Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-11-2014, 12:41 PM   #1
lyssdod
Member Retired
lyssdod has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitylyssdod has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitylyssdod has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitylyssdod has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitylyssdod has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitylyssdod has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitylyssdod has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitylyssdod has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitylyssdod has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitylyssdod has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitylyssdod has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: none
Sound on Kindles

Hi all,

I want to get sound working on my K4NT (possibly PW) via USB audio. So I ordered these (http://www.dx.com/p/virtual-5-1-surr...und-card-22475 and http://www.dx.com/p/cy-u2-053-ri-ang...ck-10cm-222708) to connect to the Kindle's USB. Hardware hack would be ideal, but I could not find internal USB for this (though I did not opened my device, just inspected motherboard's pics).

So, this would ultimately require OTG kernel module as well as USB Audio modules, ALSA and so on. Guys from this thread (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=206188) got some results in module compiling, so I'm asking their suggestions about proper toolchain.

Any comments are welcomed
lyssdod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 01:23 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
This seems like rather a pointless exercise, if you'll forgive me for saying so. If you want a Kindle with sound, why not simply get one? Eg a Kindle Touch?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 01:30 PM   #3
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
so what is a K4 PW (planned) model?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 03:47 PM   #4
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
I agree with HarryT. Especially since building and running USB OTG seems so big a hassle that almost nobody bothers, and then you need a solution for powering all this, which needs an external power source, too. So I would also suggest to either buy a Kindle with audio, or settle for a small SoC computer like the RasPi which already have audio and/or USB host mode.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 04:33 PM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyssdod View Post
- - - -
Hardware hack would be ideal, but I could not find internal USB for this (though I did not opened my device, just inspected motherboard's pics).
- - - -
It is hardwired to the 3G card connector pin-out.
See: http://pinoutsguide.com/Slots/mini_pcie_pinout.shtml
So you should find it on pins 34, 36, 38, 40
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote