Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 03-11-2013, 06:16 AM   #1
warwick
warwick began at the beginning.

Device: Acer Iconia Tab A501
Moon+ Reader Pro: a novice's questions

This is my first post to these forums. I aim to share my experiences, positive and negative, with using Moon+ Reader Pro during the past week, and to seek help for some of my problems.

Some background. I do most of my reading in print, but I rely on my Android tablet (an Acer Iconia Tab A501) extensively while travelling, both for general reading and for travel guides. For some time I used Lumiread and two other e-reader applications, a result of purchasing DRM protected e-books from different distributors. Early this month, in preparing for a forthcoming holiday in Europe, I purchased 10 Lonely Planet guides as PDFs. These guides were delivered as 65 separate PDF files (one for each chapter) and they were a mess in Lumiread.

I experimented with a few different e-readers and acquired Moon+ Reader Pro, and consolidated all of my e-books in it. I consider that its metadata management capabilities are a significant benefit. I can use the “Edit Book Information” dialogue box to edit the book title, the cover title, the tags and the cover art in an easy-to-use manner. I can create tags such as “Travel. Ireland” and “Travel. Budapest” and use the “By Tags” display in My Shelf to restrict my display to (say) the 13 PDF files which Lonely Planet uses in its guide to Budapest. Being chapters, most of the files lack proper covers, and I can use “Select Cover” so that all the PDF files for a particular guide have the same cover appearance. By editing the Book Title and the Cover Title separately I can, if I wish, ensure that initial articles (a, an, the) are ignored in the shelf arrangement, which is especially handy in the “All Books” display.

So far, all good. But I have encountered four issues (so far).

ISSUE 1: Cannot import an individual book. Often when I download a book my tablet does not give me an “Open in … Moon Reader” prompt. Then when I try to import it using the Moon Reader “Import Books” function, I am allowed only to import all of the e-books stored in a particular directory. I have not found an option to import a single book, such as the one with the most recent date-time stamp. I have tried to get around this by moving the single book temporarily to a “New books” folder using my File Manager, but this seems a very cumbersome way of addressing the issue. Have I missed something, or is there a way around this?

ISSUE 2: My cover art is not stable. Often when I do import a book, I find that the changes that I made to the cover art, for all of the books in My Shelf, have been destroyed, and I have to re-do them. Why does this happen? Is there any way to protect my cover art changes? I now routinely use the “Backup” feature under “Options” and I am hoping that this will protect my cover art in future. But if I recover them by using “Restore”, won’t my latest book import also disappear?

ISSUE 3: DRM protected books. These books, purchased previously, cannot be read in Moon Reader unless I strip the DRM. As a first step towards this, I have installed Calibre, and I have read Apprentice Alf’s Blog post on this topic, but I would be very grateful for a guide on how to remove DRM using Calibre plugins. A simple, step-by-step guide for the average user who lacks an IT degree.

ISSUE 4: Best model for using Moon Reader and Calibre. I get the idea behind Calibre as a comprehensive front end for searching, acquiring, cataloguing and converting ebooks to a variety of formats. But Calibre is running on Windows 7 on my desktop at home. I want to be able to acquire and import ebooks while I am travelling away from home – at a writers festival, for instance. What is the best model for using Calibre in conjunction with a reader such as Moon Reader? How do other forum members use them in combination?

Sorry that this is such a long post. Some of my problems are no doubt due to my inexperience, and there may be straightforward solutions. Thanks in advance for your help.
warwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:13 AM   #2
FatDog
Witless protection Agent
FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
ISSUE1: The model they use is that you want every book in a directory to be imported and make the entire folder part of your local shelf.

But I have done the "import" and click the options (funny 3 horizontal bars in upper right corner) to turn on multi-select. Now I pick the 3-4-10 books I want to add and it only imports those books.

I have not connected Calibre to Moon+ but there are people who have done this. It usually also involves some cloud-based service like Dropbox or SugarSync. One computer hosts your Calibre and when you import books you somehow can 'push' selected volumes to the shared folder. The cloud service syncs to your android folder and somehow pushes the ebook into Moon.

I bought a BlueTooth keyboard to fix the book information. I got tired of fat-fingering the fields so prefer to use the cursor keys and tab/shift-tab to move the insert point around. It is also a lot easier to cut/paste as a bunch of my books seem to have the information like Title and Author flipped. Logitech makes a nice one that includes a semi-hard case for the keyboard that flips open to be a stand for the tablet.

I tend to never import books while traveling so I cannot help you with that model.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2013, 01:00 PM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by warwick View Post
ISSUE 3: DRM protected books. These books, purchased previously, cannot be read in Moon Reader unless I strip the DRM. As a first step towards this, I have installed Calibre, and I have read Apprentice Alf’s Blog post on this topic, but I would be very grateful for a guide on how to remove DRM using Calibre plugins. A simple, step-by-step guide for the average user who lacks an IT degree.
Detailed help with DRM removal is not permitted on MobileRead.

If you've read the posts and the readmes at Apprentice Alf's and you're still confused, ask there.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:34 AM   #4
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
I use Moon+ Reader for those few books I download to my tablet; I assume the Pro version is better ? - Even if it 'just' gets rid of the annoying adverts.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:37 AM   #5
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
I got the Pro version. I'd say it is worth it and supports the developer..... Plus the TTS works well on Moonreader plus with the Ivonabeta TTS voices...Free now in Beta.....
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2013, 11:21 AM   #6
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
TTS is something I don't need, nor can use
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:54 AM   #7
Dimitrios Spirou
Dimitrios Spirou began at the beginning.

Device: ASUS TF900T
Sync Ebooks with comments

This is my first post..so please forgive me if I do something wrong...
I installed Calibre in my PC and I synced a couple of my ebooks with my Android device using Calibre companion. I used Moon+ on my tablet to read and comment on my ebooks but I can not get them synced back (with the comments) to my PC library. Is there any way to do this?

Thank you
Dimitrios Spirou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:55 PM   #8
forumshrew
forumshrew understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.forumshrew understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.forumshrew understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.forumshrew understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.forumshrew understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.forumshrew understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.forumshrew understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.forumshrew understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.forumshrew understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.forumshrew understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.forumshrew understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.

Device: Asus Transformer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitrios Spirou View Post
This is my first post..so please forgive me if I do something wrong...
I installed Calibre in my PC and I synced a couple of my ebooks with my Android device using Calibre companion. I used Moon+ on my tablet to read and comment on my ebooks but I can not get them synced back (with the comments) to my PC library. Is there any way to do this?

Thank you
Dimitrios,

If your still out there and ever review your post, here is the answer.
With an epub format any notes or highlights you make with Moon Pro will not be seen when you transfer said notated/highlighted book back to pc (and say open in calibre reader). BUT you can take all highlighted text or notated text and with Moon Pro export them to a text editor on the tablet. Save that text file and then copy it over to your desktop pc, to edit in word processor as you wish.
forumshrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:43 AM   #9
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I've just installed Moon + on my Nook HD, the free version as I want to try it out first.

I had two Calibre created epubs already on my Nook but neither of them gives me the option to open in Moon yet when I emailed a DRM non Calibre ePub to myself I could open that in Moon.

The Calibre created epubs already on my Nook only had the Reader, Mantano and Overdrive options.

Does anyone have any ideas please?
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 02:24 PM   #10
forumshrew
forumshrew understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.forumshrew understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.forumshrew understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.forumshrew understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.forumshrew understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.forumshrew understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.forumshrew understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.forumshrew understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.forumshrew understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.forumshrew understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.forumshrew understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.

Device: Asus Transformer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I've just installed Moon + on my Nook HD, the free version as I want to try it out first.

I had two Calibre created epubs already on my Nook but neither of them gives me the option to open in Moon yet when I emailed a DRM non Calibre ePub to myself I could open that in Moon.

The Calibre created epubs already on my Nook only had the Reader, Mantano and Overdrive options.

Does anyone have any ideas please?

Seems to me that just clicking on an epub (I'm guessing that is what you did) will open automatically with the Nook HD reader ( I haven't seen if it's possible to make Moon Reader the default reader so this doesn't happen). Any epub that I want to read only on Moon Reader I will import them to Moon Reader (they will then be found in Moon Reader shelves). The import is done with the epubs ON the tablet not from Calibre

Sounds like your transfering your epubs to your tablet by way of Calibre [YOU SAID: The Calibre created epubs already on my Nook only had the Reader, Mantano and Overdrive options.] You can just copy and paste from Calibre Library folder to anywhere on your tablet or micro sd card (then have Moon Reader do import).

As far as your DRM book my guess is that Nook HD ereader won't open DRM that is it opens by Moon Reader (I wouldn't know about DRM all my epubs are self created documents or gutenberg books).
Hope this is helpful and understanable.https://www2.mobileread.com/i/smiliesadd1/chin_scratch.gif
forumshrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:45 AM   #11
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I've still got issues so given up with Moon+, I can easily navigate to the epubs on my SD card using Alidiko and Cool Reader, but I haven't a clue how to do it with Moon+.

My original note was incorrect, sorry. I emailed a DRM free ePub created by a publisher, not via Calibre, that gave me the option to open in Moon+ directly from the email, I don't want to keep doing that. I just want to open my epubs on my SDcard in Moon+ and that I can't seem to do, yet it's easy with the other apps.

Edited to say, I've actually figured it out. I found some instructions on google. Looking forward to playing with Moon+ now

Last edited by Josieb1; 06-25-2013 at 01:15 PM.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:44 AM   #12
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
I have Aldiko plus/pro and Moon Reader+ .....like em both for different readers...contemplating Montano and Cool Reader....but ..not sure yet..
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:28 AM   #13
cliq
Nameless Being

Can anyone tell if Moon+ Reader supports OneDrive instead of Dropbox as the cloud drive. I have my books on OneDrive due to the size of cloud space I have here.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:58 PM   #14
brouer
Enthusiast
brouer knows more than wikipediabrouer knows more than wikipediabrouer knows more than wikipediabrouer knows more than wikipediabrouer knows more than wikipediabrouer knows more than wikipediabrouer knows more than wikipediabrouer knows more than wikipediabrouer knows more than wikipediabrouer knows more than wikipediabrouer knows more than wikipedia

Device: Various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjluv View Post
Can anyone tell if Moon+ Reader supports OneDrive instead of Dropbox as the cloud drive. I have my books on OneDrive due to the size of cloud space I have here.
It doesn't. Dropbox and Google Drive only.
brouer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 03:36 AM   #15
cliq
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by brouer View Post
It doesn't. Dropbox and Google Drive only.
What a pity. What would make the developer support OneDrive?

Tags
calibre, drm, metadata, moon+ reader pro