Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-13-2016, 01:11 PM   #2476
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikseldon View Post
Thanks guys! Using this guide I downgraded my PW1 to 5.3.3 and then used kindle-jailbreak-1.14.N to jailbreak and it worked perfectly fine!

Should I now stay offline in order to avoid a forced update that might affect this jailbreak?
The jailbreak will survive but you will have to reinstall the hotfix and any hacks you have added.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 08:16 PM   #2477
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
The hotfix is identical to the jailbreak.
That is what a hotfix is -- it is a version of something else, modified to fix a specific problem.

The jailbreak, once fully installed, contains a bridge which will preserve it through firmware updates. However, you will of course have to reinstall all hacks other than KUAL extensions.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2016, 12:07 AM   #2478
nikseldon
nikseldon began at the beginning.

Smile Great!

Thanks! So, I'll just let it update, reinstall needed hacks and enjoy my book cover screen saver.
nikseldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 12:37 PM   #2479
nikseldon

Locked in Font Change screen

I let it update (it automatically updated to 5.6.1.1 - which is more than I had before downgrading, i had only gotten up to 5.4.6, i think) and then reinstalled the hacks.

Afterwards, I installed KUAL, the screen saver lock and the backdoor lock and it all went fine.

It's just that I can no longer change fonts. Whenever I open the font menu, I get locked in it. I can press it's setting buttons but the X button does not work. All I can do is reset the device.
Old 09-14-2016, 01:06 PM   #2480
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Note that the Backdoor Lock does not work on 5.6.x firmware.

See Step #8 spoiler of the current (newer models) jail break for directions on blocking OTA updates.

I don't have a clue about the rest, I do not use the font hack.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2016, 02:34 PM   #2481
nikseldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post

I don't have a clue about the rest, I do not use the font hack.
I don't have the font hack installed. The regular Aa button that allows you to change the font while reading a book will crash my kindle.

I downgraded back to 5.3.3 and it worked, reupdated to 5.6.1.1 and I have the same issue again. Pressing the Aa button will leave me unable to exit that menu.
Old 09-14-2016, 02:54 PM   #2482
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I don't have the font hack installed. The regular Aa button that allows you to change the font while reading a book will crash my kindle.

I downgraded back to 5.3.3 and it worked, reupdated to 5.6.1.1 and I have the same issue again. Pressing the Aa button will leave me unable to exit that menu.
Report it to Amazon customer service.
That is a problem with their code, not with ours.
Old 09-15-2016, 04:59 AM   #2483
nikseldon

Quote:
Report it to Amazon customer service.
That is a problem with their code, not with ours.
Hehe! Good to know.

The jailbroken 5.3.3 works great and I'm now thinking of trying an intermediary version. I'll have to find one that allows me to disable the percentage read from the right corner.

Thanks for the help and the awesome jailbreak!
Old 09-15-2016, 08:37 AM   #2484
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Hehe! Good to know.

The jailbroken 5.3.3 works great and I'm now thinking of trying an intermediary version. I'll have to find one that allows me to disable the percentage read from the right corner.

Thanks for the help and the awesome jailbreak!
Just tap the percentage.

The update should have included the "Kindle User's Guide".
Old 09-15-2016, 11:58 AM   #2485
nikseldon

Quote:
Just tap the percentage.

The update should have included the "Kindle User's Guide".
Obviously, that does not work. Touching the percentage does nothing, touching the location toggles between location, left in chapter and left in book but it never dissapears from the screen.

I think that's a "feature" amazon added in later versions of the software, not in 5.3.3.
Old 09-15-2016, 12:01 PM   #2486
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Obviously, that does not work. Touching the percentage does nothing, touching the location toggles between location, left in chapter and left in book but it never dissapears from the screen.

I think that's a "feature" amazon added in later versions of the software, not in 5.3.3.
I really can't say.

You can try each of the more recent Amazon firmware releases until you find one that you like.
They are all available from the Amazon download server.

The "how to" get those is one of the FGA.
(The cliff's notes version: just change the firmware version sub-string in the URL)

Last edited by knc1; 09-15-2016 at 12:04 PM.
Old 09-15-2016, 12:50 PM   #2487
nikseldon

Thumbs up

Quote:
I really can't say.

You can try each of the more recent Amazon firmware releases until you find one that you like.
They are all available from the Amazon download server.

The "how to" get those is one of the FGA.
(The cliff's notes version: just change the firmware version sub-string in the URL)
Yup, this solved it! I'm on 5.4.4 now, jailbroken, with the screen saver hack and without the annoying percentage showing all the time! Thanks!
Old 09-20-2016, 02:23 PM   #2488
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
Seems that the current hotfix (of 28.08) cannot be installed over 5.8.2.1.
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 02:25 PM   #2489
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by hius07 View Post
Seems that the current hotfix (of 28.08) cannot be installed over 5.8.2.1.
You are in the wrong thread. This is for older kindles.
You need the other jailbreak thread.
Try here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=275877
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 02:11 PM   #2490
Esther52
Esther52 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1
Good afternoon. Using this guide I downgraded my PW1 to 5.3.3 and then used kindle-jailbreak-1.14.N to jailbreak and it worked perfectly fine! (as nikseldon). Screen Saver now see as the book I'm reading.
It 5.6.1.1 update only via wifi?
If the screensaver is updated lose the book I'm reading?
I have to do to keep the screen saver if it is updated only via wifi to 5.6.1.1.
I'm a little lost, but I have read many pages on this topic.
Thank you very much for everything.
I used a translator, sorry for the translation.
Esther52 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5.1.0, 5.2.0, jailbreak, kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, touch