusl has a spectacular aura aboutmagnusl has a spectacular aura aboutmagnusl has a spectacular aura aboutmagnusl has a spectacular aura aboutmagnusl has a spectacular aura aboutmagnusl has a spectacular aura aboutmagnusl has a spectacular aura aboutmagnusl has a spectacular aura aboutmagnusl has a spectacular aura aboutmagnusl has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS600
PRS-600 - frozen dead??

Hi!

I have a Sony PRS-600, that has worked nicely for a rather long time. But a few days ago, it just froze. I was reading an epub book, and the screen just froze, and has stayed that way since then. Displaying the text. I get no reaction whatsoever whichever button I press. I cannot turn it off. I've tried the Reset button on the bottom, pressing for a minute or more with the pin in the stylus - no reaction.

So I thought, let the battery run dry and then it'll shutdown and I can reboot. But still, after 4 days, it keeps showing the same page.

The only reaction I get is if I plug in the USB-cable to the computer, the red light goes on, indicating that it charges the battery. But the computer does not react, I mean, it does not identify the reader as a USB device at all, does not even give any error msgs (running Linux, I've checked the syslog - nothing).

Any ideas at all what I can do with it (excpet use it as a mousepad....)?

Best,

Magnus L
magnusl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 04:44 PM   #2
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Can you post a pic?
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2011, 04:51 PM   #3
Kiwimick
Addict
Kiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five words

Device: Sony PRS650
You might need to use a wall charger as sometimes in situations like this charging from the computer by USB does not work. If you have a PSP that charger should fit the 600.
It does sound like a the battery is flat. I used to have a 600 and when on this forum I remember a number of people saying that these sort of problems were better after a wall charge
Kiwimick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 06:44 PM   #4
magnusl
magnusl has a spectacular aura aboutmagnusl has a spectacular aura aboutmagnusl has a spectacular aura aboutmagnusl has a spectacular aura aboutmagnusl has a spectacular aura aboutmagnusl has a spectacular aura aboutmagnusl has a spectacular aura aboutmagnusl has a spectacular aura aboutmagnusl has a spectacular aura aboutmagnusl has a spectacular aura aboutmagnusl has a spectacular aura about

Hi!

Here's a pic (attached). Unfortunately I have nothing better than the webcam om my laptop..

But the problem is NOT that I cannot charge it. As you see, there's is text on the screen - it displays a page and has done so for the last 4 days. If I plug in the usb-cable, the red light goes on, indicating that it does charge. But that is not what I want. I want it to reboot, and get out of this frozen stage. I don't want to keep reading this one page for ages.

See? It has frozen in a state where it displays one page of text, and I cannot get it to react, not even shut it down.

Magnus
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-10-21-173951.jpg
Views:	804
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	78039  
Old 10-21-2011, 06:59 PM   #5
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
The fact that a page is showing doesn't mean anything... it takes no power to show a page, only to change it... it is entirely possible to have a page showing like that on a machine with a flat battery and it can only be changed when the machine is charged. The usual fix is to give a long charge, preferably on an external charger overnight but, if you have to charge from a computer then it needs to be left at least overnight whilst ensuring that the computer is not going into sleep mode...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2011, 07:07 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Did you try a reset by pushing the button with the stylus?

You unscrew the stylus and can then put it in the hole.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 07:34 PM   #7
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Did you try a reset by pushing the button with the stylus?

You unscrew the stylus and can then put it in the hole.
If you try this, keep in mind that the screen on an eReader does not auto-refresh, so to find out if the reset worked or not, you need to make it change the screen somehow. On my 950 I just move the power slider to activate the screensaver, and if the screen changes, then I know the soft reset worked.

If the reset button fails, try a hard reset next. WARNING: This will delete all content on your reader!!
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 08:36 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
After pressing the reset button slide the power switch to reboot the 600. I suggest doing this while the AC adapter is plugged into a power socket in case it is a drained battery as well as something else.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 11:07 PM   #9
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
The fact that a page is showing doesn't mean anything...
To me it means that the screen is not broken. Always my first concern when an ereader is reportedly "frozen."
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 11:28 PM   #10
magnusl

Hi again!

Wow, thanks!! Now it's working again.

What I did: plugged it itnto a usb 3-port, that as I understand it provides more power. After a few minutes it began reacting. So it seems the battery was flat.

I had abosulutely no idea that it could display a page without any battery. And what contributed to that confusion was that it did freeze while I was reading, and by then the battery was charged, so my hunch was that when the battery died, it would shut down the page. But that was not the fact. Interesting..

So, it's up and running, or rather, charging through the night. I've learned something, hopefully others can find it useful too.

Thanks a lot, guys!!

Magnus
Old 10-21-2011, 11:41 PM   #11
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnusl View Post
What I did: plugged it itnto a usb 3-port, that as I understand it provides more power.
It does. One of the changes in the USB standard from 2.0 to 3.0 is in the voltage provided by the port.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnusl View Post
I had abosulutely no idea that it could display a page without any battery. And what contributed to that confusion was that it did freeze while I was reading, and by then the battery was charged, so my hunch was that when the battery died, it would shut down the page. But that was not the fact. Interesting..
The way an eInk display works, it needs to reach over and grab power from the battery only when it changes the page. Displaying a page doesn't actually use up any power. Think of it as kinetics or physics: Moving an object requires a certain amount of force. Once said object is firmly in place, you don't need to use any force to keep it there. You do however need to apply force to move it back to the original spot. Same principle. (Sort of, and vastly over simplified. )
Old 10-23-2011, 05:19 AM   #12
Ashjuk
Fanatic
Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 600/650
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalyFreak View Post
It does. One of the changes in the USB standard from 2.0 to 3.0 is in the voltage provided by the port.
Not so.

The voltage of USB 3.0 is still the same at 5v otherwise you could end up damaging USB 2.0 devices by plugging them in. What has changed is the total power available which is a combination of both voltage and current.

Ohm's Law gives the equation P(power) = V(voltage) X I(current). Therefore total power can be increased in two ways, either by increasing the voltage or by increasing the current. In the case of USB 3.0 the voltage has remained at 5v so the only difference is the current that is available to a device.

As a device plugged into a USB port will only ever draw the maximum current it was designed to take from a USB port it was designed for, the advantage of using a USB 3.0 port for a USB 2.0 device is nil. The only devices that will get a benefit from USB 3.0 are those designed to the USB 3.0 standard.

Seems to me that all Magnus needed to do was charge the device, and that could have been from any source.
Ashjuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 07:34 AM   #13
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Ohm's Law refers to resistance not power and is different from this rule but what you said is spot on of course...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 10:53 AM   #14
Ashjuk
Fanatic
Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 600/650
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
Ohm's Law refers to resistance not power and is different from this rule but what you said is spot on of course...
In the strict sense of the law you are right in that it is the ratio of voltage/resistance/current. But as power is a factor of voltage and current it can be loosely referred to in the same vein as it also can be related to Joule's Law.

Anyway, hopefully, everyone got the point I was trying to make.
Ashjuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 12:37 PM   #15
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashjuk View Post
The voltage of USB 3.0 is still the same at 5v otherwise you could end up damaging USB 2.0 devices by plugging them in. What has changed is the total power available which is a combination of both voltage and current.
And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why we should not post without paying attention to what we're posting and the question we are being asked. I really should have remembered that.