Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-28-2012, 01:07 PM   #16
MovieBird
TuxSlash
MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: GlowNook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
I can't even access www.google.com I end up at www.google.co.ma
I'm starting to think I might have a virus problem.
Many websites try to redirect to the geographically appropriate version of their webpage. To get around it, try HTTP Secure:

https://www.google.com
MovieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:18 PM   #17
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
It's Google's page. They can put whatever they want on it. I don't think it'll be there very long either. I just wish I had the money for a Nexus 7, but I can't justify getting rid of a six-month-old Nook Tablet. I want to see what Amazon will come out with next week. Will it be locked down like the current Fire?
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:27 PM   #18
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieBird View Post
Many websites try to redirect to the geographically appropriate version of their webpage. To get around it, try HTTP Secure:

https://www.google.com
I did use the https moniker. That is why I was so surprised. And being in Sweden I don't understand why they put me on an Arabic page.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:57 PM   #19
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Seldom use google.com URL. Firefox has an about:home builtin that's been my homepage for ages. Now you've made me look, though I doubt I'm all that interested in a new tablet right now.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:05 PM   #20
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Kumabjorn--
A while back I had a nasty virus on my computer. What it would do in either internet explorer or firefox (never tried Chrome) is when I tried to go to Google.com, it would redirect my browser elsewhere--usually to a different country/language Google page. In my case, the virus also affected the first few links that google would come up with--redirecting me to some random page. Very annoying! It was on my work computer, so the IT staff here spent quite a while trying to get rid of it. They finally did, but I don't know what they ended up doing--do know they did find something that finally cleaned it up though. Hope this isn't your problem--and sorry I don't remember more about the solution to mine.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:08 PM   #21
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
When you first open Google, that image pops up and then "snaps back".

"Hey Apple attorneys, did you notice that too?"
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:09 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've told adblockplus to block the image and it has. No more advert.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:25 PM   #23
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Thanks Mike.
I got there on IE (32 bit) and yes, I do have the Google Toolbar. When things like this happen I'll probably remove it. I refuse to be controlled by a machine.
I switched to Yahoo for search because Google keeps redirecting me to google.de when I type in google.com. The only way I can get to google.com is to use my VPN. Why bother, when there are other search engines available?
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:03 PM   #24
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
I don't get that ad when I visit google.com?

For those that complain of getting redirected to their local google, there's a link at the bottom right of the google page that will take you to the .com version.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:11 PM   #25
StoryEnthusiast
K. C. Lee
StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone
I don't see the ad. When I type google.com, it always redirects to google.co.nz because Google just assumes I'm only interested in things happening where I am located.
StoryEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:12 PM   #26
300com
Zealot
300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
Very interesting.

I've always believed that the reason for Alta Vista's demise was that their search page was over-crowded with images, headlines, thumbnails, and other distractions, including a fair number of adverts. When Google came along, users instantly took a liking to its clean, uncluttered search page, so much so that it soon knocked Alta Vista from its spot at the top of the search engines.
Mike
Google had better search algorithms than all the other search engines. That's why. It had nothing to do with your theory.
300com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:47 AM   #27
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by 300com View Post
Google had better search algorithms than all the other search engines. That's why. It had nothing to do with your theory.
Maybe. But I doubt the average searcher would have noticed any difference in the search results, which is why I disagree with your theory.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:53 PM   #28
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
It's interesting, but I haven't gone to google's home page in years.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:05 PM   #29
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
Very interesting.

I've always believed that the reason for Alta Vista's demise was that their search page was over-crowded with images, headlines, thumbnails, and other distractions, including a fair number of adverts. When Google came along, users instantly took a liking to its clean, uncluttered search page, so much so that it soon knocked Alta Vista from its spot at the top of the search engines.

Mike
I actually heard Marissa Mayer speak about this years ago. She said that when they first did user testing on the Google home page, people sat on front of the page for a long time and didn't click on anything. Finally the testing moderator had to say, "what are you looking at? are you waiting for something?" and the user would say, "I'm waiting for the page to finish loading." The design was so clean relative to everything else out there at the time, users thought it was unfinished.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:54 PM   #30
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
I make http://www.google.com/ my home page so when I start IE8 up it is to that
page.

Now the Google tablet Ad is no longer there - but now there is a blue bar a the top
of the page with a tab to "Install Google Chrome"

So the ads continue.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote