Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Fictionwise eBookwise

Notices

Old 08-19-2010, 03:29 PM   #1
ljohn1999
ljohn1999 began at the beginning.

Device: ebookwise 1150
SD card reader

I would like to buy one of those SD card reader / writer for my ebookwise 1150 so I can directly put reading material on the card from my computer. My problem is finding an adapter that will fit these large size cards. I bought one on line that is suppose to take the old larger cards but it was to small. My laptop has one of those multi card readers but again it is to small for the card. Can someone point me to a card reader adapter that is known to fit the ebookwise 1150 SD flash cards and would also fit into my computer? Thanks
ljohn1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 05:44 AM   #2
250 Coupe
Groupie
250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch

Device: Many ebook readers at my house
I think part of your trouble finding a reader is a misunderstanding about which card is used in the eBookwise. It uses a SmartMedia card. They are no longer available new except from JR Music (http://www.jr.com/delkin-devices/pe/DEK_DDSMFLS2128/) but readers are still around.

I don't have much luck finding readers at JR Music, this one is from Tiger Direct. I don't own one of these and don't know any more about it than what's shown but it should work just fine.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...7796&CatId=942

As an aside, DO NOT remove the card with the reader turned on. There have been reports of the eBookwise being damaged by doing so. I put a small flag of tape on the edge of my cards so I can get them out without resorting to tweezers.

Michael
250 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2010, 11:35 PM   #3
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
The last time I was in Target, the media card adapter they had in the laptop aisle included a slot for SmartMedia cards.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:41 AM   #4
ljohn1999
ljohn1999 began at the beginning.

Thank you to both responders above. I did find it at my local Target store, but was glad as well to know where to find it online should I have needed to. Now I just need to learn how to use it in place of the ebookwise Librarian.
ljohn1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 04:23 PM   #5
youngsmoke
youngsmoke began at the beginning.

transfer to SD card

Hey,
You can't transfer your books directly to the SD card unless they are already in the readers native format. I did the same thing (bought a smart media reader) and found out the hard way that if you have the book in any other format (pdf or doc) you have to use the librarian software to convert it to the native format. sorry and good luck
Ari
youngsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2010, 05:01 PM   #6
JayCook
JayCook began at the beginning.

Device: Ebookwise 1150
Really? I just ordered a SmartMedia Card. So I won't be able to use the same files I would transfer via the Personal Content Server onto the Card (i.e. *.rtf, *.doc etc. - insert the card - then see the files?
JayCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 01:07 AM   #7
250 Coupe
Groupie
250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch

Device: Many ebook readers at my house
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCook View Post
Really? I just ordered a SmartMedia Card. So I won't be able to use the same files I would transfer via the Personal Content Server onto the Card (i.e. *.rtf, *.doc etc. - insert the card - then see the files?
The files need to be in *.imp format to transfer directly. My 1200 will convert *.rb files dropped into the root but I don't remember if the 1150 will. There are programs out there that create *.rb files, I use this to convert *.lit files, http://www.processtext.com/abclit.html

I've not used the personal content server so I don't know if you can download files from there and save them to a card (or your PC).

You can try the eBook Publisher from eBook Technologies to create *.imp files locally and transfer them to your card.
http://www.ebooktechnologies.com/support_download.htm

Michael
250 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:54 AM   #8
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I gave my ebookwise to my 8 yo daughter some time ago, but she is not satisfied with most of the classics I put on it. So last night I tried to hook up to the personal content server, and could not connect the device at all. The computer shows it hooked up, the little antenna showed the connection, but the device, no connection. So thank you for the link to the card reader, I ordered one this morning.

I would actually prefer to load books onto the card, so hopefully this will work. I've got the mobi2imp program and have converted some books for her. If I recall, its the OEB container file that must be loaded to the device, correct? Hopefully the reader will be here by the end of the week....that company also sells the reader on ebay and I ordered it there.

In the meantime, I put the book she wanted to read onto the Nintendo DSL and she is reading it now. That screen is so small, though. The ebookwise really is a nice reader, but for the format limitation.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:40 AM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
You simply load the IMP file to the card. It is the container file and will be expanded when you place the memory card back in the device.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:11 AM   #10
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks. It has been quite some time since I last loaded books onto the device, and I always did it via the content server before.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:46 AM   #11
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

The card reader arrived, and I was able to use it to put the book my daughter wants onto the ebookwise! Woo hoo! So excited. I have more books to convert and load now.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:30 AM   #12
shighfield
Groupie!? GROUPIE!?!?
shighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enough

Device: EBW 1150, Kobo Touch
I have a kobo touch now, but still use my EBW for reading at night, and my wife refuses to give hers up as well. Thankfully I have the whole converting of books down now.
shighfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:32 AM   #13
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Well after all that, hubby has convinced me to sell mine. So whenever I get around to taking pictures of it, I'll post it in the flea market here.