Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-29-2008, 01:15 PM   #1
PsyDocJoanne
Loves her 505 and her Z4!
PsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Nagging problem....anyone else?

Hi everyone,

Lately I've been buying a fair number of books from Fictionwise, and using ConvertLit and Calibre to convert .lit files. The process works great, with one exception that continues to nag me. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this happen, and if so, what your solution is.

I use a laptop running Vista to download my ebooks from Fictionwise via IE 7. When I download a MultiFormat book, I simply choose the LRF option, and the "save" box gives me a choice of where to dump that file to, and all is well and good. When I do the same with a book that I'm downloading in .lit format, it does NOT give me the option to save to a folder of my choice. It simply deposits the .lit file in one of Vista's many Temporary Internet File folders.

When I search the hard drive for the file (*.lit), it can't find the file, even with hidden files/folders turned on. What I've been doing is opening the litpath file associated with MS Reader, scanning for the address of the file, browsing to that Temp file, copying the file to my regular folder for downloaded books, and then running the conversion.

I've streamlined the process a bit by having shortcuts on the desktop to both the litpath file and the Temp files, but it's still a bit of a pain. Any thoughts on a fix or work around for this problem?

Thanks!
PsyDocJoanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 01:23 PM   #2
babyd
Addict
babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony:505, 600, 350, 650, Kindle 3 & PW, Kobo Mini & Aura HD
I use XP and when I download lit files it puts them in My Library folder in My Documents.....I didn't chose it, MR created it for me....do you have one of those?
babyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2008, 01:29 PM   #3
PsyDocJoanne
PsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enough

Hi babyd,

I do have a My Library folder, and I would be glad to direct the .lit ebooks to it when I download, but I do not get a choice of where to send the file to. I've tried changing some of default settings for downloading to try to make Vista give me the prompt to choose where the file will go, but I haven't been able to make it work.
Old 09-29-2008, 01:34 PM   #4
babyd
Addict
babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony:505, 600, 350, 650, Kindle 3 & PW, Kobo Mini & Aura HD
That's odd, as it goes to mine automatically, I was never given an option of where they went, they just went in that folder......... maybe someone else can help, hang on, Im sure someone will be along shortly
babyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 02:52 PM   #5
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Try downloading with Mozilla Firefox (you should be using it over IE7 anyway ). Seriously, there are a number of reasons that could be causing this, and and you can probably avoid all of them by using a different browser.

If it doesn't solve your problem, just remove Firefox (although I advise using it against IE, but to each his own). If it does, you at least know it's caused by IE.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2008, 03:02 PM   #6
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I heartily second Valloric's recommendation for Firefox. I've been using it for quite awhile now--and I feel it works much better for me (at most sites) than IE.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 03:28 PM   #7
PsyDocJoanne

Hi...thanks for the Firefox suggestion. I have and use Firefox from time to time, and in fact, I tried downloading via Firefox to see if it made any difference. It didn't. I also tried Google's new browser, Chrome. No dice there either
Old 09-29-2008, 05:23 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
I heartily second Valloric's recommendation for Firefox. I've been using it for quite awhile now--and I feel it works much better for me (at most sites) than IE.
I'm pretty sure downloading a secure MS Reader (LIT) file requires IE to be used. It should always put the book file in the Documents\My Library folder.

Do you always log in as the same user?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 06:04 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You have to use IE to download DRM laden LIT.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 06:12 PM   #10
RandallFlagg
Hey Trashcan Man
RandallFlagg will become famous soon enoughRandallFlagg will become famous soon enoughRandallFlagg will become famous soon enoughRandallFlagg will become famous soon enoughRandallFlagg will become famous soon enoughRandallFlagg will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook color, prs 505, Axim x30, psp, Acer Aspire One [running xp]
I use firefox for the most part, but I had to see if I could help you with a fix. I found a link to an extension that seems promising. It's at http://www.ie7pro.com
Down in the taskbar a mini download manager appears and it has a option to select save directory before download. I'm using xp sp3 so I don't know how it works with vista. On another note, with this extension, there is a check box for downloading youtube video. I found it in the wiki and with the check of the 3rd box in user scripts, you are able to have a download video link on youtube pages. To open those options click on the new icon at the bottom right corner of ie7. This was something I've been looking for since unplug doesn't work with ff3. I hope this helps and good luck
RandallFlagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 07:08 PM   #11
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I must say I didn't notice this. All the DRM LIT books I've downloaded so far, I downloaded from work (we only have IE there) and in one sitting (mostly Discworld books).
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 09:04 PM   #12
tdavie
tdavie began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

I do use Firefox inside of a virtual machine in OS X, and I have used it to buy .lit books from Fictionwise (only 2 though).

Tom

Maybe it has somethign to do with other software being installed or not installed, but it does work.
tdavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 10:47 AM   #13
PsyDocJoanne

I'm inclined to think it's a setting in Vista, and not something askew with the browser settings. I spent a fair amount of time Googling for fixes, but came up empty.

As far as Firefox actually working to download .lit files, I tried it again last night, and it wouldn't let me. I was pretty sure I had tried it a few weeks ago and it did let me, but still sent the file to a temp folder, but either way, Firefox doesn't solve the problem.

What I need, really, is to find the setting that will make the dialog box prompt me for where to save the file to. I'm guessing its not that easy, but in essence, that would solve the problem.

RandallFlagg (hey, a fellow Stephen King fan!), thanks! I'll try the add on you gave me the link for...can't hurt, right?

Last edited by PsyDocJoanne; 09-30-2008 at 10:52 AM.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:23 PM   #14
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Have you tried right clicking on the download link and choosing "Save Link As"?
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 12:26 PM   #15
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyDocJoanne View Post
What I need, really, is to find the setting that will make the dialog box prompt me for where to save the file to. I'm guessing its not that easy, but in essence, that would solve the problem.
There just is no setting for that. There is a mime type for a .LIT file that directs it to be handled/downloaded by to the MS Reader app. There is also some magic in there that sends your key to the store purchased from so that the LIT file is properly encrypted for your key. I assume there is an IE add-in installed also when MS Reader is installed and registered on the PC.

That said, the LIT book should ALWAYS be downloaded to the My Library folder. I don't know why you wouldn't always see it there... unless the download was interrupted or failed in some way so it was never copied from the temp folder to the My Library folder.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote