Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-17-2012, 09:38 PM   #1
Phoebemy
Phoebemy began at the beginning.

Device: kindle fire
Do the number of pages in an ebook differ from the number of pages in a physical book

I know that for an ebook there are 2-3 ebook pages per page number. But are the total number of pages different in an ebook than a physical book? My ebook copy of Twilight says that there are 254 pages, but I know the physical book has 498 pages.... If you have an ebook copy of really any book that you legally purchased could you list the number of pages it says it has?
Phoebemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:59 PM   #2
Harper Kingsley
Clone Trooper
Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoebemy View Post
I know that for an ebook there are 2-3 ebook pages per page number. But are the total number of pages different in an ebook than a physical book? My ebook copy of Twilight says that there are 254 pages, but I know the physical book has 498 pages.... If you have an ebook copy of really any book that you legally purchased could you list the number of pages it says it has?
I'm a little confused by that last but yes, ebooks and print books have different numbers. The ebook is usually figured by however many page turns it will take you to get through the book in digital format. The print book has different page numbers because of font type and size.

My book Heroes & Villains is 379 pages on Kindle estimate, while the print is 298; really 135,000 words. It's because the Kindle version is Arial size 12, while the print is Georgia size 11. I tried to make the least amount of print pages possible to keep consumer costs down... while I think for Twilight, because it's YA and publisher funded, they use probably a size 12-14 font with 1/5 a line of space between every line, though I don't know the word count.

Hope that helps
Harper Kingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:08 PM   #3
maxiart
The Black-Hearted
maxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the husk

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harper Kingsley View Post
The ebook is usually figured by however many page turns it will take you to get through the book in digital format. The print book has different page numbers because of font type and size.
I wish my Nook STR worked like that Instead, each page is an arbitrary number of characters, so you could 'turn' a lot of 'pages' but the device would still say you are on the same one :/
maxiart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:17 PM   #4
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harper Kingsley View Post
I'm a little confused by that last but yes, ebooks and print books have different numbers. The ebook is usually figured by however many page turns it will take you to get through the book in digital format. The print book has different page numbers because of font type and size.
http://blog.threepress.org/2009/11/2...-ncx-pagelist/ explains how pages are determined, at least in the Adobe system which most ereaders and ereading software uses.

Short version: an epub will either use a complicated system called a "page map" or, when the page map doesn't exist, declare a new page every 1024 characters.

Sadly, few ereaders and software will do a page count based on page turns (which would be determined by your current font settings and the formatting inside the epub itself), and will instead just display the current Adobe page you're on, even if it takes 3-4 page turns to get through the "page".
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:31 PM   #5
charlesatan
Addict
charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Yes.

And print books, if they have different versions/editions, will also have different page numbers from each other.

It will also vary between devices/apps. Reading an eBook (using iBooks) on my iPod Touch will give me a different page count from reading the eBook on my iPad.
charlesatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:44 PM   #6
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
With ebooks the number of page turns will vary by the size of the text you choose to use. The text of the book will be the same as the paper version regardless if that is what you were asking about.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:14 PM   #7
BeDapper
BeDapper began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
It may, but not by much.
BeDapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:25 PM   #8
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
If you look up a specific book on Goodreads and look at other edition, you will see as much as a 30% difference in the pages in mass market paperbacks.
Rex Stout's Fer-de-Lance is one example. http://www.goodreads.com/work/editio...4-fer-de-lance

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:14 AM   #9
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
There is some good info on page numbering in the MR WiKi: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Page_numbers
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:11 AM   #10
DarkScribe
Apprentice Curmudgeon.
DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Touch, Paperwhite, Sony, and Nook.
Amazon has a "sync page" system on some eBooks. The page that you are reading correlates with the page on the print version. It only appears on a few of the books that I have downloaded, and only on the more expensive books. I think that it only works with touch as I don't see it on my DX.

Last edited by DarkScribe; 07-18-2012 at 06:15 AM.
DarkScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:26 PM   #11
SleepyBob
Evangelist
SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesatan View Post
Yes.

And print books, if they have different versions/editions, will also have different page numbers from each other.
Exactly. When the same book/edition has a different number of pages in the hardcover, paperback, trade and Scholastic printings, I don't know why you wouldn't expect the ebook to have a different page count, as well.
SleepyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:06 PM   #12
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkScribe View Post
Amazon has a "sync page" system on some eBooks. The page that you are reading correlates with the page on the print version. It only appears on a few of the books that I have downloaded, and only on the more expensive books. I think that it only works with touch as I don't see it on my DX.
The last update for the DX was 2.5.8, the same as the K2. The K3/KK received the 3.1 firmware for real page numbers in February of last year. I didn't realize my K3 had updated until I stumbled onto the page numbering by accident.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:25 AM   #13
DarkScribe
Apprentice Curmudgeon.
DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Touch, Paperwhite, Sony, and Nook.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW View Post
The last update for the DX was 2.5.8, the same as the K2. The K3/KK received the 3.1 firmware for real page numbers in February of last year. I didn't realize my K3 had updated until I stumbled onto the page numbering by accident.
Thanks. I'll have to look at my firmware - I have not updated it in all the time I have had it. I tend to use the Touch more nowadays - it is simpler to carry - though I prefer the DX for relaxed reading.
DarkScribe is offline   Reply With Quote