Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 05-02-2011, 12:41 AM   #1
donvan
donvan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.donvan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.donvan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle 3
Cannot open book or news in Kindle3

I have transfered items in MOBI format to my Kindle and everything seems to work. When i attempt to open item the following error is shown.

urlopen error [Errno 10013] An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions>

Thanks for help (in advance)

donvan
donvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:59 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by donvan View Post
I have transfered items in MOBI format to my Kindle and everything seems to work. When i attempt to open item the following error is shown.

urlopen error [Errno 10013] An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions>
Are you getting this error for every book on your Kindle or only for some books or only for some news items?
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 01:35 PM   #3
donvan
donvan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.donvan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.donvan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Are you getting this error for every book on your Kindle or only for some books or only for some news items?

thanks Walt

I get the message only on the items I have transfered from the calibre program!

Don
Old 05-03-2011, 04:00 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I'm not sure I understand. Are you getting this error when you open the book itself or when you try to click a link in the book?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:57 PM   #5
donvan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I'm not sure I understand. Are you getting this error when you open the book itself or when you try to click a link in the book?
I have tried 2 or 3 books, and a couple of magazines from the Calibre news list. I converted them to MOBI format, then transfered them to the Kindle3.
They appear on the home page but when I attempt to open them with the enter key the error message it says FAILED and shows the error message.

Thanks, Don
Old 05-04-2011, 11:46 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And how are you sending the books to the kindle, by clicking the send to device button in calibre?
Old 05-04-2011, 06:30 PM   #7
donvan

Quote:
And how are you sending the books to the kindle, by clicking the send to device button in calibre?
I used NASA as example.

Yes, I download the item into Calibre, select it, make sure it is MOBI format, connect the kindle to usb, then click the send to device button. After the job indicator stops it show in the kindle home page. In the Kindle I select it and press the enter key and get "Failed feed:Image of the day" plus the Error 10013 message. I press page advance the I get "Failed feed: Moon and mars Exploration" and so on through all the sections ot the site.

I also get the same results when I send the item to the Online Kindle reader.

Thanks,
Don
Old 05-04-2011, 07:01 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

That just means the NASA recipe is probably broken. Try the economist instead, I know that one works.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:39 PM   #9
donvan

Quote:
That just means the NASA recipe is probably broken. Try the economist instead, I know that one works.
Yes the Economist did work, also the Calibre quick start guide was sucessful.
The ones I had tried before were:
Popular Science
The Oregonian
NASA
2 books (can't recall names)
National revue online

All those failed with the same error.
however I just retried the national revue online and it did work this time.

It looks like my process has been correct but the recipes are broken!

Thanks for the help.

Don
Old 05-04-2011, 10:19 PM   #10
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by donvan View Post
It looks like my process has been correct but the recipes are broken!
I'm glad you figured it out.

It would have been easier to help you if your initial title was accurate. As it turns out "Cannot open book or news in Kindle3" wasn't accurate since only recipes are affected.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 01:27 AM   #11
donvan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
I'm glad you figured it out.

It would have been easier to help you if your initial title was accurate. As it turns out "Cannot open book or news in Kindle3" wasn't accurate since only recipes are affected.
The help I received from Kovid was systematic and very ueful to solve the problem. My description may have seemed to be not accurate from your perspective but it did describe the the results I was experiencing. I knew nothing of recipes while I was attempting to open the news sites and books.
Your help system is much better than others i have experienced, and I thank you for a job well done.

Don