Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-05-2011, 02:22 PM   #31
CommonReader
Fanatic
CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, PRS-650, Vaio Tap 11, iPad Mini
- The killing of pets. Yes, it is sentimental but I don't like it when the pet dog or cat gets killed. It does seem to get ever more popular as part of the plot. Almost no current thriller seems to be without a pet killing.

- The incompetent treatment of the German language in English books. Many authors like to insert some German expression or a German sentence to either show off their erudite education or to create an authentic atmosphere, e.g. in war time thrillers. Well, you can take it for granted that at least 50% of these attempts contain a glaring spelling or grammatical mistake.
This might still be acceptable if it only happened with low volume editions published by small publishing companies but it also happens with large publishers like Penguin.
A recent example: Martin Amis in his recent bestseller "The Pregnant Widow" talks about "Der Wirtschaftswunder". No, Mr. Amis, wrong gender, as any child of six could have told you it's "Das Wirtschaftswunder". As the whole novel is just one exercise in showing off intellectually glaring mistakes like this obviously spoil the effect. I don't even want to think about the botch job he has probably made with all his references to ancient Greek.
As German is spoken by more than 90 million native speakers a publisher should be able to spend 50 quid on having a couple of German terms proofread.
CommonReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 02:39 PM   #32
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
  • Glaring sex fails - She's petite, he's a giant. I'm 5'3" and I once dated a guy who was 6'7" - I KNOW what works and what doesn't.
Mind officially boggled
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2011, 03:27 PM   #33
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
Over the top descriptions - I don't need 2 pages of what the apple looks like.

Unnecessary profanity - Chuck Palahniuk seems to be the exception for me but most of the time they just seem to be swearing just to swear (or to look like a bad a**)

Whiny PITA people in the main cast - One book, the fiance of the main character cheats on her with her sister, leaves her and actually marries her sister, ends up dying in a skiing accident and throughout the whole book the sister is mourning and rubs it in the main character's face that she doesn't know what it's like to lose a husband and how cold and insensitive she is towards her loss. Like dude, you're a b****. It wouldn't have been too bad if she contributed to the story but the author could've left her out and lost nothing. Or at least made her a background character. tl;dr - stupid people are stupid
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 03:28 PM   #34
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
For me lots of things: vampires, zombies, wizards, magic spells, sex scenes, occult and supernatural entities.

I also like the dead to stay dead. Please, don't bring them back to life as in a case of mistaken identity and make them the murderer.

I also don't care for "improbability drives" in my stories.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:21 AM   #35
Darqref
space cadet
Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket PRO, gen3, Pocketbook360
Many of the items described above at different times. Also:

1. A book so relentlessly demoralizing that if I were a character I would kill myself. Most obvious memory is "Solaris"by Stanislaw Lem. (I understand that this might be made worse by an inadequate translation, but still...)

2. The latest fad piled on higher and deeper. Almost any subject that has been done too many times, and this one does not have something new or particularly well done that calls to me. I'm tired of vampires and such, there are stories I still read but new ones have a high bar to jump.

3. Too obvious political message, without enough story to cover or support it. Much can be forgiven if the story is well written, but especially at the beginning of a story, don't hit me with too much unsupported politics.
Darqref is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2011, 02:16 AM   #36
rxmom03
Addict
rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pixel 8, iPad Air, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
  • Glaring sex fails - She's petite, he's a giant. I'm 5'3" and I once dated a guy who was 6'7" - I KNOW what works and what doesn't.

That's all I can think of right now.
Can I sit in the corner with you and laugh? I am 5'4" and my late husband was 6'8".
rxmom03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 02:20 AM   #37
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
A book only gets killed, when it doesn't have at least a somewhat happy ending. People can die, but not all of them. Also, at least some good things must happen in a story. If it's only bad after bad after bad after bad, I'll lay it down and never look back.

(ever seen the movie Armageddon? Nothing worked as it should, and everything went wrong. Hated that movie)

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
I'm put off by encountering a gratuitously disgusting or shocking scene or action. These needless images make me put down the book immediately and forever. Shock schlock is no substitute for good writing.
Don't read Wilbur Smith then
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:49 AM   #38
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxmom03 View Post
Can I sit in the corner with you and laugh? I am 5'4" and my late husband was 6'8".
Sure! Come over here to my corner!
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:29 AM   #39
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
[QUOTE=Sweetpea;1570070]A book only gets killed, when it doesn't have at least a somewhat happy ending. People can die, but not all of them. Also, at least some good things must happen in a story. If it's only bad after bad after bad after bad, I'll lay it down and never look back.

Sorry, have to disagree.....Happy contrite Hollywood endings bore me to tears. 90% of books are so predictable even Bambi would get bored and she can't read.
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:35 AM   #40
Gronk
Zealot
Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, PW2, Sony PRS 950, 350
With ebooks it's Kindle DRM because I can't put it on my Sony.

I know that's not what you're looking for but that's what jumped to mind.
Gronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:21 AM   #41
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gronk View Post
With ebooks it's Kindle DRM because I can't put it on my Sony.

I know that's not what you're looking for but that's what jumped to mind.
That seems to be more of a non-starter, as opposed to "I started it and will never finish" but are there really that many books that are ONLY on Kindle?
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:40 AM   #42
Assassin
Connoisseur
Assassin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Assassin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Assassin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Assassin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Assassin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Assassin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Assassin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Assassin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Assassin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Assassin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Assassin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: kindle
Wow!! Am I different. About the only thing that will cause me to stop reading a book is if it is just plain terrible; poor editing, unpredictable characters who constantly change emotions, unbelievable plot, too much or too little detail to convey an image of the scene. I wouldn't even start a horror, sci fic, or fantasy story because I don't like those subjects.
I'm not turned off by profanity, detailed sex, or abuse IF it is important to the story itself; ie as in a character study, to drive home exactly what type of personality the character has. Or if it is necessary to show changes over time in the character's behavior. Limiting a writer to no sex, no profanity, no explicit violence, no animal deaths, no, no, no is like tying his hands and feet and telling him to swim.
However, I do agree it is the readers absolute right to avoid issues that turn them off. I quit reading John Sandford's novels because of his injection of his liberal political views. When I want political commentary I'll buy non-fiction dealing with that issue.
And the story doesn't need to have a happy ending for me to enjoy it. Some works should end badly, that can be the whole point of the story. Those simply aren't good reads for people who need positive endings.

Last edited by Assassin; 06-06-2011 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Forgot something
Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:20 PM   #43
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
The Eight Deadly Words.

The only book I didn't finish for any other reason was one in which the opening paragraph was, literally, a graphic description of homosexual oral sex. I'm pretty sure I'd have liked to see every character in that book die horribly, but I never made it to the second paragraph, so I don't know for sure.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 01:09 PM   #44
Shimarenda
Addict
Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
A book only gets killed, when it doesn't have at least a somewhat happy ending. People can die, but not all of them. Also, at least some good things must happen in a story. If it's only bad after bad after bad after bad, I'll lay it down and never look back.
Sorry, have to disagree.....Happy contrite Hollywood endings bore me to tears. 90% of books are so predictable even Bambi would get bored and she can't read.
I think there is some middle ground between trite and the relentless misery that pervades the worldview of some authors.
Shimarenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 01:44 PM   #45
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
- badly edited
- badly proofread
- incorrect foreign language words/sentences
- badly written prose (Dan Brown)
- stilted, unnatural sounding dialogue (e.g. Stieg Larsson)

And I think that's it. If the author know her (or his) craft and writes well, I'm not so picky about subject-matter. When done well, I love heavily descriptive prose - but only when done well, and that's a rarity.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote