Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 07-13-2009, 12:50 PM   #1
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Hanzi / Kanji Font

Can anybody recommend me a Hanzi / Kanji font, whether free or commercial, that has a larger set of characters than Arial Unicode MS and is thick enough to display well on an ePaper device?

Arial Unicode MS is actually ideal, in terms of how it displays on my device, but its character set does not contain several characters that I need to be able to display.

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 02:41 PM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Try Code2000, it seems to have a large character set, but it's probably not very pretty.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 03:03 PM   #3
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Try Code2000, it seems to have a large character set, but it's probably not very pretty.
Thanks, Jellby! I will try it when I get home.

Can anyone recommend a similarly broad coverage Hei (Sans Serif) font?

- Ahi

Ps.: Actually... what is this Code2000 one? It doesn't quite seem to be either Song (Serif) or Hei (Sans Serif). Is it Kai?

Last edited by ahi; 07-13-2009 at 03:06 PM. Reason: added PS
Old 07-13-2009, 03:35 PM   #4
ahi
Wizard

I'm guessing I need something that includes characters in Unicode Extension B, as per the http://www.urwpp.de/english/biblioth...anyi_cont.html webpage. Though I'm guessing their refusal to list a price means that it is not priced for individuals, but corporations.

- Ahi
Old 07-13-2009, 06:32 PM   #5
ahi
Wizard

Actually Code2000 proved comparable to Arial Unicode MS.

I've found a pair of fonts... not precisely sure yet how I'd use them just by themselves... that between them cover far more ground, being about twice the size (the two together) as Arial Unicode MS:

hannomH.zip
http://sourceforge.net/projects/vietunicode/files/

- Ahi
Old 07-14-2009, 05:01 AM   #6
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi View Post
Ps.: Actually... what is this Code2000 one? It doesn't quite seem to be either Song (Serif) or Hei (Sans Serif). Is it Kai?
I think it's just a kind of "patchwork" font, with glyphs from different sources aiming at having as many characters supported as possible, with quality and consistency being secondary.

Quote:
Actually Code2000 proved comparable to Arial Unicode MS.
You mean in glyph coverage? Oh, I'm sorry... At some point it was better for some scripts, at least.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 08:53 AM   #7
ahi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
You mean in glyph coverage? Oh, I'm sorry... At some point it was better for some scripts, at least.
Sorry, Jellby, I should have been more specific. While Code2000 might have broader coverage in general, for the very specific purpose I need the font for, it appears to have the same characters missing as Arial Unicode MS.

Basically I have characters required from Unicode Extension B.

It seems to me I'll be able to figure it out and get something working in XeTeX... but it sure hasn't been straightforward thus far. And worse yet, the version of XeTeX I have doesn't even seem to support the necessary features to use Hanzi characters from Unicode Extension B without hacks of sorts. (Which is strange, seeing as how international language support seems to be XeTeX's raison d'être.)

- Ahi