Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-03-2010, 05:21 PM   #1
steve3
steve3 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Feature request: Remap spacebar to turn page forward

The one feature that would make my Kindle 3 an absolutely perfect device for me is if I could change to the next page using the spacebar. Anyone know if this is possible?

The most comfortable way for me to hold the Kindle 3 is with my fingers behind the Kindle and my thumb over the space bar. If I could turn the page with it I'd be all set. The only thing the spacebar does currently is bring up a blank search bar, which I could always just do by typing any random letter then backspacing.

Also, thanks so much to those responsible for the screensaver hack.. it's fantastic.
steve3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 06:18 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, steve3

I hold the K3 about the same way, but use four fingers behind, the thumb resting on the 'next page' button.

However,.......to each his own.......
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2010, 04:59 PM   #3
steve3

Thanks for the reply desertgrandma. I also usually hold my kindle with my thumb resting on the next page button on the side, but if I could change the page with the spacebar I'd be more apt to hold at the bottom (I think it balances better). Any idea if changing the page with the spacebar would be a possible hack?
Old 11-04-2010, 05:14 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve3 View Post
Thanks for the reply desertgrandma. I also usually hold my kindle with my thumb resting on the next page button on the side, but if I could change the page with the spacebar I'd be more apt to hold at the bottom (I think it balances better). Any idea if changing the page with the spacebar would be a possible hack?
You'd have to ask the experts that.......
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 05:20 PM   #5
qdlaty
qdlaty began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Asus Transformer
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
You'd have to ask the experts that.......
Somebody just need to prepare little modified keymap to make it permanent or we can exec a remap command everytime device is restarted to set up space bar. But then there will be a problem in typing text with spaces...
qdlaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2010, 05:56 PM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
No X11 -> no xkb -> no straightforward 'keymap' (And we're not in a Linux terminal, so, no console keymap either).

On the other hand, there are two different keypress-related hacks that *may* be able to help with what you want.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 11-04-2010 at 07:30 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:46 PM   #7
steve3

Could you point me in the right direction NiLuJe for those keypress related hacks? I just found this thread by searching for "keypress." (I searched around before my initial post but didn't think to search for that term). Is that what I'm looking for? If so, I'll try to make sense of it. Thanks a lot.
Old 11-09-2010, 03:44 AM   #8
FethryDuck
Addict
FethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle3, DXG
Just a note - spacebar advance pages in the Duokan system
FethryDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 01:18 PM   #9
Starko
Zealot
Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In Landscape mode Next/Previous keys are not easy to use.
Using Spacebar would be perfect (especially with keyboard on the right)
Starko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 07:22 AM   #10
FethryDuck
Addict
FethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle3, DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve3 View Post
The one feature that would make my Kindle 3 an absolutely perfect device for me is if I could change to the next page using the spacebar. Anyone know if this is possible?

The most comfortable way for me to hold the Kindle 3 is with my fingers behind the Kindle and my thumb over the space bar. If I could turn the page with it I'd be all set. The only thing the spacebar does currently is bring up a blank search bar, which I could always just do by typing any random letter then backspacing.

Also, thanks so much to those responsible for the screensaver hack.. it's fantastic.
The Duokan use the spacebar for page advance. Personally I have experimented with a elastic strap on the back. I saw someone else use Velcro The ss-hack is NiLuJe ! It is very nice indeed.
FethryDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 11:07 AM   #11
baccilus
Enthusiast
baccilus began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
This would be very useful in the Landscape mode.
baccilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:13 PM   #12
Lion__1
Lion__1 began at the beginning.

i was searching the same - too bad that there is no solution atm....
Lion__1 is offline   Reply With Quote