Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-19-2007, 09:49 AM   #91
UncleDuke
books & doughnuts
UncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five words

Device: sony reader, kindle2
on 4 for a long time then straight away dropped to 1 and a minute later said low battery.
UncleDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 01:45 PM   #92
grimo1re
Geekette
grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony Reader PRS500, PocketBook 360
Yep, worked for me too: the other night the battery went funny again and I did the plug-in-reader-to-wallcharger-while on-trick and it worked a treat!
grimo1re is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2007, 04:47 PM   #93
RSaunders
Groupie
RSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500
Wow, this is interesting.

I usually charge my reader with the cradle, which has the plug-in-charger to power it. The white light in the cradle goes out when it is "full". Sure enough, it usually shows 4 bars. It usually only does a couple hundred pages before it goes to 3/4. Today I've had it plugged directly into the plug-in-charger for over 2 hours, and it still shows the lightning bolt. I have to reach over and change pages every so often to keep the display on. Does the lightning bolt go out when it is really full??
RSaunders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 05:02 PM   #94
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500 /prs 650 soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSaunders
Wow, this is interesting.

I usually charge my reader with the cradle, which has the plug-in-charger to power it. The white light in the cradle goes out when it is "full". Sure enough, it usually shows 4 bars. It usually only does a couple hundred pages before it goes to 3/4.
I charged mine last week and I noticed that today it went 3/4's..... that equalled about 510 page turns........
Aprilbeginnings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 06:37 PM   #95
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
No, the lightning bolt does not go out when it is fully charged, just the little red light does. For the record, two Readers in my house here, pre-update charged normally, post-update both have this problem with the meter not updating.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2007, 09:14 AM   #96
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aprilbeginnings
I charged mine last week and I noticed that today it went 3/4's..... that equalled about 510 page turns........
While I read your comment it occurred to me that having bad eyesight makes me waste more power than a young'n. That's eink discriminating against us!!!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 02:55 AM   #97
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
Well, yesterday the battery was completely drained, even though I supposedly charged it fully last week and hadn't used the Reader since. (It wouldn't even turn on.) So I charged it again and now the battery stays at four bars, even after several hours of reading. Seems I had to suffer some pain in order to find "healing". *knock wood*
Laurens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 09:48 PM   #98
LaughingVulcan
Technophile
LaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-650 Sony, Nook Simpletouch, more legacy gear than I can remember
I know I'm not getting several thousand page turns off a charge. The first thing I did, out of the box, was first upgrade Connect and second upgrade the Reader. So I don't have a baseline for comparison. Best guess I'm getting about 2,000 turns off a charge. (Maybe 2,500 including every time I go upmenu, select different menu options, etc... I'm assuming every time the display changes is considered a 'page turn' for battery life purposes.)
LaughingVulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 04:38 AM   #99
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
That would be correct, since the reader's battery can't really know if it's actually turning a page in a book file or displaying a different menu.

I had the firmware update as well as the latest Connect software already loaded on my computer, so it updated the Reader's firmware as soon as I connected it to the computer and ran Connect, so I don't have any baseline for comparison either.

But on the other hand, my Reader hasn't shown any battery-indicator weirdness either. :-)
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 07:38 AM   #100
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Quite possibly it's the update process itself (i.e. the change from the old to the new firmware) that may be the cause of the problems. Anyway, still no problems after two days of use, so it looks like everything is back to normal for me.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:35 PM   #101
Laurens
Jah Blessed

Unfortunately the battery problems resurfaced after a few days of non-use. Bring on the bug fix already!
Old 04-09-2007, 08:32 PM   #102
Plowman
Plowman began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
Yeah, I'm beginning to wonder if the battery indicator will ever change now. After I upgraded firmware I charged the unit until the light went out (overnight). The next morning the battery was still half way up/down. I've read 7 books (Simon Green's Nightside, and the first Tanya Huff/Victory Nelson) and the battery indicator hasn't budged.

I'm about to leave on a week vacation and am charging it up before I go. Here is hoping all goes well.

Last edited by Plowman; 04-09-2007 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Spelling
Plowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 08:56 PM   #103
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
After fully charging for a whole night by using the 'reader on' trick, I did an approximate page count. When the triangle showed up the reader had turned around 3,400 pages. It is an approximate figure because with some pages I needed to backtrack so as to properly comprehend what I was reading. Anyway it is a far cry from the advertised 7,500.

Something particular also showed up. After 10 hours on, the reader's background became much darker a shade of gray than usual, thereby reducing contrast much further. Has anybody noticed?
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 02:47 AM   #104
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowman
Yeah, I'm beginning to wonder if the battery indicator will ever change now. After I upgraded firmware I charged the unit until the light went out (overnight). The next morning the battery was still half way up/down. I've read 7 books (Simon Green's Nightside, and the first Tanya Huff/Victory Nelson) and the battery indicator hasn't budged.
Once you've finished charging your Reader in the normal way, as you have done, all you have to do is this:

1. Plug the wall charger into the mains power socket but DON'T plug it into the Reader.

2. Switch the Reader on.

3. Plug the charger into the Reader for a couple of seconds.

Your battery meter will immediately jump to "4 bars" and all will be well.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 08:28 AM   #105
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500 /prs 650 soon
Even charging it via the wall, you have to remove the plug and then plug it in again to set that meter. I don't think this problem will ever be corrected either. IMO
Aprilbeginnings is offline   Reply With Quote