Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-01-2006, 04:44 PM   #31
Michele
Addict
Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Doin' the Happy Dance!!

I went to Kinko's (thanks, NatCh) and used their fax to order the Reader from a Sony Styles store. The especially cool thing is that they don't charge for FedEx shipping because the item is out of stock on the website. So it's going to cost me less this way. Now all I have to do is cancel my web order Monday.

I can't believe how lucky I am.

Last edited by Michele; 10-01-2006 at 10:03 PM.
Michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 05:24 PM   #32
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Good, good...the more people cancel online the sooner I will get mine.

Mwuahahahahahah

Last edited by diabloNL; 10-01-2006 at 05:27 PM.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2006, 06:59 PM   #33
Xtremegene
Connoisseur
Xtremegene began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500 --- Nokia n800
For Houstonians, the Sony Style store in the Galleria shopping center had the Readers in stock. At least, they did when I went by there 3 hours ago.

They said that they had 11 in stock though apparently 13 people had called in and said that they wanted to reserve one. When I called shortly before visiting the store, the salesperson said they only had them on display (3, it turns out). After I went in though and am pretty sure I said that I had not reserved one, a salesperson brought out another salesperson (manager?) who then sold me the Reader.

I also got the $45, 2-year Accidental Damage from Handling (ADH) plan along with the Reader. Time to play now...
Xtremegene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 07:34 PM   #34
Greg G
Groupie
Greg G is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Papwerwhite
I called my local Sony Style Store (Menlo Park Mall in NJ) and they had one for display but none to sell. They have no idea when they will receive stock. At leat they know what the reader is.

Borders had better do some serious employee education since it seems that pretty much anyone that has reported talking to them found the sales person had no clue that the reader even existed.
Greg G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 10:02 PM   #35
WilliamG
Addict
WilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

That sounds right. I called every Borders in Minneapolis/St. Paul and not a single one had even heard of the thing.
WilliamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2006, 01:08 PM   #36
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
New Toy over at Sony Style!

They've added a Dealer Locator tool to the Sony Style page ... looks like there are six current/future retail locations within 34 miles of me!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 01:31 PM   #37
tmastern
tmastern began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
The Sony Style store at the Kenwood Mall in Cincinnati had a couple in stock also.
One less now .
tmastern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 02:00 PM   #38
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Come on people, cancel those orders online and get it in a real shop. I have a feeling my shipping estimate will go down very soon.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 02:44 PM   #39
WilliamG
Addict
WilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

I called my local Borders once again (I'm sure they're tired of me calling by now), and once again they tell me it's on order but they've no idea when it'll be in stock.

Just for kicks, I called a Sony store in some random state, and they have several in stock but can't ship to me!
WilliamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 02:59 PM   #40
tekchic
Zealot
tekchic doesn't littertekchic doesn't litter

Device: iPhone X, iPad Pro
Here's my update:

I called four Borders in Phoenix and Scottsdale this morning. Surprisingly, three of the four stores had indeed heard of the Sony Reader.

Store 1: "This month coming in, no preorder, it's not in our system."
Store 2: "Never heard of it"
Store 3: Took my first name and phone number, will call when in stock
Store 4: Actually took full name, address, and phone number, and let me place an order for hold -- this means they'll call me when it's available and I can go pick it up. He mentioned he thought a week to ten days, but they're getting shipments today and tomorrow (of books, and maybe there will be some Sony Readers on the truck, not sure).

Otherwise, my Sony online order is set for 11/02/2006, and unfortunately, one of the few weekends this year I'll be out of town! *arrrrgh*

I'll keep everyone posted for the Phoenix search. I'm planning to call every Borders in Arizona (not the Waldenbooks ones though).
tekchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 06:56 PM   #41
bingle
Addict
bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader
Another source for those in the Bay Area: As of today, the Palo Alto Sony Style store had 2 units in stock. The guy said they got 10 on Saturday, and had 2 left at the beginning of today (Monday). So sounds like demand is fairly high...

Of course, Palo Alto seems like the perfect place for ebook devices to flourish.
bingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 12:50 AM   #42
geekraver
Addict
geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini,Kindle Paperwhite
I will have 12 more units coming on Wednesday that I can ship out Friday (possibly Thursday); see my thread in the flea market section of the forums if interested.
geekraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 01:51 AM   #43
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
How much does Sony reader cost?

Hi guys.

I am thinking about asking some friends that are visiting USA to buy Reader for me.

How much does it actually cost in the Brick-and-Mortar Store?
I mean the final price. Including tax and other expenses.

Thank you.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 04:23 AM   #44
bugsbunny14
Connoisseur
bugsbunny14 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir
Hi guys.

I am thinking about asking some friends that are visiting USA to buy Reader for me.

How much does it actually cost in the Brick-and-Mortar Store?
I mean the final price. Including tax and other expenses.

Thank you.
about $ 380 inc tax .
bugsbunny14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 09:17 AM   #45
m42
Enthusiast
m42 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle fire and paperwhite, Ipad mini and Retina, Note 2, Nook tab,HD
Bought mine in sonystyle nyc. Salesman told me that they had 17 left. No accessories are available. Its beautiful. I love it. Case is kinda cheap though.
m42 is offline   Reply With Quote