Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

View Poll Results: What's the next target format calibre should support?
Mobipocket -- it's the most popular. 65 70.65%
eReader -- there are many tools for Mobipocket already. 16 17.39%
Something else -- I'll let you know what in a comment. 11 11.96%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-18-2008, 08:11 PM   #1
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Next format for calibre to generate?

I'm feeling on a bit of format-generation spree at the moment. Now that calibre has LIT-generation support, which format should I add next? No promises on a timeline, though .
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 08:14 PM   #2
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I really should learn to "preview" before posting. Is there any way for me to correct that typo in poll option #1?

Edited: Awesome! Thank you, mysterious anonymous moderator .
Old 12-18-2008, 08:15 PM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by llasram View Post
I really should learn to "preview" before posting. Is there any way for me to correct that typo in poll option #1?
fixed.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 09:32 PM   #4
Andurian
You really should try it!
Andurian doesn't litterAndurian doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500
I vote for .txt and .rtf output.
Andurian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 09:35 PM   #5
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
I voted for MOBI. But support for IMP would also be great.
=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 02:40 AM   #6
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I wouldbe happy to have .imp as an input format, let alone an output format
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 08:26 AM   #7
Format C:
Guru
Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad + PRS-505 + Kindle 3
With MOBI output, I can try to implement iLiad support...

;-)
Format C: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 09:10 AM   #8
mdibella
Groupie
mdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheese

Device: Infinite Kindles, Occasional Sony's
Oh wow, please do Mobi!!

I have both a Sony 505 and a Kindle. It would be so wonderful to need just one software package to manage the libraries for both of them.

I've already donated once but I'd send more bucks for that one!
mdibella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 09:17 AM   #9
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
I voted for MOBI. But support for IMP would also be great.
=X=
Ditto!

MOBI ebooks can easily be converted to .imp, but a direct .imp output would be welcomed. I think Kovidgoyal and ashkulz had something in mind a while ago using something akin to 'impbuild'. I have since gotten .imp generation to work under linux via ActiveState Perl and the OLE/COM interface and I believe that .imp generation is also possible under MacOS X.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
I would be happy to have .imp as an input format, let alone an output format
It's coming, see here, and I re-quote the original poster's goal:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mscott161
I am working on a GUI front end so you can select a single file or folder and the program will de-imp the files to text and hopefully with some help to the file format of lrf (Sony)
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 09:27 AM   #10
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I voted for MobiPocket because MobiPocket needs some competition in ePub to MOBI conversion. This does not seem to be a priority for MobiPocket, which in any case has very long periods between new software releases. I am particularly looking for ePub TOC conversion to MOBI TOC. Getting a cover image may also require rendering the 1st page of the ePub into a fixed image size. Both of these issues already exist for ePub to LIT by the way.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 09:48 AM   #11
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
I am particularly looking for ePub TOC conversion to MOBI TOC.
By "MOBI TOC" do you mean mean some sort of metadata Mobipocket viewers use to present a TOC separate from the book content, or do you mean an in-line, in-content TOC?

Quote:
Getting a cover image may also require rendering the 1st page of the ePub into a fixed image size.
Oi. I was planning to do SVG rasterization, but not full-markup-rasterization. However, now that you mention it, calibre does already include WebKit...
Old 12-19-2008, 10:10 AM   #12
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
By "MOBI TOC" do you mean mean some sort of metadata Mobipocket viewers use to present a TOC separate from the book content, or do you mean an in-line, in-content TOC?
I mean convert toc.ncx into something that the toc guide item can use. See Defining guide items for pre-defined items (other.ms-coverimage is the cover, for example), this is from the Creator documentation, so it is documenting the .opf file that eventually gets translated to the MOBI. The TOC guide item can point to a in-line, in-content TOC - but in "modern" MOBIs it is typically not in-lined in the reading stream but only accessible via the "Go to" menu item. If it isn't in-lined, it is typically put at the end of the content stream of the actual ebook by the MOBI builder program. Note that native ePubs typically won't have in-content TOCs, so if the toc.ncx isn't converted there wil be no TOC at all.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 11:08 AM   #13
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
The TOC guide item can point to a in-line, in-content TOC - but in "modern" MOBIs it is typically not in-lined in the reading stream but only accessible via the "Go to" menu item.
Ah! Ok -- an *out*-of-line, *in*-content TOC, got it. You know, I hadn't considered that -- I was worried about generating an in-content TOC in case one was already present and ending up with two TOC's, but if there's no /guide/reference[@type="toc"] it should be perfectly "safe" to add a /spine/itemref with @linear="no". Cool.
Old 12-19-2008, 02:12 PM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:

Oi. I was planning to do SVG rasterization, but not full-markup-rasterization. However, now that you mention it, calibre does already include WebKit...
calibre already does cover extraction via full rasterization of EPUBs (see epub-meta) or just add an EPUB to the GUI
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 10:50 PM   #15
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
I Would be happy with either Mobi or eReader. I could use both.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote