Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 06-14-2011, 11:59 PM   #16
lindsayw
Author from pBook days
lindsayw is clearly one to watchlindsayw is clearly one to watchlindsayw is clearly one to watchlindsayw is clearly one to watchlindsayw is clearly one to watchlindsayw is clearly one to watchlindsayw is clearly one to watchlindsayw is clearly one to watchlindsayw is clearly one to watchlindsayw is clearly one to watchlindsayw is clearly one to watch

Device: Kindle-3-Keyboard; 8" Android Tablet
My 2 cents-worth: Timeline is the most critical, don't mess with that. I aim at a chapter length of about 6k words for a p-book but only about 3-4k words for an e-book, because most users typically use a font size larger than printed matter so have more page-turns, and page-turns are what subconsciously register as "length". You'll never achieve your "target" chapter length but that really doesn't matter – it's just an ideal, easy chunk of text to read with a logical start and end point. Long chapters tend to be a bit daunting for most users, none of us like to put a book down before we get to a break point.
Changing POV and re-telling a story with a different perspective should usually be part of the same chapter.

Last edited by lindsayw; 06-15-2011 at 01:21 AM.
lindsayw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 05:35 PM   #17
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Responding primarily as a reader, I agree with a lot of what's been said. Poor chapter break placement can really break up the flow of an otherwise good book. I don't mind short chapters (although they used to bug me), I don't mind long chapters. What I do mind is when a chapter break occurs for no apparent reason. I agree with thinking of it like a play, and you make you breaks based on scenes, or even where a commercial break would be in a TV show (maybe the same scene, but there's been a cliffhanger or a new piece of information presented).

Another thing that can be very frustrating about chapter breaks is when they always occur after the same type of chapter ending. I read a book once that was pretty entertaining, but the chapter breaks always came after a (manufactured) mini cliffhanger. That gets old really fast, especially when there are some 25 chapters. Most of those cliffhangers really made no sense.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2011, 09:56 PM   #18
Todd Young
Addict
Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
I've read writers that have varying chapter lengths -- anything from a page or two to fifteen or twenty pages in the same book. I don't think it matters that much. It doesn't matter to me when I'm reading, though I think I have been guilty of breaking scenes up just to get the right length. I'm trying not to worry about it so much with the book I'm writing at the moment.
Todd Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:05 AM   #19
jrlewis
SF/F Author
jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Adobe Digital Editions
On average, my chapters are 3,000 words. This works for me to set the scene, describe the characters and action, deliver a solid plot point, and move on. This helps me keep the pace consistent throughout the book to avoid saggy middles and rushed endings.
jrlewis is offline   Reply With Quote