Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 07-20-2009, 05:36 PM   #1
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
page number ghosting

Since I got my Cool-er I downloaded a number of epub books from Fictionwise, as well as converted a few books that I had in other formats to epub.

One of the consistant things I have noticed is that there seems to be page number ghosting. At the side of the screen sometimes a page number will show up, faintly and overlaying the last two letters of text on that line.

It doesn't happen on regular pdfs as far as I can tell.

Is this normal? Is there some way I can fix it? Is it a special "feature" of epub?

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 08:21 PM   #2
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassanik View Post
Is this normal? Is there some way I can fix it? Is it a special "feature" of epub?
It is the way how ADE displays ePubs. For more info, see this topic.
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2009, 12:49 AM   #3
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
ahhh

Ah thank you. It appears it a "feature" then.

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 01:01 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Yes, it is a feature and it shows that Cool-er is using ADE code. Oh and be very careful with your Cool-er since you don't yet have a cover for it. Don't put it in your bag and go out of the house with it. Chances are higher that the screen will break with no cover. If I didn't have a cover, my 505 would stay at home.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 07:45 AM   #5
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassanik View Post
Ah thank you. It appears it a "feature" then.
Yes. Except it will be even more annoying on your device, since the newer ADE version supports full justification. 505 has "jagged right edge", and these numbers more frequently than not don't overlap with the text.

If Adobe must continue to dream about rolling ePub into PDF one day, the dotted line as an end-of-page marker would have worked better IMHO.
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2009, 11:09 AM   #6
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
The margin page numbering is not a bad idea by itself. You should be able to switch it on/off, and it should be OFF by default. Making it always "on" is an absolutely horrible idea.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 08:13 PM   #7
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
The margin page numbering is not a bad idea by itself. You should be able to switch it on/off, and it should be OFF by default. Making it always "on" is an absolutely horrible idea.

Could not agree more! This is the main reason I'm not switching over from LRF to epub. that and the lack of right justification of text.
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 08:33 AM   #8
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amalthia View Post
that and the lack of right justification of text.
They actually added support for full justification in the latest version of ADE. Sony just needs to provide us with updated firmware that would update the one we have on the Reader.

It's been a few months now, so don't hold your breath for that.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 11:40 AM   #9
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Yes, it is a feature and it shows that Cool-er is using ADE code. Oh and be very careful with your Cool-er since you don't yet have a cover for it. Don't put it in your bag and go out of the house with it. Chances are higher that the screen will break with no cover. If I didn't have a cover, my 505 would stay at home.
Your post reminds me of a motivational poster at my workplace.

"If you are not riding the wave of change,
You will find yourself beneath it."

Not finding it quite sufficiently sinister as it is, I like to always mentally complete it:

"If you are not riding the wave of change,
You will find yourself beneath it...
Sleeping with the fishes. Capisce?
"

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 11:26 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Well, ePub is the wave of change and Mobipocket is so last year.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote