Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-04-2010, 12:02 PM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Help me load up a memory card for my dad

We're getting my dad an ebook reader for father's day. We are going with the Libre because it does not need software to load books and he can download straight to folders. Also he has expressed reservations about the page flash on the e-ink screens. My stepmother is paying for the reader and my contribution will be to load up the memory card with as much good stuff as we can find.

He is not interested in reading 'modern' books (yet---he still has issues about giving up the smell of paper and other such newbie issues) but he is very interested in the idea of being able to carry around at all times a complete library of the classics he enjoyed as a boy. I asked for some specifics, and basically he stumbled upon some obscure boy's adventure story whose name I forget on Project Gutenberg some time ago and was so delighted to see that he could get this now out of print book for free that he read the whole thing on his computer screen. I asked him what authors he might enjoy and he said Dickens, Conan Doyle and Buchan. So far, here is what I am for sure downloading:

- The Harvard Classics complete set
- Everything by Conan Doyle, Dickens and Buchan since he mentioned those
- Perhaps all the H. Rider Haggard, I think this might be what he found himself
- Everything by Jules Verne
- The Best Short Stories series

What else? He has boxes and boxes in his garage he has never unpacked because he hasn't got the space, so he is very interested in the idea of as many books as he wants in a card that can fit in his hand. I want to get him books he'll enjoy, of course. But there is an element of wanting to wow him with sheer quantity as play here too
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 12:07 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
A few suggestions:

Edgar Rice Burroughs.
R. Austin Freeman's "Doctor Thorndyke" stories.
Sherlock Holmes
E.W. Hornung's "Raffles" books.
Edgar Wallace.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 12:38 PM   #3
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
A few more -
PG Wodehouse
GA Henty
Rafael Sabatini
Alexandre Dumas
Sir Walter Scott
Henryk Sienkiewicz
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 12:39 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sir Walter Scott? I find his books completely unreadable personally.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:48 PM   #5
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Great suggestions. I am thinking I should organize them into folders by author, depending on how many of each genre there are. This should be a fun project.

Also for reference, his favourite modern authors are people like Flannery O'Connor and Joyce Carol Oates. He also has mentioned William Faulkner.

Last edited by ficbot; 06-04-2010 at 12:50 PM.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 06:30 PM   #6
Trebro
Connoisseur
Trebro began at the beginning.

Device: nook
If you father likes the idea of people who are forced into situations beyond their control, then I would humbly suggest Joseph Conrad.

Also: He probably read some Mark Twain and Charles Dickens as a child, as well. I'd add some from both.

-Rob
Trebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 07:01 PM   #7
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
This thought is a little different.

He has access to a computer? If so put a couple of icons/URLs on his desktop.

Smashwords Free Books

Baen Free Library

Books For A Buck

Feedbooks

Sorry I forgot Mobileread's very own E-Book Uploads.

Just don't blame me if he's too busy to talk to you.

Last edited by SameOldStory; 06-05-2010 at 10:01 AM.
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 07:02 PM   #8
nomesque
Snooty Bestselling Author
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
Not free, from what I can see - but Hardy Boys? Biggles? Too juvenile, or a fun reminiscence? Or are the Hardy Boys not as old as I'm thinking they are?
nomesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 07:17 PM   #9
toomanybooks
Addict
toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, Ipod Touch, KIndle Fire
Anthony Trollope
Richard Harding Davis
toomanybooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 08:44 PM   #10
Trebro
Connoisseur
Trebro began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomesque View Post
Not free, from what I can see - but Hardy Boys? Biggles? Too juvenile, or a fun reminiscence? Or are the Hardy Boys not as old as I'm thinking they are?
the Hardy Boys are extremely old, actually. They just keep getting reprinted and revamped. They started in 1926, and have been ghost-written for decades to varying degrees of quality.

I think I wrote a paper in middle school on their history, if I remember right.

-Rob
Trebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 09:59 PM   #11
nomesque
Snooty Bestselling Author
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebro View Post
the Hardy Boys are extremely old, actually. They just keep getting reprinted and revamped. They started in 1926, and have been ghost-written for decades to varying degrees of quality.

I think I wrote a paper in middle school on their history, if I remember right.

-Rob
Thanks! Thought so.
nomesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:22 PM   #12
Poppa1956
Evangelist
Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Verizon Ellipsis Tablit w/Kindle and Nook apps.
The "Little Journeys" Series by Elbert Hubbard
Books by Mark Twain
Books by Bret Harte
Bulfinch's Mythologies
Some F. Scott Fitzgerald is PD in the US
The Poems of Paul Laurence Dunbar

If you haven't already done so, you might also take a p0eek at the 100 free books that come with the Kobo reader. They're all public domain, and readily available.
Poppa1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 12:12 AM   #13
FatDog
Witless protection Agent
FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
"Dracula" is very good.

How about this: "Three men and a Dog" (classic), and then Connie Willis "To Say Nothing of the Dog".

Try "The Aire Affair" by Jasper Fford - funny, but makes you want to read literature.

But toss in some Douglas Preston/Lincoln Child, or the original Jurassic Park.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 12:58 PM   #14
Vintage Season
Pulps and dime novels...
Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura/Kobo Aura One LE/iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
... he stumbled upon some obscure boy's adventure story whose name I forget on Project Gutenberg some time ago ...
If your father enjoys "boy's adventure" stories, get him Victor Appleton's original Tom Swift novels (feedbooks.com has them available in epub, mobi and pdf, all of which should be handled by the Libre).

I would also suggest browsing the Public Domain Categories page on feedbooks.com, to find any number of other titles, authors and series your father might remember and enjoy.

Oh yes... one more thing: Grab a copy of my first published short story for him, and tell him I said Happy Father's Day!

- M.
Vintage Season is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 12:59 PM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Season View Post
If your father enjoys "boy's adventure" stories, get him Victor Appleton's original Tom Swift novels (feedbooks.com has them available in epub, mobi and pdf, all of which should be handled by the Libre).
They are also, of course, available here at MR, in 5 "omnibus" volumes (5 books in each volume).