Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 07-21-2010, 02:30 AM   #1
larkahn
larkahn began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3/Galaxy A31 phone/Galaxy Tab S6 Lite tablet
Netbook is underpowered for the Nook

Nook support has confirmed my experience that my Toshiba Netbook is underpowered (electric current-wise, not CPU wise) for the Nook. It takes the computer a long time to detect the Nook. If I try to navigate through Windows Explorer, it also takes a lot time or Explorer hangs. Calibre software doesn't even detect that a Nook is connected. When using Adobe Digital Edition, it does detect the Nook, but takes awhile to do so. Also, when dragging a book into the Nook with Deital Edition, it takes a lot time to activate and copy or the program hangs.

I'm looking into a Y-connector in which the micro USB goes into the Nook, while 2 USB connectors would go into the computer to boost the power. Since I'll be overseas, I do not want to consider an externally powered USB hub.

I have a low end Compaq notebook with an AMD processor, and have had none of the above-mentioned issues.
larkahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 02:33 PM   #2
beartard
Minister of Linux
beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: nook, T-Mobile MyTouch 3G Slide
Check your netbook's specs. Many USB ports don't send out the milliamperes necessary to power devices. And that spec'd power is usually per bus, not per port. So your idea might not help you at all unless there are several USB adapters on your netbook's motherboard.
beartard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2010, 09:47 PM   #3
sashusmom
Enthusiast
sashusmom once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sashusmom once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sashusmom once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sashusmom once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sashusmom once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sashusmom once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sashusmom once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sashusmom once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sashusmom once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sashusmom once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sashusmom once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iphone 3gs-(JB), asus 1000h, e-ink nook, libre pro, Wht PDN, Huawei s7
Wink I have no problems with my netbook

I have an ASUS netbook and have no problems running the nook on it.
sashusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 01:05 AM   #4
larkahn
larkahn began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3/Galaxy A31 phone/Galaxy Tab S6 Lite tablet
A USB hub or Y connector did not help. Since I began to have trouble with slower access of some other USB devices, I suspected an OS problem. I did a system recovery on the Toshiba netbook and now there are no problems. I probably loaded in too many apps and something caused a conflict somewhere. Problem solved. I can access the Nook directory easily, Calibre detects it, as does Adobe Digital Edition.
larkahn is offline   Reply With Quote