Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-02-2009, 01:14 PM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
5" screens need a cover not a sleeve

Why is it we are seeing 5" screened eink devices coming with a sleeve and not a proper cover? They need a cover just as much as a 6" screen. They are just as susceptible to breakage as a 6" screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 01:18 PM   #2
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Maybe because it is cheaper to include with the reader, saving them a little money so they can sell the reader a little cheaper...
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 01:20 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
Maybe because it is cheaper to include with the reader, saving them a little money so they can sell the reader a little cheaper...
But then what will they do when the complaints come in about broken screens that probably would not have broken had the readers had a cover?
Old 08-02-2009, 01:25 PM   #4
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
As long as the sleeve is padded enough I don't really see the difference in protection.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 01:30 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
As long as the sleeve is padded enough I don't really see the difference in protection.
The difference is that in order to use these readers, you will have to remove them from the sleeve. So if you drop one while outside the sleeve, the risk of damage s a lot greater then had it been in a proper cover.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:37 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The difference is that in order to use these readers, you will have to remove them from the sleeve. So if you drop one while outside the sleeve, the risk of damage s a lot greater then had it been in a proper cover.
I'm not sure a cover is that much help if you drop your reader. It helps prevent twisting forces (which a sleeve does not do) and sharp pressure on the screen (e.g. from the corner of another device in, say, a backpack). A sleeve also helps for the latter very common failure mode, but only if you always use it.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 01:42 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
I'm not sure a cover is that much help if you drop your reader. It helps prevent twisting forces (which a sleeve does not do) and sharp pressure on the screen (e.g. from the corner of another device in, say, a backpack). A sleeve also helps for the latter very common failure mode, but only if you always use it.
A cover is not the perfect protection. But it does protect more then without. Last time I dropped my reader it landed on it's back where the cover was there to protect it.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:50 PM   #8
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I'm not so sure that a case would provide more protection than a sleeve.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 01:51 PM   #9
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Personally, I think there should be more of an emphasis on using wrist straps. This virtually eliminates the risk of dropping the device while adding only a negligible amount of weight. Is there any way of adding a section about wrist strap compatability to the Wiki? The Sony Readers all have wrist strap posts, the Kindles don't. What about the Irex, Hanlin, and Netronix devices?
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 02:18 PM   #10
lisreed
Addict
lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.

Device: Nook GlowLight 3
There will be covers. The company that is supposedly selling these pre-order are offering covers for both devices for a separate price. With either size you will have to buy the cover separately like you do with the kindle. I don't agree however that you have to have a cover. That is a personal decision. With my kindle I have a sleeve that is frankly more protective that any cover I have seen. It has a hard shell and I have no problems with it. With my sony reader I do use a cover. I just can't ever find a cover for the kindle that is as light as the sony cover and I don't want to add a bunch of weight to my reading experience.
lisreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 02:22 PM   #11
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
A cover also protects against corner/edge drops. Even if the cover is open the edges usually protrude beyond the side of the device and will cushion the fall.

I suspect that the need for a cover versus sleeve depends on the type of reader that you are, and I'm probably more like JSWolf in this regard. I carry my book with me everywhere. I read on the couch, at the table, and in the [let's not go there]. When I go to my car, I take my reader and turn on Text-to-speech.

Anyway, this means I often carry my reader open as well as a stack of other stuff I'm taking with me from place to place. And I do have occasional drops when it is opened. If you only read sitting down on the couch then you won't have this issue.

I have this picture of me as this person who never puts down their book and juggles two or three different things at a time. My nose is buried in a book and life may sometimes pass me by. Sometimes a thing or two that I am juggling will dropss (literally). On the other hand, I have this picture of a 'sleeve' user as someone who is 'prim and proper'. They schedule reading time for an hour and go to pick up their reader from the shelf where it is stored away. They sit in their reading chair while maintaining correct posture and carefully remove their reader from its sleeve.

Or maybe you all read like me and its just that I'm a klutz .
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 02:25 PM   #12
CathalMagus
CathalMagus is on a distinguished road

Device: Hanlin V3 (lBook r2) with OpenInkpot
Quote:
Originally Posted by luqmaninbmore View Post
The Sony Readers all have wrist strap posts, the Kindles don't. What about the Irex, Hanlin, and Netronix devices?
The Hanlin V3 comes with a wrist-strap.
CathalMagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 02:27 PM   #13
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post
A cover also protects against corner/edge drops. Even if the cover is open the edges usually protrude beyond the side of the device and will cushion the fall.
Up until you drop it next to a desk, the cover opens away from the reader body slightly as it falls, and the corner of the reader lands on the foot of the table... thankfully it survived (well, it was only a small drop!)
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 03:19 PM   #14
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
It sucks, but companies have no obligation to include cases.

Look at cellphones. Many are pretty fragile and really need a good case (especially the iPhone) but seldom do any come with a case.

Or look at the Kindle 2 where the case is a $30 accessory not included in the package.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 03:36 PM   #15
slm
Fool
slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW1, Kobo Glo HD, Nook Glowlight Plus ...
For the Jetbook (5 inch screen), I just bought a Moleskine small reporter's notebook, sliced out the pages and glued the back to the back of the Jetbook.
It keeps the "very small form factor" I was looking for and covers the screen nicely. It does not cover all the buttons or edges.
slm is offline   Reply With Quote