Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-02-2010, 05:24 PM   #1
nebcanuck
Kobo user
nebcanuck began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Lines discoloured on Kobo

For the sake of full disclosure, I will say that I have dropped my Kobo e-reader once on a tile floor. At that time, the casing came open slightly but clicked shut very easily. There did not seem to be any damage at the time.

A while later, a few lines appeared along the entire length of the right edge of my screen that seem to be reversed. They show up as grey/black when they should be white, and then flip to white when the page turns or any other wiping takes place. The position of the lines seems to shift slightly over time, and the number varies between two and six, but they don't move far, and they don't ever disappear entirely.

The lines do not interfere with any of the text in my books. They do interfere some with a zoomed-in pdf, or sometimes the cover of the book.

Since then I have done the firmware upgrade. The lines were there before, and the upgrade did not affect their presence. Hitting the reset button does not affect them either.

It is certainly not the end of the world, but they are midly distracting, and I was wondering if there was a way to get the screen to wipe fully and reset polarity or whatever is required of e-ink.

Thanks
nebcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 05:28 PM   #2
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Ouch. If you still have your receipt, I'd suggest a return and replacement at Indigo. Negligence is throwing it against the wall; accidents are dropping it on the floor. There is a one year warranty. Under the circumstances, I'd invoke the warranty, personally.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 07:29 PM   #3
nebcanuck
Kobo user

Okay. I definitely retained all of my receipts and stuff. I purchased it online; is it something that any Chapters will honour, or will I have to deal with online customer service if I want to use the warranty?

I have searched all over the internet and cannot find anyone claiming to have similar issue, really. I've seen some pretty busted-looking screens, but never anyone saying that one or two lines are reversed. I was kind of hoping it would just resolve itself, but it's been a few weeks so I don't want to count on it.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:46 PM   #4
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
To me (without seeing pictures) it sounds like a faulty display controller (given they are perfect straight lines running the entire length of the screen). If they have a little curve that could be a broken substrate (which I believe is not a warranty repair).

When going into the store I would avoid telling them you dropped it. Thats me, as much as an honest man that I am I tend to 'forget' stuff like that.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:15 PM   #5
nebcanuck
Kobo user

lol, that's fine. If they ask if I've ever dropped it I'll probably be honest with them, but as I said the issue didn't actually occur when it was dropped; it was at least a week before the lines appeared at all.

There is definitely no curve to them at all. As I said, they move some, but they never bend.

Here are some pictures of the Kobo. As you can see from the first, the lines aren't particularly visible at a distance when the screen is plain. That's because the black is literally one pixel wide (or whatever the e-ink term is). If you look close, you can see them there about half an inch from the right edge of the screen. In the second picture, you can see that the higher-contrast white-on-black of the second picture makes it stand out pretty obviously. Any further thoughts? Do those look like a problem screen? As you can see they're pretty straight, though they seem to vary in intensity at different points.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:22 PM   #6
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Looks like a faulty controller to me (from all the pics I have seen). Happens with ereaders.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:31 PM   #7
nebcanuck
Kobo user

Okay. Thanks for the feedback. Glad to know that it wasn't likely the product of abuse.

I'll take it into Chapters when I get home in 2 weeks. I don't think anyone said -- can I just take it into any Chapters? And, on the same line of thought, is this the kind of thing they tend to replace or repair? Should I be prepared for a few weeks without my Kobo?
Old 08-02-2010, 08:41 PM   #8
leighisme
Connoisseur
leighisme began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, iPhone 4, iPad2
If they have one in stock, they should just exchange it for you. Chapters has been great that way.
leighisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:45 PM   #9
nebcanuck
Kobo user

Great! Thanks so much for the quick responses, everyone. This forum is always helpful and courteous!
Old 08-02-2010, 08:51 PM   #10
Solicitous
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebcanuck View Post
Great! Thanks so much for the quick responses, everyone. This forum is always helpful and courteous!
Oh, we haven't sent you the invoice for our services yet *kidding*
Old 08-04-2010, 11:38 PM   #11
Gedvondur
Gedvondur is a splendid one to beholdGedvondur is a splendid one to beholdGedvondur is a splendid one to beholdGedvondur is a splendid one to beholdGedvondur is a splendid one to beholdGedvondur is a splendid one to beholdGedvondur is a splendid one to beholdGedvondur is a splendid one to beholdGedvondur is a splendid one to beholdGedvondur is a splendid one to beholdGedvondur is a splendid one to behold

A quick FYI.. I bought my Kobo at WalMart in Aurora Ontario, (before I knew the Chapters had them). And when I got it home, I noticed the seal on the box had been opened, the books had been read! They were in the 'I'm Reading' section. This was NOT a new Kobo!
SO, the next day I took it back to their customer service desk, got an exchange and all is well. Be aware that WalMart at the time was advertising, "4 Free Ebooks" with the Kobo purchase. But nowhere online was any reference to this, and an email to their... um... Customer Support was ignored. Meh I think they were some romaonce novels, no big loss..
Keep your receipt! Is what I learned!
Gedvondur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 01:57 PM   #12
dc52
dc52 began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO
Hi

How did you get the screen to show with white letters over a dark background. Is there a way to toggle between the White Background and the Dark background. I have asked the question elsewhere and no one seems to know.

Thanks

D.
dc52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:08 PM   #13
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Looks like the shot was taken as the page was being advanced. All e-ink ereaders flash negative whilst changing pages.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
discoloured, kobo, screen wipe