Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 02-07-2009, 01:03 AM   #1
jbharman45
jbharman45 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 505, 700, 900, Kindle 2/3, Nook, NookColor
eBook Reader Pro - LIT format reader

I thought that I would give a heads-up to those looking for a great alternative reader for the .Lit format. I do use MS Reader and the wonderful Calibre, but both had either formatting or size issues with my recently purchased Lenovo S10 netbook. I did some searching for potential .LIT readers in the forums here and among those I tested was Ebook Reader Pro, from Fantastic Software.

What I really like about the software is the total control it gives me over formatting and font size on the screen, and it's incredibly small footprint. I installed it on the Lenovo, which is currently running the beta of Windows 7 and it works like a dream! I am very satisfied, as I can use the entire 1024 x 600 screen to read.

Well, if it works so well there, why not try it on my HP Tablet PC, which is running 64-bit Windows 7? Unhappily, this was not so positive an experience. It was therefore that I gathered some of the logs from the failure, forwarded them to the author, who actually quickly responded back, and within about 20 minutes, we were able to figure out what the issue was, a work-around, and I now have a great additional reader for 64-bit Windows OS that works correctly when the screen is rotated. This was even more important to me, as where I have the space and memory to use Calibre on this machine, it sadly does not support 64-bit.

My understanding is that a newer version of Ebook Reader Pro, with changes to resolve the issues we encountered, is forthcoming.

I would like to personally thank Mr. Richard Smith of Fantastic Software for being so responsive and customer oriented. What a refreshing departure from the norm. I highly recommend that you give this software a look if you are in need of an alternate .Lit reader platform. This software supports Windows, Linux and Mac platforms.
jbharman45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 11:42 AM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbharman45 View Post
My understanding is that a newer version of Ebook Reader Pro, with changes to resolve the issues we encountered, is forthcoming.
Cool. Am I to understand that this supports encrypted LIT files, or only non-encrypted?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2009, 09:59 AM   #3
d2spillers
d2spillers began at the beginning.

Device: Many
I have a problem with the eReader Pro...My changes are never saved. I continually have to reset everything which irritates me to no end. I can make changes to Mobipocket and every book is open the same way. With eReader, once I close it an reopen it later, I have to start all over. I have tried this with the different OS and still the same thing happens. I wrote both eReader as well as fictionwise, who now owns eReader and someone told me that they are looking in to it.
d2spillers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:54 AM   #4
The Skwerl
Super Skwerl
The Skwerl doesn't litterThe Skwerl doesn't litterThe Skwerl doesn't litter

Device: Sony 500
Here is what it says at the end about .lit files-----------Where can I find ebooks to read?
Most public domain books can be downloaded from Project Gutenberg. If you like science fiction, Baen have many of their books available for free download. (Choose the LIT format.) Even more Baen books are available at Firth Imperium.

If you are buying ebooks, be sure they are not infected with DRM, because Ebook Reader Pro won't be able to read them and Catalyst won't be able to convert them. If you do have DRMed books, you may be able to use Convert LIT or MobiDeDRM to clean them (unless removing DRM is illegal in your country).
The Skwerl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 12:07 PM   #5
d2spillers
d2spillers began at the beginning.

Device: Many
Here are a couple of useful sites
[code:] http://www.diesel-ebooks.com/cgi-bin/category/freetitle [/code] free lit ebooks

[code:] http://www.ebookmall.com/ [/code] For a one time charge of 19.95 over 2500 ebooks in various formats.
d2spillers is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2009, 08:41 AM   #6
comtrjl
Connoisseur
comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2spillers View Post
I have a problem with the eReader Pro...My changes are never saved. I continually have to reset everything which irritates me to no end. I can make changes to Mobipocket and every book is open the same way. With eReader, once I close it an reopen it later, I have to start all over. I have tried this with the different OS and still the same thing happens. I wrote both eReader as well as fictionwise, who now owns eReader and someone told me that they are looking in to it.
The thread-starter is talking about a different product. Having said that, have you checked the path C:\Documents and Settings\<your login name>\Application Data\PDM\eReader User Data\Book Data ?
The directory should exist and be writable. Each time you open a book EReader paginates it and creates a small file here which is also used to keep track of where you've read up to.
(This is the path on Windows XP; Vista is slightly different, I believe).
bob
comtrjl is offline   Reply With Quote