Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-19-2009, 10:06 PM   #1
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Kindle 2 TTS had my back!

As some of you know I work in commercials. This past Sunday I was shooting a promo for a series. One of the characters had a line with the word "tousled" in it. The client and the writer had the character pronouce the word as "toss-eled". I told them that was not how the word was pronounced. Several other people agreed with the client and others said it should be pronounced "tozz-eled". I kept saying that neither of the pronunciations was how I'd ever heard it pronounced ("toww-zled" with an oww as in ouchy). They didn't agree with me until I pulled out my Kindle 2.

I had no internet connection on either the K2 or my laptop so I searched the books I had on my K2 for the word "tousled" and I found it in my copy of "The Stand". I turned of the TTS for that page (luckily it was near the top of the page) and the K2 pronounced it the same was I did (yay!). I played it for the client and they agreed to record a "wild line" where the character just said the dialog (no camera), pronouncing the word the way I and my K2 did. They'll be able to replace that one word without us having to shoot the scene again.

Kindle 2 to the rescue.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:04 PM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
You violated TOS for playing the Kindle aloud for an audience
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2009, 11:05 PM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Watch me run and hide!
Old 05-20-2009, 05:51 AM   #4
Slow_hand
Groupie
Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
Get it to read Obama.
Slow_hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 06:23 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
tousled tou-zuhld

So what was the series being promoted?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2009, 08:09 AM   #6
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Watch me run and hide!
I have this mental picture of Jeff Bezos in an Elmer Fudd hunting outfit showing up on your sound stage saying: "Be vewy, vewy quiet -- I'm hunting Daffy!"

poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 08:48 AM   #7
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
@poohbear ... isn't the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy "officially" abbreviated with HHGGß I'm referring to your signature, by the way
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 09:12 AM   #8
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mores View Post
@poohbear ... isn't the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy "officially" abbreviated with HHGGß I'm referring to your signature, by the way
I've seen it abbreviated a couple of ways in different forums - this has always been my own shorthand for it.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 09:16 AM   #9
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

2 posts for the price of 1!

Last edited by daffy4u; 05-20-2009 at 11:59 AM.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:17 AM   #10
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow_hand View Post
Get it to read Obama.
Yeah, I know about that but "Obama" is an uncommon proper noun (in English anyway) not a semi-common word which has been in the dictionary for a very long time (and K2 was correct in this case).
Old 05-20-2009, 11:54 AM   #11
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
I use TTS when I go from reading to driving so I don't have to put my book down.

Anyway, the K2 is pretty good, but I have seen it make some interesting pronunciation choices.

It likes to find abbreviations where none exist. In one of my novels, the writer ended many sentences with the word 'alas' so that the text looked like this: "alas." . Every time the Kindle read this it said "Alaska". I can't recall the other examples, but in general it sometimes has problems with the last word in a sentence.

It can also make the wrong choice on words like "read" (red, or reed?) . I have heard a few other stumbles, but it does an acceptable job.

I'd much rather read than listen and I'm not an audiobook fan. However, TTS gives me the ability to switch modes when reading doesn't work, and to switch back when it does.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 12:33 PM   #12
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
good for you and Kindle!!!! it really grates my nerves when supposedly educated professional people do that. this morning the broadcaster pronounced vehemently (lets see if I can do this) va-HEEE-imently. might as well draw your nails across a chalkboard!
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 12:37 PM   #13
suliabryon
suliabryon began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
OMG. That is a fabulous story! I'm a writer, and back in college I majored in (of course) English lit. I would not have been able to let that go, either. And I'm amazed that so many of them did not know how to pronounce that word!

Kindle 2 - not just for reading, but also for winning word arguments.
suliabryon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 02:26 PM   #14
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
I've always pronounced it tussled as in the past tense of tussle. That's what a third grade education gets you.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 03:11 PM   #15
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
your hair became tousled when you tussled with your brother.
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote