Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-02-2013, 04:34 PM   #331
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
...I took a closer look at the Dell Inspiron 10 and that may be a workable solution, it's just a bit on the expensive side with the docking station.
Do you mean the Dell Latitude 10?
There's a cheaper version.
I forgot the exact name. Something like "Latitude 10 essential edition".
Dell has stripped 2 security features, as far as I remember and the WACOM functionality.
This edition goes for € 499, if I remember correctly. Plus docking station would mean less than € 700 = cheaper than Surface RT and even more so than Surface Pro.
I'm quite happy with mine (I've got the full version but quite frankly rarely use the WACOM pen).

Last edited by mgmueller; 04-02-2013 at 04:36 PM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:34 PM   #332
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
A lot of the devices on that page are USB to hdmi adaptors. I use these to add extra displays to my laptops and PCs. You can hang them off a hub, so the only limit to the number of displays is the CPUs ability to manage the displays.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:11 PM   #333
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Microsoft Surface Pro

It already did arrive here in my hometown in the regional delivery hub.
So it really should be delivered today.
If so, I'll post first impressions today (Wednesday) around noon CET.
And I'm on a train tomorrow for 4 hours. I'll use this time intensively
Old 04-03-2013, 01:34 AM   #334
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Do you mean the Dell Latitude 10?
There's a cheaper version.
I forgot the exact name. Something like "Latitude 10 essential edition".
Dell has stripped 2 security features, as far as I remember and the WACOM functionality.
This edition goes for € 499, if I remember correctly. Plus docking station would mean less than € 700 = cheaper than Surface RT and even more so than Surface Pro.
I'm quite happy with mine (I've got the full version but quite frankly rarely use the WACOM pen).
Yes, I meant the Latitude 10, but I only found one version on Dell's Swedish site. I'll be sure to look again though. There was no keyboard with the version I found, not that I require one, but the Surface comes with a Touch Cover, so I perceived it as more expensive.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:37 AM   #335
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
A lot of the devices on that page are USB to hdmi adaptors. I use these to add extra displays to my laptops and PCs. You can hang them off a hub, so the only limit to the number of displays is the CPUs ability to manage the displays.
Does that make them PnP? Seems like a smart solution. I never knew monitors could run on USB, I thought they had to be connected to the graphic card.

Edit; Too bad they don't accept PayPal.

Last edited by Kumabjorn; 04-03-2013 at 01:41 AM.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:06 AM   #336
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
I guess they are PnP. Plug in the usb connector, the device is discovered, drivers are installed, and my computer finds a new screen.

Meritline does accept Paypal. I have four of these. If you are patient, they are routinely discounted to $30. I picked up a bunch of hdmi to DVI cables for older monitors without HDMI connectors.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:20 AM   #337
mgmueller
Member Retired

Microsoft Surface Pro

Just having booted it for the very first time.
So far, it's great.
I don't hear the fan so far, I don't think it's active yet.
Display is great, but quite frankly I had been fine with Surface RT's or Dell Latitude 10's display as well.
Right now I'm in settings and in the Metro mode, so the higher resolution isn't that important yet.
The pen could be a bit more "valuable/stylish". But I'm not really surprised, similar to the pen of Dell Latitude 10.
The pen attaches nicely to the tablet's magnetic power supply connector. And it still, even with attached pen fits into the sleeve I had bought before.
I'm using the type cover on it and stick to the touch cover on Surface RT.

I'm just resetting Surface Pro and Surface RT to their original state.
Surface RT is way faster for that than Dell Latitude 10 or Asus VivoTab Smart.
I'm curios, how Surface Pro compares.
Obviously, Windows 8 Pro is more time consuming than Windows RT.
On the other hand, Surface Pro with it's faster processor should make up for it...

Surface RT already is resetted.
Surface Pro is at 65%. Way faster than Dell Latitude 10 or Asus VivoTab Smart, but I'll check all 4 in parallel at some later point.

Now I'm hearing the fan on Surface Pro for the first time.
I had to make sure, could have been the refrigerator or something like that 5m away as well.
At this noise level, it wouldn't bother me at all. Fan noise on Sony Duo 11 had been way louder.
Still: I'm not a fan (but who is?) of fan noise on tablets. But there doesn't seem to be another way for now, if one insists on more power than an Atom processor can deliver.

The fan is off again.
I've folded the type cover back and use the Surface Pro in tablet mode.
When taking it up, the type cover is noticeably warm. Not hot at all, but warm.
Not bothersome, but recognisable.

Playing around with Surface Pro and Surface RT in parallel.
I have to track the battery consumption.
But that's the only reason I can imagine for now for using Surface RT.
Surface Pro has almost the same aesthetics (a bit more bulky, but still beautiful) but way more power.
I guess, I'll convert my Surface RT to a "convenience" tablet, focusing on reading magaznes and such.
And Surface Pro as my "working horse".
But tomorrow, on my trip, I'll take them both of course.

The pen from Dell Latitude 10 (WACOM active) is working on Surface Pro as well.
(I didn't test the pressure sensitivity though, only the basics).
So, obviously Surface Pro is using WACOM as well.
I hadn't been sure about that, didn't find a clear statement in the web.

Puh, it's heavy!
Of course you read about it. But you have to experience yourself.
I don't have problems, surfing on it in landscape format, basically resting it on my stomach.
But I can't imagine, holding it in my hands for hours to read a book on it. I couldn't do so on iPad for more than, let's say, 2 hours or so. And Surface Pro even is a bit "fatter" and heavier.
I didn't like the curved edges on iPad (preferred the form factor of iPad 1 over the other ones), but the "cubic" form of Surface doesn't help either. I guess, slightly rounded edges would be the best.
Anyway, no biggy for me. It's not intended to be my reader for books. Some magazines at best. But books I'll keep reading on Kindle Paperwhite for example.

So, I'm done for today.
Already packed Surface RT and Pro for my trip in 10 hours.
Just a 2 days trip, so I'll only take with me:
Surface RT + touch cover
Surface Pro + type cover
MacBook Air
iPhone 4S (for now my phone, as I had to send Lumia 920 to repair)

I've thought about taking a reader or 7" tablet with me.
Reading on the Surfaces is a bit tricky. On a crowded train, a smaller gadget would be helpful. And after a while, even Surface RT really gets heavy.

Unfortunately, I have to take some documents and cloths with me as well, but only want to take a single bag. So I've decided against a tablet.
Might watch a movie on Surface Pro to check out the display.

Probably will try BlueStacks on Surface Pro over the weekend.

Verdict so far:
I love, what Microsoft has done here.
IMHO they deserve way more praise than they get.
The hardware definitely is beyond criticism. It's not perfect, but absolutely ranks in the top 10%.
The price, for what you get, in my opinion is okay as well.
About the OS there seem to be 2 factions:
a.) It's to complicated and in desktop mode some menus or icons are hard to aim at with your finger.
I don't find the OS complicated at all. There are half a dozen touch gestures you have to learn, but the rest to me seems self-explanatory.
I rarely use the pen on Dell Latitude 10. Maybe I'll need it more often on Surface Pro because of the higher resolution. But in general I don't have problems hitting my targets on the desktop.
And you can do so much more.
Starting with all the Android apps in BLueStacks and of course the tons of legacy software.
The niche for Surface RT obviously is way smaller, due to lack of legacy software. But I still love it.
b.) It's by far the most open and flexible OS.
That's my point of view.
I love iPad. But I'd never call it a tool or "working machine". It's a gadget. A great one, but mainly for fun.
I've slightly preferred Android in the past because of the file system: You actually can move around your documents and really "work" with them.
But of course Windows 8 (Pro) beats Android in that instance.

Meaning: I love both surfaces.
I will buy the next iPad though. And an iPad mini with Retina display.
And the rumored new Nexus 7.
And...

Last edited by mgmueller; 04-04-2013 at 11:34 PM.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:32 AM   #338
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Thanks, keep'm coming.
Since you can use the same Type Cover I assume they have the same form factors.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:54 AM   #339
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Thanks, keep'm coming.
Since you can use the same Type Cover I assume they have the same form factors.
Same size, only Surface Pro is a few mm "fatter".
What I really like: All looks and feels the same on both Surfaces.
Only visible difference: Surface RT has its Micro SD slot under the kickstand. Surface Pro has its on the right side, above the power connector.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:57 AM   #340
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Being fatter doesn't affect the Type Cover? It still works as a cover?
Old 04-03-2013, 11:05 AM   #341
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Being fatter doesn't affect the Type Cover? It still works as a cover?
Works perfectly fine.
And has been designed for that from the very beginning.

If you lay down your Surface onto the table, the cover (looking from the top) is adjusted at the very same point.
So if you fold it over the display, it protects the screen exactly the same.
The engineeric tricky part is, when folding the cover to the back, behind the tablet.
It folds in a slightly different angle/curve then and works perfectly fine.
No problems at all.

As Surface Pro is "fatter" than Surface RT, when folding to the back the cover doesn't "reach as far".
On Surface RT, it reaches the end of the back panel of the tablet.
On Surface Pro, it ends slightly differently.
But the difference in "fatness" only is 0,16", easily compensated by the angle, bending and the likes.
You don't see any difference at all between the tablets re. look and feel of the very same cover.

Last edited by mgmueller; 04-03-2013 at 11:12 AM.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:52 PM   #342
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
... So I guess, the ARM processor in Dell Latitude 10 isn't adequate. But for the rest, I really like the Windows tablets.
The Latitude 10 has an Intel® Atom™ processor Z2760, and runs the 32 bit version of Windows 8, like several other Intel Atom based tablets (Mine is a Samsung ATIV Smart PC).

The difference is less RAM and the Surface Pro runs Windows 8 Professional 64 bit on an Intel® Core i5 processor.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:19 PM   #343
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
The Latitude 10 has an Intel® Atom™ processor Z2760...
Ups, you're right of course. Edited from "ARM" to "Atom" processor.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:36 AM   #344
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Now that you have had it for a few more hours, is it still quiet? The fan only goes in at a certain temperature? I would assume there is a noticeable difference in battery Life, enough to affect your work?
Old 04-04-2013, 11:42 AM   #345
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Thinking I'll check out the 7/8" model for the Surface when it becomes available.

I spend way too much time on Tablet News checking out anticipated releases.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote