Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-31-2006, 04:36 AM   #1
design256
Connoisseur
design256 doesn't litterdesign256 doesn't litter

Device: Irex Iliad
Quick way to read any file on the Iliad

Dear All,

I received my Iliad yesterday and am already hooked. I guess you already have tried this trick - but just in case you haven't - if you create an HTML file with a local link in it and copy it to your Iliad, then the browser will happily display that file for you from the local tree.

eg:

<a href="/var/log/messages">messages</a>

<a href="/etc/passwd">password</a>

<a href="/proc/stat">stat</a>

Chris.
design256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 04:29 AM   #2
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Neat trick! I don't think it was mentioned here before.
doctorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2006, 05:51 AM   #3
ali
Addict
ali doesn't litterali doesn't litter

Device: Iliad, dude!
Quote:
Originally Posted by design256
I received my Iliad yesterday and am already hooked. I guess you already have tried this trick - but just in case you haven't - if you create an HTML file with a local link in it and copy it to your Iliad, then the browser will happily display that file for you from the local tree.
BE CAREFUL when doing these things. b_k's and my Iliad were bricked (to the point of having to return it to iRex) by similar tricks.

In principle, the Iliad's software will move away a file when you open it, that is, opening a configuration file will make it dissappear. We made the browser open some file directly, with the result that the Iliad can't boot anymore. Apparently it doesn't do it when you follow links, but that may change. (Or design just opened stuff that's not needed till next reboot so far...)
ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 05:59 AM   #4
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
This way we could browse internet before firmware 2.5!
As ali said, nothing new & dangerous.
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/ILiadwners Have a look at "firsts".
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 07:18 AM   #5
design256
Connoisseur
design256 doesn't litterdesign256 doesn't litter

Device: Irex Iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ali
BE CAREFUL when doing these things. b_k's and my Iliad were bricked (to the point of having to return it to iRex) by similar tricks.

In principle, the Iliad's software will move away a file when you open it, that is, opening a configuration file will make it dissappear. We made the browser open some file directly, with the result that the Iliad can't boot anymore. Apparently it doesn't do it when you follow links, but that may change. (Or design just opened stuff that's not needed till next reboot so far...)
Doing an update like this from a clicked link would require a major change to Minimo - something I very much doubt they'll do - and something that is easily checkable by browsing round a CF card.

And yes, all the suggestions here should carry a brick icon - if you're reading this forum, you should be aware of that. I've bricked countless machines in the past - from soldering homebrew hardware onto Atari STs to rendering one of the few Psion Netbook Pro Linux prototypes unusable. I already have my oscilloscope and logic probe ready to have a poke around the Iliad once I get a few minutes free from work :-)
design256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2006, 09:03 AM   #6
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorow
Neat trick! I don't think it was mentioned here before.
It was the initial trick trible used to tell us about the internals when he received his machine. As now it is said, it could be more dangereous to use now if in some release of the software iRex decides to "manifest" every browsed document.
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 02:45 PM   #7
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

After the upgraded filesystem has been downloaded via iDS, it is flashed to the iLiad like this:

Code:
gunzip -t /var/update.image.gz && zcat /var/update.image.gz | dd of=/dev/tffsa1 bs=1k
You can the upgrade procedure in /usr/bin/do_updates.sh.

So basically, with some kind of a prepared http link as described here, you might flash your iLiad with any file, right?
Old 09-01-2006, 03:12 PM   #8
ali
Addict
ali doesn't litterali doesn't litter

Device: Iliad, dude!
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorow
So basically, with some kind of a prepared http link as described here, you might flash your iLiad with any file, right?
Nope. You have to write to /var, which isn't possible so far. Minimo will not let you save files. It needs more - like a JavaScript bug or something.
ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 03:42 PM   #9
doctorow
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali
Nope. You have to write to /var, which isn't possible so far. Minimo will not let you save files. It needs more - like a JavaScript bug or something.
True. But we do have the image file. So instead of pointing it to /var/update.image.gz we could point it to somewhere else where we have write access prior to running gunzip & zcat.
Old 09-01-2006, 03:43 PM   #10
DHer
Addict
DHer doesn't litterDHer doesn't litter

Device: iliad
unfortunately the last month were quite slow on exploitable gecko bugs which do more then crash the browser.

Maybe waiting for the SDK isn't so bad, at all.

@design256:
in the hardware section in a thread "Travel Hub" is a wiring diagram - i believe you already saw it.
With your experience and your equipment - could you please have a go at the 4 unused pins, if there's something interesting? If they have a purpose i would put my money on a serial connector or jtag.
DHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 06:06 PM   #11
b_k
Übernerd
b_k is on a distinguished road

Device: iRex iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHer
@design256:
in the hardware section in a thread "Travel Hub" is a wiring diagram - i believe you already saw it.
With your experience and your equipment - could you please have a go at the 4 unused pins, if there's something interesting? If they have a purpose i would put my money on a serial connector or jtag.
actually there are 6 contacts unused in the connector, according to snoopy. I think the thing about 4 pins was my mis-reading of snoopy's wiring scheme.
BTW: i got a cheap Casio PPC USB cable, looks like the plugs are the same. (but i have to say I have no original plug to compare with. read my sig ;-) )
b_k is offline   Reply With Quote