Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 10:09 AM   #76
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP ipac RX5915 Wife's Kindle
congratulations

After my initial fumbling and struggles, I must say that the Sigil Crew have done a masterful job.

The best part is the external interface. Editing the content.opf and toc.ncx have become childs play. No more copy-> paste -> edit -> copy -> paste. Final touchup of images, which always is never seen to be needed before loading to sigil, becomes easy.

And then doing this for mutiple OS is outstanding.
If I still owned my Software Company, I'd hire one and all.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:36 PM   #77
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP ipac RX5915 Wife's Kindle
Quote:
It all comes down to, that your Cover, Title Page, Table of Contents and frontpiece doesn't have an "id=". Even if Sigil shows the <h1>, <h2> etc. in the TOC window, it doesn'nt create the links (if they are not present), until you press "Generate Table of Contents" (the cover actually gets a link when splitting, but only to the file, not any id, because there isn't any.)

Regards,

Kim N. Jensen
Thank you. Mr. Jensen. Like the blind pig, I finally stumbled on the answer.
Advert
Old 09-26-2012, 02:19 PM   #78
Oldpilot
Groupie
Oldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with others

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldpilot View Post
Windows XP, with all updates that MS has sent my way; and I downloaded and installed it without uninstalling the earlier version. Since I had the bit in my teeth, I simply uninstalled Sigil and downloaded the older version and installed or re-installed that. When I finish this project, I will start anew. (I'll keep a log this time!)

Thanks. It's a great program.
Okay, I uninstalled the 5.3? version of Sigil, rebooted, deleted the Sigil folder (which still had a lot of stuff in it), and downloaded the Beta again. I opened an html file, and as before, the software vanished off the screen so quickly than it was hard to believe it had ever been there. This was the same effect I saw the other day.

I then opened a epub file created two days ago by Sigil 5.3?, and which validated fine. (This was the same html file, in fact, that had caused the Beta to vanish the other day.) This time the crash was more traditional: up came a MS window saying that Sigil had "encountered a problem and needed to close," and inviting me to report this to MS.

And now I just opened another, earlier epub (created by Sigil). And poof! The Beta vanished.

It sure does move fast!
Old 09-26-2012, 02:49 PM   #79
mmat1
Berti
mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer Lumiread
Very Nice !

Hello,

I love those new editing features (apply "bold" in CV was on top of my wishlist, just after removing those crashes )

I've two Questions:
- why is the button for "wellformed-check" removed from the toolbar ? I would like to have it there, i usually switch quite often...

- the same is for the "Dotall" option, Why is it removed from the Search-Options (Dropdown)
Old 09-26-2012, 03:08 PM   #80
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Okay, I uninstalled the 5.3? version of Sigil, rebooted, deleted the Sigil folder (which still had a lot of stuff in it), and downloaded the Beta again. I opened an html file, and as before, the software vanished off the screen so quickly than it was hard to believe it had ever been there. This was the same effect I saw the other day.

I then opened a epub file created two days ago by Sigil 5.3?, and which validated fine. (This was the same html file, in fact, that had caused the Beta to vanish the other day.) This time the crash was more traditional: up came a MS window saying that Sigil had "encountered a problem and needed to close," and inviting me to report this to MS.

And now I just opened another, earlier epub (created by Sigil). And poof! The Beta vanished.

It sure does move fast!
Can you post or PM the html or epub that's causing a crash?
Advert
Old 09-26-2012, 03:11 PM   #81
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmat1 View Post
Hello,

I love those new editing features (apply "bold" in CV was on top of my wishlist, just after removing those crashes )

I've two Questions:
- why is the button for "wellformed-check" removed from the toolbar ? I would like to have it there, i usually switch quite often...

- the same is for the "Dotall" option, Why is it removed from the Search-Options (Dropdown)
Well-formed was removed because it was too confusing to have a stop sign on the main toolbar and it was the only other toggle there (besides view). Most users wouldn't know what it was for. The option is still there under the Tools menu if you need it. Though with any luck you may find it won't be necessary soon.

The Dotall option is under the Search menu under Regex Options where you can control the settings better for minimal matching and dotall. Having too many items in the drop-down was a bit confusing.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:23 PM   #82
mmat1
Berti
mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer Lumiread
Hi meme,
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme View Post
Though with any luck you may find it won't be necessary soon.
Sounds like another improvement ....

On the other Hand, i was never confused by this...

Quote:
The Dotall option is under the Search menu under Regex Options where you can control the settings better for minimal matching and dotall. Having too many items in the drop-down was a bit confusing.
Yes i already found it ! The question was not "where", it was "why".
Sorry, this option does never confuse me (in the dropdown) and now it's too deep burried in the menues. I always check it with a glance before launching a complex regex s/r.

Please put it on the wishlist. Let the user decide where he wants to see this option.

Old 09-26-2012, 04:48 PM   #83
ludovicus
ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5, Fire HD 10, Sony PRS-T1
Beta Mac Build 0.5.905

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
I'm very interested in OS X feedback. I'm not 100% sure if the package will work because I built the package without XCode itself. I used the command line tools package. I also built it with Qt from HomeBrew.
Just tried the beta on my MacBook Pro (10.6.8), and it crashes instantly. A previous beta (0.5.902) works fine on my Mac.

From Console:

Quote:
9/26/12 4:35:53 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.502[106] ([0x0-0x3b73b7].com.sigil-ebook.Sigil.app[14061]) Job appears to have crashed: Segmentation fault
And the crash log:
Quote:
Process: launchd [14061]
Path: /Users/photo/Desktop/Sigil.app/Contents/MacOS/Sigil
Identifier: com.sigil-ebook.Sigil.app
Version: ??? (???)
Code Type: X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process: launchd [106]

Date/Time: 2012-09-26 16:35:53.134 -0400
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549)
Report Version: 6

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0xfffffffffffffff8
Crashed Thread: Unknown

Backtrace not available

Unknown thread crashed with X86 Thread State (64-bit):
rax: 0x0000000000000055 rbx: 0x0000000000000000 rcx: 0x0000000000000000 rdx: 0x0000000000000000
rdi: 0x0000000000000000 rsi: 0x0000000000000000 rbp: 0x0000000000000000 rsp: 0x0000000000000000
r8: 0x0000000000000000 r9: 0x0000000000000000 r10: 0x0000000000000000 r11: 0x0000000000000000
r12: 0x0000000000000000 r13: 0x0000000000000000 r14: 0x0000000000000000 r15: 0x0000000000000000
rip: 0x00007fff5fc01028 rfl: 0x0000000000010203 cr2: 0xfffffffffffffff8

Binary images description not available
Hopefully this will be helpful in troubleshooting!

Thanks for your efforts!!!
Old 09-26-2012, 05:00 PM   #84
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@mmat1 - in the next beta release, well formed checking cannot be turned off and hence the option has completely disappeared. However it also is only triggered when it absolutely needs to be rather than every time the window loses focus like it was in Sigil 0.5.3 and earlier. You can for instance switch into Preview View without triggering it, switch tabs etc. What *will* trigger it is attempting to switch into Book View, saving, or doing any actions which require some sort of saving behind the scenes (like splitting, merging etc).

As for the Regex options, yeah there is some history behind it. The original 0.5.9 beta had no Regex Dot All option at all so that those options were included in Sigil anywhere at all I considered a huge win . Personally I have been using this Sigil codebase for three months since I added them and not once have I found a need to turn any one of those three options off. So as set and forget it hasn't bothered me to not have them anywhere else. But clearly my usage differs to yours. As always it is a question of the how and where without making it all look too confusing and busy.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:45 PM   #85
Oldpilot
Groupie
Oldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with others

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Can you post or PM the html or epub that's causing a crash?
They all do. The only difference is whether the software just vanishes -- poof! -- or whether I try to open a "chapter" within a previously built epub, in which case the crash is the usual clangy Windows thing.

How do I PM?

Last edited by Oldpilot; 09-26-2012 at 05:51 PM.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:14 PM   #86
Serpentine
Evangelist
Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Oi! We needs a new beta to play with

Minor notes :
  • Could the image preview allow the information text (which is really nice!) to be selectable (Who's too lazy to remember two numbers? This guy!)
  • When removing an item for an epub, the action is to 'delete', however since you use 'add' for the converse operations; Surely 'remove' would be a better choice?

Default search presets :
  • There is a duplicated &shy replacement out of the replacement group it seems?
  • Drag and drop movement in the search editor seems like something bad waiting to happen to someone... up/down buttons or something might be better, but I have no idea about doing that with groups.
  • Empty paragraph - <p>&nbsp;*</p> - This should be <p>(&nbsp*</p> - or more likely something like <p\b[^>]*>(&(nb|em|en|thin)sp;|\s)*</p>
  • Join Paragraphs - (?sU)([A-Za-z,])</p>\s+<p[^>]*> - Would be better as ([[:alpha:],])</p>\s*<p\b[^>]*> - the replace also needs a space before the \1.

Nothing too fancy, if there's going to be a community regex pack or something, perhaps I can get out some of the good stuff.

Last edited by Serpentine; 09-26-2012 at 06:49 PM.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:50 PM   #87
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludovicus View Post
Just tried the beta on my MacBook Pro (10.6.8), and it crashes instantly. A previous beta (0.5.902) works fine on my Mac.
Thanks for reporting back. It is my understanding there was a packaging issue with the MacOS build - user_none suspected it might happen if you read the first post. Last I heard a plan is in place to change things for the next build - it isn't Sigil that is crashing as such, it just can't find the other libraries it needs to start.
Quote:
They all do. The only difference is whether the software just vanishes -- poof! -- or whether I try to open a "chapter" within a previously built epub, in which case the crash is the usual clangy Windows thing.

How do I PM?
Click on a user's name to get options to send a private message.

I will say that out of the approaching 4,000 downloads of this Sigil beta, other than some MacOS users as per above you are the one and only user who has reported a crash problem with this Sigil build.

If it isn't specific to the ePub/HTML you are loading, then it is specific to your machine and some conflict with something else on it. Have you tried it on a different machine - a laptop, a work machine or whatever? I've edited hundreds of EPUBs with this codebase daily over the last three months on both XP and Windows 7 64-bit, and every single crash I had we diagnosed and eliminated, the last of which happened over a month ago. Certainly I have never had anything like the behaviour you describe. Send us your files and do please try another machine, a virtual machine, safe mode etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
Oi! We needs a new beta to play with
There will be a new build very soon. There is more feature goodness that we sneaked in this week, some appearance tweaks from the feedback received, the couple of reported bugs have been fixed and it is has had some attention paid to performance in areas like tab closing and merging so it is smoking fast. Lots to look forward to.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:02 PM   #88
Serpentine
Evangelist
Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
I have a crash on opening some epubs in the beta which open fine with the stable build. Opening and saving one of them fixed it, I didnt check the diff (will a bit later), error was something about trying to read in a unicode file - I assume a bad doctype or something.

That's why I wanted to test a new build before reporting.

A small improvement for the search panel would be an option to save the current search/replace. A larger feature would be to get a list of matches (ideally with some unmatching text around the match, like some greps offer).
Old 09-27-2012, 02:55 AM   #89
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

@Serpentine - was it you that raised issue 1605 then? Because we can't do anything without an actual example ePub that has the issue so we can try to replicate it? We haven't changed anything to do with ePub loading this week so a new beta won't change anything around that. However *if* you can send us one of the files you are having an issue with asap then we may be able to do something about it.

As for search/replace - you can do saving already. Again look at the right-click menu in the Find combobox. There is the new "Search Editor" feature, allowing you to save the current Find/Replace expression, as well as quickly recall the previous ones or those automatically supplied ones you mention above with a right click.

Last edited by kiwidude; 09-27-2012 at 02:57 AM.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:22 AM   #90
meme
Sigil developer

Quote:
  • Could the image preview allow the information text (which is really nice!) to be selectable (Who's too lazy to remember two numbers? This guy!)
  • When removing an item for an epub, the action is to 'delete', however since you use 'add' for the converse operations; Surely 'remove' would be a better choice?
  • Insert image label text now selectable.
  • Delete is used because the Delete key is its shortcut, and it means the same as remove in this context.

Quote:
Default search presets :
  • There is a duplicated &shy replacement out of the replacement group it seems?
  • Drag and drop movement in the search editor seems like something bad waiting to happen to someone... up/down buttons or something might be better, but I have no idea about doing that with groups.
  • Empty paragraph - <p>&nbsp;*</p> - This should be <p>(&nbsp*</p> - or more likely something like <p\b[^>]*>(&(nb|em|en|thin)sp;|\s)*</p>
  • Join Paragraphs - (?sU)([A-Za-z,])</p>\s+<p[^>]*> - Would be better as ([[:alpha:],])</p>\s*<p\b[^>]*> - the replace also needs a space before the \1.

Nothing too fancy, if there's going to be a community regex pack or something, perhaps I can get out some of the good stuff.
  • Duplicate shy will be removed, thanks.
  • Will look at arrows for the Editors - though drag&drop is always requested...
  • Empty paragraph was just an example - but like your second one so will use that. Of course you can change it, add more, etc. They're just a few examples to give ideas. Others may post their favourites in the Regex Examples thread.
  • Join Paragraph space added and find updated.

Quote:
I have a crash on opening some epubs in the beta which open fine with the stable build. Opening and saving one of them fixed it, I didnt check the diff (will a bit later), error was something about trying to read in a unicode file - I assume a bad doctype or something.
PM or post a link to the epub so we can see what its dying on on opening.

Quote:
A small improvement for the search panel would be an option to save the current search/replace. A larger feature would be to get a list of matches (ideally with some unmatching text around the match, like some greps offer).
Try right-clicking on the Find text box - you'll see all your searches available to load, and an option to add the search to the Search Editor.

Sounds like a Find All feature. That's a bit more work but something we'll note on the issue log to consider later.
Closed Thread