Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 02-14-2012, 12:50 PM   #1
pumpkincat
User
pumpkincat began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox iPad iPhone
does 'night mode' use more power?

I frequently turn my Kobo Vox to 'night mode' when reading in bed. During the day I often forget to return the display back to 'normal'. If I keep it on 'night mode' will it use more power and shorten the battery life?
pumpkincat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:25 PM   #2
hpulley
Addict
hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Vox, Playbook32
No more power on night mode. Turning the screen brightness to its lowest setting will enhance battery life. Won't affect the battery long term either way.
hpulley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:50 PM   #3
Jesslynne
Zealot
Jesslynne doesn't litterJesslynne doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Mini
Seeing as I only use night mode. It won't drain battery any quicker.
Jesslynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:56 AM   #4
renee0986
Enthusiast
renee0986 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
I often wondered if night mode would use less battery. I often have mine in night mode or the lowest possible screen brightness in the Kobo settings. Everywhere I've read the Vox claims to have up to 7 hours of battery (with WIFI off) life but I often go well beyond that with my WiFi turned off. I've always wondered if I've just gotten lucky and had a good battery of it the night mode and lowest brightness setting really saved so much battery to extend the life of my vox by 2-3 hours.
renee0986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:31 AM   #5
Jesslynne
Zealot
Jesslynne doesn't litterJesslynne doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Mini
my battery life has always exceeded the minimums, so might be. cause I read with night mode, brightness at lowest and the screen filter dimming the screen further.
Jesslynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:56 AM   #6
scrapking
Evangelist
scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpulley View Post
No more power on night mode. Turning the screen brightness to its lowest setting will enhance battery life. Won't affect the battery long term either way.
I always read with the Vox set to auto adjust dim for the ambient lighting of the room. Is manually turning the brightness to the lowest setting less bright than that?
scrapking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 03:00 PM   #7
hpulley
Addict
hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.

Yes, all the way down seems to be lower than auto adjust will go.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:32 PM   #8
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
I've disabled automatic brightness control because I find fluctuates widely depending on how I hold the Vox.
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:56 AM   #9
hpulley
Addict

Agreed, auto is annoying if your hand covers the sensor and fluorescent lights can confuse it too.
Old 02-25-2012, 01:34 PM   #10
pumpkincat
User
pumpkincat began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox iPad iPhone
I guess my question about "night mode" and battery life is: if setting the brightness level to low saves battery - probably because the device uses less power to generate the black on a white background -then - would the device require more power to generate the black for a background when displaying white text?
pumpkincat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 01:39 PM   #11
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
Yes, that is the question and one that only someone who actually knows how oled screens (that is what we have, right?) work and consume power can answer. Which is apparently no one in this thread.
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote