Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-15-2013, 05:16 PM   #1
Suzanne2
Suzanne2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Finding free books without a computer

Hi there, does anyone know how to get a list up of ALL the free books just using the Kobo mini, without attaching it to a computer or using a computer at all?

The nearest I can get apart form using Gutenberg in the web browser, is the 'top free ebooks' list on the Reading Lists page, but that is very limited. Please help me if you can! Many thanks.
Suzanne2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:07 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne2 View Post
Hi there, does anyone know how to get a list up of ALL the free books just using the Kobo mini, without attaching it to a computer or using a computer at all?

The nearest I can get apart form using Gutenberg in the web browser, is the 'top free ebooks' list on the Reading Lists page, but that is very limited. Please help me if you can! Many thanks.
You can get a list of all the free ebooks just using your Mini's web browser but you really don't want to. There are close to 2 million of them. Use your computer/tablet/whatever for the search for the larger screen and better controls. I've used the store link and the web browser to download books from the Kobo store when I already knew what books I wanted. If you don't know what you are looking for and are just browsing, it's an exercise in masochism to use your Kobo for the task.

After the above, if you still want to see all the free books on your Kobo, open the web browser, go to www.kobobooks.com, slide the page to the left, tap on the search bar and then hit Go to return all the books in the Kobo catalog. At the top of the returned search item list, tap on all and then select free only. If you want books only in English, tap on English, wait till the screen refreshes then tap on all and select free only. Currently on my Aura, that returns 2,370,690 books. You can use the genres on the right of the screen to reduce the number of returned books but rememeber to reselect free only after every selection. If I select English, Science Fiction/Fantasy and free only, I still get 57,502 search results.

Anyhow, I did this on an Aura. On a mini with it's smaller screen, it's going to be even more of a pain.

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 06-15-2013 at 06:21 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2013, 06:10 PM   #3
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
I have downloaded free books from http://www.feedbooks.com/ and http://www.gutenberg.org with my Kobo readers just as a test. Works ok but rather use computer.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:56 AM   #4
bookaho!ic
Evangelist
bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo Aura H20 2nd Ed
have a look at nobooko.com too
bookaho!ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:34 PM   #5
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
I just used Kobo Touch browser to log onto feedbooks.com and download a book. It still works good without having to type extra always same part of web address (http//www) not normally not needed with modern browser. What is still missing is any indication that words or words are links by underline or rectangle around link. Kobo book store accessed from KT is better.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
free