Old 11-30-2010, 03:07 PM   #1
JeanC
Enthusiast
JeanC began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
connect to arbitrary server

Hello,

I just received a brand new 602.

I hope this forum will support this model officially too, it is not mentioned yet, only the 301, 302 and 360 models are.

My question, can I use the wifi to connect to my home network? I have apache running on one of the pc's.
JeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 03:20 PM   #2
speedtouch
eBook Newbie
speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Oh yes, this forum will definitely support posts on the 602. Any PocketBook device is supported in this forum. Yes, you can definitely connect your 602 to your home network.
speedtouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2010, 01:55 AM   #3
JeanC
Enthusiast

Connect to my homework by wifi? That would be great. How?
Old 12-01-2010, 06:23 AM   #4
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanC View Post
Connect to my homework by wifi? That would be great. How?
In post 5 in this thread there is a link to the 602 manual, which I put also
here for your convenience.
you will find instructions for setting up the connections on pages 37-38
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:02 AM   #5
JeanC
Enthusiast

Thank you.

But I already had the manual, and I also have configured and tested the wifi connection succesfully. But connecting to Bookland does not work, it asks for a key and I guess I have to register somewhere?

And anyway, what I'd like is to connect to my home network in stead of Bookland so I can copy things from my pc's.

Or is that only possible with bluetooth?

Last edited by JeanC; 12-01-2010 at 08:05 AM.
Advert
Old 12-01-2010, 10:23 AM   #6
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Thank you.

But I already had the manual, and I also have configured and tested the wifi connection succesfully. But connecting to Bookland does not work, it asks for a key and I guess I have to register somewhere?

And anyway, what I'd like is to connect to my home network in stead of Bookland so I can copy things from my pc's.

Or is that only possible with bluetooth?
Hi Jean,

bearing in mind that I am going on theory, as I am still waiting for my PB, I am pretty sure that in some thread that I cannot find it was confirmed that you can definitely connect to your own wi-fi.

Considering I am also technically rather illiterate , I hope somebody competent can come and help, but I would have thought that if you are sitting at home, in order to connect to bookland you must be using your own internet connection. So if you want to connect from a site that is not bookland, you should still be able to do so: from some other thread it is mentioned that PB readers use a webkit-based browser to connect to the internet, but I am afraid my knowledge does not go beyond what is in this old post, that was recently "revived". I guess and hope it is just a matter of finding where the browser is.

As for connection to Bookland, there is some other thread where this problem has been raised, and if I got it right the issue is one of firmware, at least if you read message 8 in this thread
It does refer to the IQ, but if I am not mistaken there is new firmware being released for all the new models.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 03:38 AM   #7
JeanC
Enthusiast

He paolamanzini, thank you for your answer. I looked at those threads but like you, I could not get much out of them.
I guess we will just have to wait for answers.
Good luck with your PB, I had to wait for mine too and then I was sent one with the wrong color.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:15 PM   #8
speedtouch
eBook Newbie
speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

I don't think the IQ comes with a network file browser. That's what you need to do what you're asking about.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:24 PM   #9
JeanC
Enthusiast

My question is about the 'pocketbook 602 pro'.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:24 PM   #10
Roos
Groupie
Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Scribe, Phone
At the subject of browsing, use the libris widget, it calls a different browser (and dear god did i wish i waited for the 903) where a mouse cursor can be moved and put on the http line that can be changed.. Is there a way to 'clear' a line? It is just to tedious to backspace one letter at a time When it is clear you can change it to whatever you like.
How do you create widgets for this machine? Can't be that hard to change the Libris one to something that calls like Gmail.com or other favourites..
Roos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 06:18 PM   #11
speedtouch
eBook Newbie

Quote:
My question is about the 'pocketbook 602 pro'.
Oh, I'm sorry!! I'm stuck in IQ-land out here. It's all I've been doing since getting it. Please forgive me. But still, the same applies to the 602. You'll need an network file system browser of some sort to view files hosted on a server on your network.
Old 12-03-2010, 02:52 AM   #12
JeanC
Enthusiast

Never mind.
So I need a network browser. I don't have my PB here at the moment but as far as I can recall there was nothing that looked like such a beast when I was looking at the apps on the 602, have to wait a while before I can check to be sure.
That gives the question, what is the modem for when 1) there's no network browser and 2) you can't connect to a shop.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:01 AM   #13
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
That gives the question, what is the modem for when 1) there's no network browser and 2) you can't connect to a shop.
The wireless exists to give you access to the Bookland ebookstore and to let you browse the web. It may or not be working right now for the 602/902 (it isn't for the IQ) but they intend to get it working asap.

It is also intended to let you access arbitrary web sites.
Theoretically, since you said your PC is running Apache, you can configure a web page on your PC listing your PCs export folder and then you could individually download the files to the reader.

However, to *copy* entire folders and batches from the reader requires a reader-side client for FTP, SMB, NFS, etc. There is a LINUX command-line shell console available for the Pocketbook readers but I don't know if it supports FTP over the wireless; the posts I have seen about it have only discussed moving files over the wired USB connection.

So I would suggest looking closer at the browser and setting up a private download site on your PC via the HTTP server in Apache or investigating what the command line console supports.

It's not hopeless.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 07:39 AM   #14
JeanC
Enthusiast

It feels like a whole bag of nice cookies just beyond reach.

As my PB is sent back because they sent me the wrong color, I can't check for the existance of a browser / linux console / ftp client on the 602. Anyone else who can check?

Edit, I just got my 602 back. There are no apps at all, only games.

Last edited by JeanC; 12-04-2010 at 11:25 AM.