Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 01-02-2014, 11:19 PM   #1
davisk53
davisk53 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HDX
Calibre does not see my new Kindle Fire HDX

I am running Windows Vista SP2 with Media player 11. I just down loaded the latest version of Calibre. When I plug in my HDX it never registers in Calibre. Windows Exp. sees the device but will not let me see any folders in the device. I've tried to follow the troubleshooting recomended by Calibre including sending in a debug file, but I've not received a reply. Has anyone had this problem and have a fix. Thank you in advance for your consideration and help.
davisk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 02:58 PM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
If you can't see folders with Explorer, calibre is not going to see anything either. It's not a calibre problem in all likelihood.

Have you looked at this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=201346800

In particular you might try a different USB port. It needs to be 'powered' (not just an extension from keyboard/monitor).

Is there a reason you can't use Mayday?
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:20 PM   #3
davisk53
davisk53 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HDX
tomsem, thanks for the info I just needed to reboot the Kindle. Now if I can just figure out where in the HDX the books and stored. I can send books to the Kindle with Calibre and it works, I can read them, but when I go to Windows Exp I can' find them in any folder. I'll have to go to the web and see how they are stored on the HDX. Thank again for your help.
Regards
davisk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:44 AM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by davisk53 View Post
tomsem, thanks for the info I just needed to reboot the Kindle. Now if I can just figure out where in the HDX the books and stored. I can send books to the Kindle with Calibre and it works, I can read them, but when I go to Windows Exp I can' find them in any folder. I'll have to go to the web and see how they are stored on the HDX. Thank again for your help.
Regards
Amazon books are in /Android/data/com.amazon.kindle/files/Books.
Personal documents (send to kindle etc.) are in /Documents.
I have been putting stuff in /kindle (from web download) and those will also be listed as Documents. Putting them in Documents also works but I don't like to mix them with things in with Kindle personal documents cloud storage.
I don't know where calibre puts things, but most likely it is one of the above.

Last edited by tomsem; 01-05-2014 at 02:06 AM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 06:42 PM   #5
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I believe my Calibre books go into the Documents folder (as the default destination)?
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:45 AM   #6
Loama
Loama began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD7
I have used Calibre often with my Kindle itouch and Kindle Fire. I just purchased the Kindle Fire HD 7 and Calibre does not recognize this device. There are no "green check marks" when I use the USB to add other books. Older ones were installed by Amazon when the new Kindle was purchased. I called Amazon and couldn't get an answer. I have Windows 8.1 and Calibre still works with my itouch. I can try to reboot my new Kindle or try a different USB port tomorrow. I'll report tomorrow. Any other help would be greatly appreciated. Loama
Loama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:30 PM   #7
Loama

I tried a different USB port and that did not do the trick. Then I used the "Wizard" and set up sending the book via email to kindle email. That didn't work either. I will try calling Amazon, again, later. Still open to any suggestions.
Old 01-16-2014, 02:56 PM   #8
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loama View Post
I tried a different USB port and that did not do the trick. Then I used the "Wizard" and set up sending the book via email to kindle email. That didn't work either. I will try calling Amazon, again, later. Still open to any suggestions.
If you have WiFi you can use Calibre Companion to transfer books to your tablet via wireless connection. It fast and easy to use and well worth the $2.99. It's what I use I never connect any of my tablets to my PC.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 05:11 PM   #9
Loama

Do you have a Kindle Fire HD 7? My old Kindle and my itouch work on Calibre. My new Kindle Fire does not. I am ready to get the Calibre Companion. Some reviews were not happy. I don't know which Fire they have.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:13 PM   #10
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loama View Post
Do you have a Kindle Fire HD 7? My old Kindle and my itouch work on Calibre. My new Kindle Fire does not. I am ready to get the Calibre Companion. Some reviews were not happy. I don't know which Fire they have.
Yes I do and ignore the reviews it will work for what you need it do. I use Calibre Companion on both my tablets. You can set in the app settings to send the mobi and AZW3 books to the books folder.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 05:19 PM   #11
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
@Loama, is the Kindle seen by the computer at all (like in Explorer)?

Is your Calibre version up to date?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:48 AM   #12
Loama

Yes. I get my email on my Kindle too.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:02 AM   #13
Loama

Blossom I bought Calibre Companion and tried many ways to connect to my new Kindle Fire HD7, both wireless and Content Server. Do you connect via wireless? The pop ups say I must enter the "port" and "ip". I am not successful. Any suggestions on what I can try?
Old 01-17-2014, 12:19 PM   #14
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Once the wireless device connection is started in Calibre (Connect/share--->Start wireless device connection--->Ok) select connect as wireless device in Calibre Companion and it should connect no problem.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 02:40 PM   #15
Loama

I wish it was that easy! I tried that dozens of times and it doesn't work. The Kindle says connection failed, check the ip address. Did that many times too. Frustrated.