Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-24-2008, 05:04 PM   #166
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
It's a windows only thing, will be fixed in the next release.
Thanks, I was sure my OLD (2 1/2 year) computer was at fault or else the MS update crippled it. Sometimes I think civilization is ok - it just has gone on too long.
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 11:18 AM   #167
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Back to version 4.2.
With version 4.4 The New York Times loaded OK, started OK but when I used the + key to enlarge the font the Reader re-booted itself. This happened twice.
With the Jerusalem Post it happened once (re-booted) and then was OK.
No problem with Newsweek.
Old 03-27-2008, 01:54 PM   #168
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Yeah the reader rebooting thing is unfortunate. As far as I can tell, it happens because SONY's reader software simply can't handle the new news LRF's. Not really sure what I can do about that, other than hope SONY fixes it in the next firmware upgrade.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 02:44 PM   #169
The Old Man
Fanatic

Quote:
Yeah the reader rebooting thing is unfortunate. As far as I can tell, it happens because SONY's reader software simply can't handle the new news LRF's. Not really sure what I can do about that, other than hope SONY fixes it in the next firmware upgrade.
0.4.42 seems to work without that problem. I have not tried all the news sources.
Old 03-27-2008, 02:55 PM   #170
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah but 0.4.42 used the old framework, which was a lot less powerful, no navigation bar, no support for pictures in a lot of the feeds, etc. The new framework has all those features, but it seems to push the limits on the SONY software for some feeds.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:40 PM   #171
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
So why not just set the base font to what you want and just keep it at small?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 04:40 PM   #172
The Old Man
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So why not just set the base font to what you want and just keep it at small?
Well, you probably know something I don't.

I have changed the font size (larger) under Convert E-Books/Set conversion defaults, but it seems to make no difference in the News feeds. These tired old eyes have to make the font larger. Is there some other way to enlarge the font in the Feeds (Fetch News)?
Old 03-27-2008, 04:58 PM   #173
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

The conversion defaults dont affect news downloads, if you want to set the base font size larger you have to run the news downloads from the command line, or create a custom recipe based on the built-in ones that bumps up the font-size
Old 03-27-2008, 05:09 PM   #174
The Old Man
Fanatic

Quote:
The conversion defaults dont affect news downloads, if you want to set the base font size larger you have to run the news downloads from the command line, or create a custom recipe based on the built-in ones that bumps up the font-size
Thanks, Kovid. I was afraid the answer would be something like that.

I am too dumb, too lazy or both to do that.
Any chance you could put a change-font-size for News feeds in the GUI as you have done for Covert E-books?
Old 03-27-2008, 05:19 PM   #175
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have never used Libprs500 to convert anything via the GUI. Just more hassle then the command line.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 06:28 PM   #176
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Man View Post
Thanks, Kovid. I was afraid the answer would be something like that.

I am too dumb, too lazy or both to do that.
Any chance you could put a change-font-size for News feeds in the GUI as you have done for Covert E-books?
That's kinda hard to do because different feeds need different base font sizes. It would take a while to implement. What I have done in the meantime is bumped up the default font size for the nytimes by 4pts (equivalent to the L size)
Old 03-27-2008, 06:39 PM   #177
The Old Man
Fanatic

Quote:
That's kinda hard to do because different feeds need different base font sizes. It would take a while to implement. What I have done in the meantime is bumped up the default font size for the nytimes by 4pts (equivalent to the L size)
Thank you. I'll give it a try. I use M size for almost everything, including books. The S is just too small.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:24 AM   #178
The Old Man
Fanatic

Quote:
Version 4.5 under Windows XP Pro:
The New York Times will not show with the View option. It goes to 54% and then just stops.
When loading it into the the 505 the Reader reboots when selecting the NYT to read, However the second time I tried it (after the first re-boot) it worked.

Last edited by The Old Man; 03-28-2008 at 08:27 AM.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:58 PM   #179
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Yeah the reader requires one reboot to handle the file. Nothing I can do about that, since there's nothing actually wrong with the file. It works fine for me in the libprs500 viewer though
Old 03-29-2008, 09:51 AM   #180
The Old Man
Fanatic

Quote:
Yeah the reader requires one reboot to handle the file. Nothing I can do about that, since there's nothing actually wrong with the file. It works fine for me in the libprs500 viewer though
Kovid,
Thank you for all your efforts!
Using version 4.46 I find the fonts very satisfactory in Fetch news. Some probably think them a bit large, but overall I am very pleased.

This morning I “fetched” The New York Times, The Jerusalem Post, Newsweek, NASA, The Atlantic, The Economist, Google Reader and NYR Book Review. Then I switched back and forth between them. Occasionally the Reader went into a reboot (as you say, unavoidable) and then continued normally.

Is this reboot a function of Sony’s memory? I suspect that it is as, for example, the NASA feed forced a reboot the first time I ran it but not the second. Switching to several of the other feeds a reboot was necessary at The Economist. Then returning to NASA there was no reboot. In other words it appears that the reboot occurs when the 505 says “full up.” – Just a guess. Would using a memory card help this? I currently have no memory card installed and libprs500 shows about 120 mb free.

Your program has made my 505 worth twice as much as I paid for it so I have made another small donation. I hope others are doing the same.

I almost bought the Amazon Kindle because of the magazine and newspaper feeds but considering they are extra cost on the Kindle and free with the Sony and libprs500 and getting several feeds that Amazon doesn’t offer is a big plus. Thanks, again.

Tags
libprs500, prs-505