Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-26-2013, 03:01 PM   #1
antithesis
Avid reader
antithesis is no e-book dilettante.antithesis is no e-book dilettante.antithesis is no e-book dilettante.antithesis is no e-book dilettante.antithesis is no e-book dilettante.antithesis is no e-book dilettante.antithesis is no e-book dilettante.antithesis is no e-book dilettante.antithesis is no e-book dilettante.antithesis is no e-book dilettante.antithesis is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Kindle DX White
Self-lit device without touch screen

Here's my issue with touch screens. While it does sound attractive, I need to point to the text while I'm reading without flipping pages. The only way I could live with a touch screen, is if I could toggle the touch screen, but that probably doesn't exist.

However, I do want a self-lit device. Are there any ones without a touch screen? Are they in the making?

Thanks in advance.
antithesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:12 PM   #2
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
The Odyssey Frontlight HD has turn buttons in addition to a touch screen. Maybe the touch screen can be turned off. I don't know if you can find this detail in the Bookeen section of the forum
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:47 PM   #3
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by antithesis View Post
I need to point to the text while I'm reading without flipping pages.
do you mean point or "touch"?
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:28 PM   #4
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Do you need to point with a bare finger? If you choose one with a capacitative touch screen (Kindle Paperwhite is one), you could point with anything non-capacitative (or with a finger covered with fabric/knit).
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:01 AM   #5
antithesis
Avid reader
antithesis is no e-book dilettante.antithesis is no e-book dilettante.antithesis is no e-book dilettante.antithesis is no e-book dilettante.antithesis is no e-book dilettante.antithesis is no e-book dilettante.antithesis is no e-book dilettante.antithesis is no e-book dilettante.antithesis is no e-book dilettante.antithesis is no e-book dilettante.antithesis is no e-book dilettante.

I need to actually touch the screen. I also want to do this with my bare fingers, as I find physical workarounds a bit absurd. This seems more like the software's task to me.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:03 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
There are no front lit Readers without a touch screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:35 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by antithesis View Post
I need to actually touch the screen. I also want to do this with my bare fingers, as I find physical workarounds a bit absurd. This seems more like the software's task to me.
Can you explain what you mean when you say that you need to touch the screen? Why do you need to touch it?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:50 PM   #8
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Can you explain what you mean when you say that you need to touch the screen? Why do you need to touch it?
I would assume that for whatever reason (and there are a number of really good ones) the OP needs to use their finger to follow the words on the page in order to be able to read the text. They likely do the same with paper books.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:50 AM   #9
guitarizt
Connoisseur
guitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-T1; PW1; H2O
You could try to buy a broken nook off someone. There's some reviews saying the touchscreen broke.
guitarizt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:58 AM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
If you hold down for a second then you will end up highlighting instead of page turning, I suppose. Just wear gloves, I guess, and use the Paperwhite with it's capacitive touch.

Without touch, though, it's rather difficult to maneuver around a touchscreen device.... so I'm not sure how a broken touchscreen helps, or turning off the touch. And I'll have to go with JSWolf on this -- As far as I know, no non-touch devices have a lit screen.

If you need a non-touch screen, you may just have to go with a book light. Many eReaders have cases with built-in lights.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:52 AM   #11
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
The Paperwhite is a good idea but once again the Odyssey HD (by Cybook) has a capacitive screen, a front light and buttons. Also it has folder management, but the OP didn't ask for that.

Last edited by samhy; 05-09-2013 at 06:14 AM. Reason: typo
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:02 AM   #12
ClareK
Connoisseur
ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Laser
Relatively cheap ereaders, such as the Migear and the Laser EB850, have a back-lit screen, and are not touch screen.
ClareK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:47 PM   #13
mls66
mls66 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony reader
I found this one, front-lit, no touch, but e-ink: Gmini magic book C6LHD.
http://www.nomobile.ru/reviews/196353.html
I don't know the brand, but the device seems to conform to your requirements.
Maaike
mls66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:02 PM   #14
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Try this (in reference to the above post):

http://g-mini.com/products/45

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 02:25 PM   #15
antithesis
Avid reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
I would assume that for whatever reason (and there are a number of really good ones) the OP needs to use their finger to follow the words on the page in order to be able to read the text. They likely do the same with paper books.
I'm glad this gets recognized. This is exactly what I mean. I suppose I could've been clearer in the OP.

Good advice in here, especially the Gmini Magicbook. However, I couldn't find any place to buy it. It's very disappointing how few e-readers are available in the Netherlands. I even had trouble finding some Ectaco products.

I realized that a device with a style like the Icarus Excel / Onyx M92 or the Pocketbook Pro 912 could also work, since I can just use my finger without triggering anything (right?). However, touch screens with styluses tend to be frustrating.

I've decided to just stay away from the pain and go with a Kindle DX White (I got one for 100 euros). I'm ordering an external LED reading light separately. Thanks for the help.