Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 02-19-2009, 08:47 PM   #1
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
The Phoenix Rising

Needs new title and major editing/revision but it's 99.89% complete..

Sam Reibert is the son of the Mayor of Lyton. Supporting character is a heroin addicted homeless psychic, who is almost like Yoda to Luke. Main antagonist is a priest who is looking for something similar to a fountain of youth and power.

It's been sitting on my HDD for the better part of three years, I can offer it up for free or donation as soon as I can clean it up. It's nothing major and is nowhere near my best work (took 6 years on/off to write during HS/College)

It's mostly nonsensical and silly, but it took me forever to write it and this was my first long form story so..
Attached Files
File Type: lrf The Phoenix Rising - David Kerschner.lrf (312.7 KB, 1011 views)
File Type: zip The Phoenix Rising David Kerschner.zip (123.4 KB, 1022 views)

Last edited by jaxx6166; 02-19-2009 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Upload file.
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:49 PM   #2
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Page 1:

The papers piled higher and higher. The day dragged on in a constant monotony. It was nearing five when a knock sounded against his door. It rang out eerily, ominously in the stillness of the office and the permeating silence. Graham shuffled some papers to the side before calling out. He expected his assistant, Raul, to enter the door, but instead he was greeted by two uniformed Police Officers.

“Mr. Lazario?” The younger officer asked solemnly, his eyes never leaving the ground.

“Yes? What can I help you gentlemen with?”

“Do you know of a man named” He paused, “Christian?”

“I have a brother named Christian, why?”

“Sir, can you come with us?” The younger officer said, his voice growing in confidence.

“Why? What’s wrong?” Graham looked up suddenly, averting his eyes from the countless story ideas littering his desk.

“Sir, please. It’s important you cooperate with us, we will explain everything.”

Stern eyes pierced Graham, and then suddenly all at once they softened.

Graham weakened, his eyes becoming misty, “What happened to my brother?”

“We need you to identify…a body.” The younger officer’s voice cracked.

He stood up then, news articles flying left and right, he wobbled over towards the officers. They walked out of the building and entered a waiting police cruiser.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:11 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Nicely written, but your punctuation needs some work. Take that last paragraph:

Quote:
He stood up then, news articles flying left and right, he wobbled over towards the officers.
It's definitely wrong to have two commas in there; I'd suggest either making the first one a semi-colon or an dash, or changing the second one to a full stop.

ie, either:

Quote:
He stood up then; news articles flying left and right, he wobbled over towards the officers.
or

Quote:
He stood up then, news articles flying left and right. He wobbled over towards the officers.
These two alternatives have quite different meanings, of course. You need to decide which one you prefer!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 06:58 AM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Yes, what Harry is talking about is called a run-on sentence. It's very easy to fix: Just insert "as" before the word "he." [...as he stood up....]

Getting to the content/atmosphere/suspense:

I like your opening and the sense of aloneness and mystery that you portray. Your opening hooked me in about one page of reading.

Thank you!

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 07:02 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Yes, what Harry is talking about is called a run-on sentence. It's very easy to fix: Just insert "as" before the word "he." [...as he stood up....]
Yes, that's a lot better than either of my two suggestions - thanks!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 10:05 PM   #6
jaxx6166
Wizard

Haha. I know. It needs work =)

I'm thinking about taking it and doing a Warbreaker.

For those not familiar, it's what Brandon Sanderson(Mistborn/WoT) did with one of his novels prior to publication. He put it out to the public and edited/fixed things as they came up. Versions 1 through 93294294294324 existed.

I'm glad you guys are reading the excerpt. I'll try to edit as I go along.

Thanks again!