Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-06-2008, 06:14 PM   #1
calvarez
calvarez began at the beginning.

Device: None yet!
Question Good device for non-converted PDF eBooks?

So, I have a rather large collection of computer graphics and 3D game development eBooks on PDF format. These PDF files are rather large (10-20MB), letter page size and complex layouts with pictures and diagrams. I am afraid that converting it to a more portable-device-friendly format will detract too much from the reading (unless I convert to JPG, but meh, I would like to avoid that).

Anyways, I'm looking for some portable device (E-ink eReader, smartphone, PDA, web tablet, low cost UMPC) under $400 that will allow me to read them. Hopefully with a large screen and good resolution, although I won't die if I have to do some horizontal scrolling. The thing is: it has to be rock solid and fast at rendering large, complex PDF and CHM files, and it has to allow zooming/scrolling/panning. I don't care about other functionality, features and/or formats supported.

So far, I've looked at the matrix from the sticky in this forum, and after some asking around, it seems like most E-ink devices don't do what I want (don't handle PDF well), other than the iLiad, which is unfortunately out of budget. I've also considered getting an Asus EeePC, a Blackberry Curve, a T-Mobile Wing or Dash, and I entertained the idea of using an Archos 605 for this purpose.

Any ideas? Would a Nokia N800 do it? Maybe some other device I'm missing? Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi.
calvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 08:55 AM   #2
calvarez

BUMP! Please help me out guys!

Would the Cybook Gen3 do PDF the way I want it? What about the Nokia N800 web tablet?
Old 01-07-2008, 08:59 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The best eink based device for reading PDF is the iRex iLiad. It has a higher resolution and a larger screen and better software for reading PDF available for it.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 09:02 AM   #4
calvarez

I guess my major concern is rendering speed. If I throw a large PDF file (~15MB) with complex layouts and lots of pictures (I'm thinking game development books), will the iLiad take 1+ min to render each page?

What about the Nokia N800? It seems like something within my price range with a nice big screen and good resolution. Will it render PDF fast and robustly enough?
Old 01-07-2008, 09:04 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't know about the Nokia, but the ilIad will display them pretty good.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:11 AM   #6
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvarez View Post
Would the Cybook Gen3 do PDF the way I want it?
No - the only eInk based device that might be worth looking at would be the iLiad, but the larger screen has a direct inpact on the price tag.

If you require fast displays of complex PDF's, I think you're going to have to be looking at a PC variant of some sort - Maybe the Asus' Eee PC?
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 11:46 AM   #7
redbaron101
Zealot
redbaron101 began at the beginning.

Device: palm t3, iphone, bebook (hanlin v3 clone)
Hi Calverez, My needs are very similar to yours, but I'm still looking. One of the things putting me off the illiad (well two if you count the price), is the huge startup time - 45 seconds! (although page turning after that is meant to be okay)
redbaron101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 01:38 PM   #8
calvarez

yes, redbaron101, the iLiad seems ideal but it's way too expensive for me.

I really want to know if the Nokia N800 can render .pdf files fast and reliably (I know it's a hassle to turn pages on it).

Again, I really want to avoid reflowing or converting my PDF files to some other format, as some of the content (especially code snippets) get messed up and become illegible.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:33 AM   #9
calvarez

Bump! Any experiences with large, complex PDF files in the N800?
Old 01-10-2008, 01:53 AM   #10
ElaHuguet
iLiad freak
ElaHuguet doesn't litterElaHuguet doesn't litterElaHuguet doesn't litter

Device: iRex iLiad
How large is the screen of the N800? Is it large enough for your needs?
ElaHuguet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 02:57 AM   #11
Gogolo
Addict
Gogolo has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DR1000S, Nook ST (rooted), Kobo Aura one (ksm)
How much your books would have cost as paper versions?
How much would a bookcase cost?
How much would it cost to move all the paper books in a new flat?

Count this and you have a iLiad

Gogolo
Gogolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 03:58 PM   #12
Johannes
Enthusiast
Johannes began at the beginning.

Device: Apple iPad
Hi Calvarez -- have similar requirements like you (have lots of technical papers on A4 pdf format that I would like to have available when mobile). I don't think the Nokia N800 would be the solution for me: although its screen at a resolution of 800x480 in landscape (scrolling is no problem) even beats the Iliad in portret (scrolling is not an option with eInk), the screen with a diagonal of 4.1" is simply too small.

Saw a video on Youtube demonstrating the pdf capabilities of the N810 (same screen size and resolution): click here.

Perhaps wait for the next generation of 9.7" eInk readers?

Last edited by Johannes; 04-16-2008 at 04:01 PM.
Johannes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 04:08 PM   #13
Johannes
Enthusiast
Johannes began at the beginning.

Device: Apple iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogolo View Post
Count this and you have a iLiad
Did you factor in the cost of screen crashes?
Johannes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 08:38 AM   #14
calvarez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johannes View Post
Hi Calvarez -- have similar requirements like you (have lots of technical papers on A4 pdf format that I would like to have available when mobile). I don't think the Nokia N800 would be the solution for me: although its screen at a resolution of 800x480 in landscape (scrolling is no problem) even beats the Iliad in portret (scrolling is not an option with eInk), the screen with a diagonal of 4.1" is simply too small.

Saw a video on Youtube demonstrating the pdf capabilities of the N810 (same screen size and resolution): click here.

Perhaps wait for the next generation of 9.7" eInk readers?
Thanks Johannes. I decided to go for an iPhone as soon as my T-mobile contract expires. I tested its built-in PDF reader and it's quite good. I decided that I just wanted something small enough to carry, and if this device also is a cellphone, the better.

I took a look at the N810, and it seems like a very cool device indeed.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:43 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

An IPhone as a PDF reader is a really bad idea. an iPhone as a phone is a really bad idea. Basically, you'll get a device you won't be happy with. You'll want to read more then just PDF and the iPhone is really bad at that. So please save your money and get something decent. An iPhone is not that.