Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-27-2011, 04:49 PM   #16
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
I'd rather Calibre did one thing (ebook management and conversion) well than lots of things badly.
Quote:
Things tend to get done badly when the focus of a software goes too big...
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
Ever heard the expression "jack of all trades, master of none"?...
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
...I'm a Ludite.

My phone just makes calls
My book reader displays books (it will play MP3's,but it is a PITA. That is probably a side feature from the Text to Speach).
My Library manager (Calibre) does e-books...
Like our quacking friend, I'm also a bit of a luddite only my e-book reader won't play mp3s. While there are devices and programs that will do many functions, they rarely do any of those functions well. Smart phones are great (except for the monthly bill they incur!) but the small screen severely limits their numerous capabilities. Their one strong suit is portability. Nero used to be the standard for burning CDs but became so feature bloated, none of the features worked well anymore.

Calibre is a huge program with equally huge capabilities. It does what it does well because it concentrates on doing one thing: managing e-books. If calibre were to take on managing videos and music, besides being more complex to use (since each medium has its own unique needs for management), it would become so huge, it would monopolize computer resources. Many people have such huge e-book libraries, they complain about the time it takes to boot calibre (this issue has improved dramatically since I started using calibre and probably will keep improving). It would be worse if calibre added people's video and music collections. Adding to the potential bloat would be the players, conversion routines, etc. needed for the added media.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 02:10 PM   #17
AmenAmen
AmenAmen began at the beginning.

Device: archos 9
For movies I can recommend:
http://www.mymovies.dk/
it works nice with windows media center (which is actually quite nice), you can include digital and physical media.

For music:
If you have your mp3s or flacs tagged with integrated album graphics and folder graphics, including lyrics is a bit overkill in my opinion, wmc again works well, as do most media players.

Pictures:
Lightroom? Adobe Bridge? I dont know.

Books:
Calibre does best.
AmenAmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 06:12 PM   #18
drMerry
Addict
drMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmos

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penru View Post
Thank you for explaining to me why this idea may not work. It seams that you have a firm understanding of not on only what I want Calibre to do, but also the internal workings. could you recommend a program like Calibre for my movies?
I myself use Movie Organizer moodb.net
But if you want something that also can play your media, try mediamonkey with the vlc-plugin

Also a lot of other scripts can be found.
drMerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 11:38 PM   #19
mangus580
mangus580 began at the beginning.

Device: Android
Yanno, I love Calibre for my ebooks. It does an awesome job..... now, that said, i wish i could ingetrate my audio books as well. I understand the comments about movies & music, and I agree.

Audio books though, I feel should be included. Think about it. You have a book, and several formats of said book (epub, mobi, pdf - for instance). If you have it in mp3 format too, it should just be able to list that format as well, and offer it up to the user. I like to collect both, and it would be very nice to have all organized in the same manner.

I honestly think its a no brainer to add audiobook support to Calibre. I understand the issues around format conversion with audio - that doesnt need to be a feature (yet at least). But I dont see it being very hard to get it to recognize audio book files, and tag them appropriately just like ebooks. I suppose there might have to be some preference settings to tell it how to manage them for specific devices (as you may need to put your audio books in a different location than ebooks on your device).

Long story short... a book is a book... be it epub, mobi, pdf, azw, doc, mp3, etc... Makes sense for Calibre to be the end all 'electronic' book library, both e-book and audio...
mangus580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 03:40 AM   #20
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangus580 View Post
Long story short... a book is a book... be it epub, mobi, pdf, azw, doc, mp3, etc... Makes sense for Calibre to be the end all 'electronic' book library, both e-book and audio...
I don't agree with you, but I have a tip: I haven't tried this myself, but I heard that if you put an audiobook into a ZIP file and import that, you can get it into Calibre.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 04:09 AM   #21
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
I don't agree with you, but I have a tip: I haven't tried this myself, but I heard that if you put an audiobook into a ZIP file and import that, you can get it into Calibre.
I've never done this either but if you use zip it seems to me that it could get written over by an added html file. Might be best to use rar.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 04:52 AM   #22
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
I've never done this either but if you use zip it seems to me that it could get written over by an added html file. Might be best to use rar.
This definitely works as I have used that technique myself. It does mean that on extracting the book from Calibre the audio files then need to be extracted from the RAR file - there is no Calibre help for this stage. I guess it would be nice if there were devices that could play the sound files directly from the archive but I have not heard of that being a feature on any players.

However one huge downside to using Calibre as a repository for audio books is that they tend to be MUCH larger than eBooks (by a factor of ~1000), so that the size of your physical Calibre library on disk balloons rapidly. One has to decide if this is more of a hindrance than the benefits of the cataloging provided by Calibre. I tend to store AudioBooks in their own area outside Calibre's library, but then add an AUDIO tag to the Calibre entry to note the fact I have a book in Audio format.

Last edited by itimpi; 05-02-2011 at 04:54 AM.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 04:41 PM   #23
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Perhaps a seperate library with only audio books would work.
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 01:36 PM   #24
jjansen
J
jjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: SONY PRS 505/300, iRex DR800SG, Nook
I do exactly the same thing as itimpi. I catalog my audio books in Calibre and add an audio tag but I leave them stored in MP3 format in a directory called "My AudioBoooks". My ebooks are in the directory "My eBooks". It works well for me.
jjansen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
book, media, movie, music, programming calibre