Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 07-17-2009, 08:36 PM   #1
Gadget17
Gadget17 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Using the Reader for Quizzes???

OK, first post so be gentle.

I have converted the US Ham Radio questions to PDF for my book reader.

Am now wondering if anyone has any ideas if it's possible to use the reader in a more interactive way for displaying the questions.

All the questions are multiple choice with 4 answers. A few have images as well.

Thanks in advance
Gadget17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 08:57 PM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
You could use BookDesigner to create an LRF format book. Pose the questions with the choices, then put in a page break, then for the next page copy the same info and highlight the answer. It's pretty easy, the program is free somewhere around here.

Not really how it was meant to be used, but hey, sure sounds like it could work.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2009, 12:20 PM   #3
xanlexian
Connoisseur
xanlexian began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505 / Nook GL / Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget17 View Post

Am now wondering if anyone has any ideas if it's possible to use the reader in a more interactive way for displaying the questions.

All the questions are multiple choice with 4 answers. A few have images as well.

Thanks in advance
Hi there Gadget!

I can relate to what you are doing. I tried the same thing when I studied for my General earlier this year. In all reality, I just gave up on it, printed out the Study Guide, three-hole punched it, put it in a binder and went that route.

The images WILL give you a hassle on the PRS-505.

Good luck and 73,
--Alex / KF4YOR (13wpm Tech Plus since 1998, General since 03.14.09 -- Pi Day!)
xanlexian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 12:28 PM   #4
Gadget17

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanlexian View Post
Hi there Gadget!

I can relate to what you are doing. I tried the same thing when I studied for my General earlier this year. In all reality, I just gave up on it, printed out the Study Guide, three-hole punched it, put it in a binder and went that route.

The images WILL give you a hassle on the PRS-505.

Good luck and 73,
--Alex / KF4YOR (13wpm Tech Plus since 1998, General since 03.14.09 -- Pi Day!)
Actually the images didn't cause that much of a problem as I formatted the plain text versions in word at the correct size for reader and had one image question per page.

They aren't perfect, but are readable.

Back to my main point though, I should have been a bit clearer on my idea.

Is there a way to use the side buttons to possibly select the answer and only if correct move onto next question. Although I may try the idea about 1 question per page and then highlight the answer on the following page.

73 (Ham Radio abbreviation for "best regards")

Paul MØTZO / WØTZO (also US General License holder, not used yet though)
Old 07-18-2009, 12:33 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget17 View Post

Thanks in advance
No idea. But, I do know that for the iPhone/iPod Touch there is a app called "flash cards" or something like that to do something like this.

BOb

BTW: My brother is a Ham. Good luck getting your ticket.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2009, 04:47 AM   #6
stalker4
stalker4 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
I dont know if this helps but the software I find best for quizz creation is Hot Potatoes, it's free for personal use and does an excellent job
http://hotpot.uvic.ca/

Good luck in getting your ticket from a UK Ham
stalker4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 07:21 PM   #7
Gadget17

Hehe, I already have my UK & a US ticket.

Anyway, I have left them as I originally formatted and uploaded to the site I run called hamtests.net

Might sort our UK mock questions in a similar fashion soon.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:33 AM   #8
darkpoet
ePub Headbanger
darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Boox Poke4 / Sony PRS-505
Err, I know it's not the first choice but there are 'Choose Your Own Adventure' Books in PDF and though a bit tough to read, very workable on the 505.
darkpoet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ham radio, questions, quiz