Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-13-2010, 06:18 AM   #1
travger
Evangelist
travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: palm tx, Windows7, Galaxy A5
Original filename and colorcoded numbers

Hi
I wonder if it is possible to save somewhere the original filename? I added a folder to the library, and after renaming books (so that all exemplars of the same book are grouped together) I have now hard time to tell them apart. Like, if I have 4 pdf-s, convert one and like the result; now I want to delete others from original folder also. (Or in case I decide that one of them is definately not acceptable). If there is a filename to check, there would be no need to open them all.

And another idea - there is a nice column that's used just for numbers and nothing else. Maybe it's possible to add color?
I would be happy with green/red/gray and use it to mark books as perfect/need work/have not looked, somebody else could want read/want to read or whatever else, so maybe colors could be user-defined.
Of course I can use special coloumn, but there's only so much space and here's already whole coloumn right at front and practically unused.

Of course, all this could be very hard or impossible to achieve, or there could already be some easier way. Please forgive me if it happens to be so.
travger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 06:56 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
It seems that you want to keep the original filenames for what calibre calls formats, not books. Even if calibre kept such a thing, there wouldn't be a convenient place to show it, because there would be one per format. That aside, you can get some of what you want by creating a comments-type custom column and pasting the original paths for a book's formats into that.

What column are you referring to when you say 'numbers'? It that the rating? If you don't want to see it, you can hide it.

As for color, I will leave that to Kovid. My guess is that it isn't trivial.

Asking politely for features isn't something you need to be forgiven for.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2010, 07:12 AM   #3
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Please, please, DO NOT even think of color coding. Colorblindness afflicts a significant percentage of the population (roughly 10%).
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 07:18 AM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Please, please, DO NOT even think of color coding. Colorblindness afflicts a significant percentage of the population (roughly 10%).
The OP is asking for a way to color a cell according to some specification that s/he dreams up. That is a reasonable request for a feature that would be useful for those who are not color challenged (as I am, but apparently less than you are).

Nothing would be color coded by default, if indeed anything happens at all.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:56 AM   #5
travger
Evangelist
travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Numbers - very first coloumn before the name of the book.

Yes, I'm talking about formats. Original filename is something that is important only when I need it. Special coloumn would be always under my eyes (with little scrolling), and I still have to open each pdf before paste to tell them apart. Also, it is not important enough to see in book info panel or anywhere without specially asking for it. What I had in mind was maybe right-click option or note in metadata window - but visible only there.
Calibre copies file to the library and changes filename. Maybe it could paste original name into metadata also? I know exactly where the original is, difficulty is in which one it is. Maybe on the third tab could be stored info that you can see only if you go looking for it?

I tried custom column and it added everything into book details. With 3-4 formats, it's quite a lot of junk.
Advert
Old 10-13-2010, 08:01 AM   #6
travger
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
The OP is asking for a way to color a cell according to some specification that s/he dreams up.

Nothing would be color coded by default, if indeed anything happens at all.
Of course it should be up to user to use.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:30 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I really dislike the idea of color coding personally (I think list of entries in different colors look horrible), so I am not motivated to implement it. But if someone else wants to implement it as an optional feature, I wont refuse the patch.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 01:15 PM   #8
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

FWIW, I won't be doing the color-coded field change. I wouldn't use it, and it is the kind of thing that would be forever generating UI 'change requests' that aren't fun to deal with.

If someone wants to take the project on, then a new custom column type (or a variant of the integer type) is one path that be worth consideration.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:02 PM   #9
travger
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I really dislike the idea of color coding personally (I think list of entries in different colors look horrible).
I totally agree, that's why I asked to color code only one coloumn of cells - and the narrowest one.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:14 AM   #10
IzzyMad
Enthusiast
IzzyMad began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
This may be a little off topic but is there a way of stopping or changing the format Calibre uses when adding books, at the moment it's title-author and I was wondering if it was possible to leave the file names as is in my case 00~000 Title

Thanks Izzy
IzzyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 06:42 AM   #11
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IzzyMad View Post
This may be a little off topic but is there a way of stopping or changing the format Calibre uses when adding books, at the moment it's title-author and I was wondering if it was possible to leave the file names as is in my case 00~000 Title
If you are talking about the folder & file names in calibre's library, then no, there is no way to change it.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:22 AM   #12
Perkin
Guru
Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kobo Aura HD, iPad (Marvin)
If your files have the 00~000 in the filename, when importing, you can get the title from just the filename and as long as the import template is set up for those filenames, then calibre's book titles will store that info as well. (you may have problem getting metadata though)
Perkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 09:16 AM   #13
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IzzyMad View Post
Your imported books are exactly as you left them in the directories you imported them from. You can export books however you like. You can't change how calibre's internal file system works, and shouldn't mess with it.

And once you've seen all the ways calibre gives you to organize your books (see my .sig) you won't want to.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 09:43 AM   #14
IzzyMad
Enthusiast
IzzyMad began at the beginning.

What I'm trying to do is when I import books that i have formated and save as say "02~001 The Colour of Magic" then Calibre changes it to "The Colour of Magic - Terry Pratchett" and I wonder if it was possible to leave the imported files as "02~001 The Colour of Magic"

I want to do this as when I load them onto my ebook reader they some times go out of order and if I can then look at the original file I will know which order they are meant to be read in as My code system is just the Author(first 2 digits) Then the series(Third Digit) then the position within that series(last 2 digits) not different categories or genres

"Filesystems manage files. Calibre manages books. Let calibre do what it's there for, and don't go peeking up its skirt. It'll slap you. ~ ~ (explanation here)"

I realise that Calibre is very good at what it does but I just want it to leave my original File names alone then I wouldn't need to have two copies lying around and I could just use Calibre and let it do all the work. where as at the moment I have to have two different copies of everything.
Thanks

Last edited by IzzyMad; 11-01-2010 at 09:58 AM.
IzzyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 09:57 AM   #15
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
You won't get it to leave the original filename, however, you can get it to import the original filename as title. For that, in the adding books- preferences, change the regular expression (assuming that "02~001 The Colour of Magic" is your filename and should be your title) for reading metadata to
Code:
(?P<title>.*)
Then set Calibre to read metadata from filenames instead of content.
The downside of this is that you won't get any author or other metadata, unless that metadata is encoded in the path and you adjust the regular expression accordingly.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote