Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 04-29-2011, 08:30 AM   #121
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
For the record, I don't think having controversial opinions or passionate detractors is a handicap. My suggestion would be to embrace the notoriety and encourage it. A considerable portion of the tech blogosphere is passionate about internet openness. Being a respectful and responsive/engaging dissenting voice could drive attention (even if you do only post 3 times a month -- not all successful blogs are daily regurg) and traffic to you, and drive interest in your books. It would mean becoming a known commenter elsewhere, and becoming grateful, rather than dismissive of your detractors (though I do understand the context of this thread is different than your own venues), which would take time, and it wouldn't necessarily work. It just seems like a possible way forward to me.

You may not get any love from the average blog commenter, but lots of people like reading things that are different from what they read everyday, and commenters don't speak for everyone. All you really need is for bloggers you respond to to start responding to you. I don't know that I could do it, but I've seen others manage.

I'm about to start investing much larger amounts of time in my own venture than I have to this point, and I'm just starting out. I have no doubt my wide-eyed optimism and naivety could evoke chuckles from battle-torn veterans, but at the end of the day, I'm going to do this because I can't not do it. If you've been at it for 5 years, perhaps you're the same way.

Last edited by Marseille; 04-29-2011 at 12:24 PM. Reason: a little proofing I should have done before
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 10:41 AM   #122
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Mr Ploppy, post your Amazon password and see what happens today. No different.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2011, 11:34 AM   #123
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Marseilles View Post
I'm about to start investing much larger amounts of time in my own venture than I have to this point, and I'm just starting out. I have no doubt my wide-eyed optimism and naivety could evoke chuckles from battle-torn veterans, but at the end of the day, I'm going to do this because I can't not do it. If you've been at it for 5 years, perhaps you're the same way.
Better luck to you.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 01:05 PM   #124
altworld
Evangelist
altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android G1
Jumped through this thread and I get a general feeling of tiredness from the Author, and as a writer I can agree.

I do feel all the time we spend promoting, talking about, joining in, smiling, jumping up and down, and all other activities related to getting the word out about our stories can, at times be better spent.

I am a writer, therefore I should be writing more than worrying about how to get Likes on my Facebook page, at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Nick-...27302163985721 right?

I don't have anything to tell you that will make you feel better, I would say you have people reading your work and that in itself is gratifying. Someone out there like what you've written enough to buy it and read it.

Write new stories, write different stories, explore what you want to explore in your writing, tell tall tales, tell small tales, we are story tellers and that is what we want to do. In the past year I've written gritty fantasy, amazing fairy tales and a humorous short about what happens when a writers characters really come alive. Enjoy what you do and challenge yourself.

Keep going and doing what you want to do, by doing that you are already ahead in the race
Arigato,
Nick Davis
altworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 01:14 PM   #125
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Nick, all jobs have a grunt work aspect. Writing as a job is no exception. I'm a teacher and love my job. I don't love playground duty though, for instance. Nonetheless, it's part of the job so I do it when my turn comes up. If writing is just a fun hobby for so done, then they can totally pick and choose to only do the parts they like. But if they are aiming for a career, them IMHO that means accepting that the PR and promo aspects ofmit, tedious though the may be, are a necessary part of the equation.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2011, 01:16 PM   #126
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
Mr Ploppy, post your Amazon password and see what happens today. No different.
No different to what?
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 01:23 PM   #127
altworld
Evangelist
altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android G1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
Nick, all jobs have a grunt work aspect. Writing as a job is no exception. I'm a teacher and love my job. I don't love playground duty though, for instance. Nonetheless, it's part of the job so I do it when my turn comes up. If writing is just a fun hobby for so done, then they can totally pick and choose to only do the parts they like. But if they are aiming for a career, them IMHO that means accepting that the PR and promo aspects ofmit, tedious though the may be, are a necessary part of the equation.
I think its okay to admit that sometimes it is tiring riding the promo pony, I feel the drag of it sometimes especially now its spring, a time when book sales slow down. I always look to the long term in this career I'm trying to build for myself.

My suggestion is more of a get yourself out of the rut type thing, I found after I wrote The Wonder Tales I was energized again. I feel our friend here would be in the same place, write something short, fun, light and a little fluffy, get back to enjoying your craft a little bit and experiment for a couple of weeks.
Arigato,
Nick Davis
altworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 01:32 PM   #128
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Ploppy, you said "What would stop people from sharing their ebook password with their 50 billion Faceache friends? Surely to make it secure you would need to incorporate some form of DNA testing as well as fingerprint/password. " along with some more reductio ad adsurdum.

Biometric authentication is ideally device dependent. My prints are associated with my laptop. They have zero value to 50 billion Facebook users. My laptop is safe from them, lol, as would be my e-reader that happened to use biometric authentication.

Perhaps you missed the point that biometrics is a convenience technique and an alternative, not a replacement, for passwords? When authentication is more convenient it becomes less onerous to apply DRM, for example whenever you power up your e-reader. We can continue to argue the merit of DRM itself. I don't like it but I'd rather have a biometric entry into my DRM material than not have one.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 02:14 PM   #129
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyle Jordan View Post
Denial of Service and The Onuissance Cells are on Smashwords, free for doanload. (Correction: Something happened to Onuissance, I'll have to restore it.)
I have been meeting you here on Mobileread for a long time (mostly in threads about piracy, but I avoid those recently, because I have already seen most of the arguments). Yet, I didn't get to checking up your books. Too many other books to read, too many other distractions.
I have a soft spot for a free e-books, especially for free e-books by indie writers.
I have just downloaded Denial and I will start reading as soon as I finish the book I am reading at the moment. If I like the book I will post a review and I will try to spread the word. I will check The Onuissance to see if I can download it later.
Forgive me, please one stupid question. What does "Onuissance" mean? You might have noticed that I am not native English speaker (writer ;-) )

Before reading your books I can not say much about why your book business isn't going as well as you might wish.
One thing to consider is huge, staggeringly huge, choice people have for reading nowadays. I have just recently came across a number - one million e-books self-published in the USA alone, just the last year. Plus you are competing with netflix, youtube videos, Angry birds or even threads on Mobileread. I personally read less books than I used to (long time ago) because I spend more time online in discussions such as this one.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 02:30 PM   #130
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Forgive me, please one stupid question. What does "Onuissance" mean? You might have noticed that I am not native English speaker (writer ;-) )
I don't know either, but:

http://forums.syfy.com/index.php?showuser=3026517&f=60
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 02:53 PM   #131
Tome Keeper
Addict
Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Keyboard, Surface Tablet, Android Smartphone, Laptop, Netbook
Quote:
Could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that the author has made the word up. It's not in any of the English (UK) dictionaries I have.
Tome Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 03:17 PM   #132
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
Perhaps you missed the point that biometrics is a convenience technique and an alternative, not a replacement, for passwords? When authentication is more convenient it becomes less onerous to apply DRM, for example whenever you power up your e-reader. We can continue to argue the merit of DRM itself. I don't like it but I'd rather have a biometric entry into my DRM material than not have one.
No, it was being offered as a replacement, as user-based rather than device-based DRM. Steve was suggesting a fingerprint check instead of the current PID-based encryption for DRM'd ebooks.

Your laptop is fingerprint-locked for your benefit; ebooks are DRM'd for the seller's benefit. You have the choice of handing your password to anyone you feel comfortable accessing your laptop. They don't want to switch to a password-opens-this-book method; that allows more sharing than they want to allow.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 04:01 PM   #133
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by intheendofdays View Post
Could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that the author has made the word up. It's not in any of the English (UK) dictionaries I have.
Yes, I agree that it is a madeup word. Perhaps it is pronounced "one nusiance"?
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 04:07 PM   #134
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
It's not a stupid question, as this is a word I coined myself years ago: It's a combination of the terms "Renaissance" and "Onus" (which means responsibility); put together, Onuissance (pronounced "Own-e-sonse") means "The Age of Responsibility." It is the term I gave to the future period in Human history when we devote ourselves to acting responsibly, for ourselves and for our planet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
Yes, I agree that it is a madeup word. Perhaps it is pronounced "one nusiance"?
This guy enjoys pushing my buttons...

Last edited by Steven Lyle Jordan; 04-29-2011 at 04:11 PM.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 04:12 PM   #135
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyle Jordan View Post
It's not a stupid question, as this is a word I coined myself years ago: It's a combination of the terms "Renaissance" and "Onus" (which means responsibility); put together, Onuissance means "The Age of Responsibility." It is the term I gave to the future period in Human history when we devote ourselves to acting responsibly, for ourselves and for our planet.
I notice you advertise one of your books as being a bit like Star Trek. Do they have any form of replicator type device, or did the corporations crush it at patent stage?
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebooks, marketing an ebook, selling