Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-03-2011, 09:59 PM   #16
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
ooh, this is interesting. i can't get a credit card yet as i have no ITR (not working full-time yet), but i have a paypal account. still, it's being resold for $5 more hmm...(well yeah, it is a business after all)
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:14 PM   #17
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
But some sites require you to have a credit card on file even if you have a gift card that covers the whole transaction. Amazon doesn't have this requirement?

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2011, 10:44 PM   #18
mattsholtz
mattsholtz has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
But some sites require you to have a credit card on file even if you have a gift card that covers the whole transaction. Amazon doesn't have this requirement?

eP
No, Amazon does not have this requirement. So if you lived in Australia and wanted to buy an American eBook only available on the US Amazon store you would be able to by purchasing a gift card from my site, and then go shopping on the US store. No credit card on file needed.

Last edited by mattsholtz; 03-04-2011 at 11:02 AM.
mattsholtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:21 AM   #19
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
oh, then that's a pretty smart little business you got going on there!

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 02:15 PM   #20
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm obviously missing something here. Why would I want to use PayPal rather than my usual credit card?
You're a risk taker who likes life on the edge?
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2011, 03:42 PM   #21
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

as someone who runs in excess of $100k through Paypal annually and never had a single issue since day one, I chuckle at all this "the sky is falling" tinfoil-hat misinformation about Paypal. They have rules you need to follow, same as any other financial institution.

But all one needs to do is read a any message board online to understand what the folks at Paypal as well as Amazon or any other online vendor have to deal with in terms of nut-bars.

I earn an uncapped 1.5% cash for back for all my purchases using my PP credit/debit card which pretty much zero's out the cost of accepting payments via PP, in fact I add funds purposely to get the extra cash back every month. It's higher interest than a bank these days. For me PP is far better and cheaper than a merchant account and the hundreds of dollars it can cost every month just to have the account not including the discount fees.

Additionally using Paypal is far safer for the buyer than a credit card in terms of protecting your card numbers, checking account number or whatever. Of course these days some banks and credit card companies will generate single user CC numbers for you to use for online transactions. That might be the best of all options. Of course PP did screw that option up big time. It's not like they walk on water, the do screw up like any other company, even banks.
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:05 AM   #22
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
My Paypal debit card expired last month and I like several others are getting a run around on getting it renewed and sent out. After being with PayPal since 1999 for first time I no longer have my card which means I no longer have a credit card to use at Amazon or Kobo. Paypal has decided it could care less rather I get my card or not.

I have been using PayPal for years and never had one problem till now. This sites looks really good. Right now I have purchased a Prepaid Debit Card and using that instead with my Kindle.

I still use PayPal for other sites but other then Fictionwise and B.O.B no other ebook store takes them that I know of so this Gift Card site is a nice find.

Last edited by Blossom; 03-06-2011 at 01:09 AM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:46 AM   #23
mattsholtz

Thanks Blossom. I am thinking of adding Itunes and Sony cards, for an even bigger selection of eBook stores to choose from.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:05 AM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
In the UK, PayPal operates under the auspices of the Financial Services Authority, and is subject to the same rules as any other bank, meaning that your money (up to £35,000) is protected.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:41 PM   #25
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
I gave you some karma, Matt. The site is of no use to me since I live in the states and have no issues buying straight from Amazon with my credit card; however, I think the site is clever and very useful for the right crowd. Given how often I see people from other parts of the world on these forums asking for ways to buy U.S. Kindle books (many people seem to get U.S. credit cards simply for this purpose), I think your $5 markup may be worth the convenience you bring to people wanting to buy foreign ebooks.

I do have a couple recommendations, though. Can you add gift cards greater than $25? I understand you probably want to make money off those $5 charges, but people who are looking to buy several U.S. ebooks might be discouraged if they can only purchase a single $25 gift card at a time. If they buy two ebooks at, say, $15 and $10, then they've paid a $2.50 markup per book, which is more than the $2 Amazon charges people overseas to buy via the Kindle's 3G. However, if people can buy $50 gift cards, they they get more for their extra $5, and it will probably keep your customers happier.

Another thing: Have you considered adding other Amazon sites like Amazon.co.uk? I know there are ebooks that are not available to people in the U.S., so you would probably have a larger pool of potential customers if you added non-U.S. sites.
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:44 PM   #26
mattsholtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderMatt View Post
I gave you some karma, Matt. The site is of no use to me since I live in the states and have no issues buying straight from Amazon with my credit card; however, I think the site is clever and very useful for the right crowd. Given how often I see people from other parts of the world on these forums asking for ways to buy U.S. Kindle books (many people seem to get U.S. credit cards simply for this purpose), I think your $5 markup may be worth the convenience you bring to people wanting to buy foreign ebooks.

I do have a couple recommendations, though. Can you add gift cards greater than $25? I understand you probably want to make money off those $5 charges, but people who are looking to buy several U.S. ebooks might be discouraged if they can only purchase a single $25 gift card at a time. If they buy two ebooks at, say, $15 and $10, then they've paid a $2.50 markup per book, which is more than the $2 Amazon charges people overseas to buy via the Kindle's 3G. However, if people can buy $50 gift cards, they they get more for their extra $5, and it will probably keep your customers happier.

Another thing: Have you considered adding other Amazon sites like Amazon.co.uk? I know there are ebooks that are not available to people in the U.S., so you would probably have a larger pool of potential customers if you added non-U.S. sites.
These are all ideas I have thought about and want to implement in the future. $10 and $50 dollar cards should be coming sooner rather than later, and as for EU cards I just need to find a good supplier with good shipping rates. The site is still very young and there is a lot of room to grow, my next step at the moment is to add Itunes gift cards.

Thank you for your thoughts SpiderMatt, and tell all your friends about the site!

Last edited by mattsholtz; 03-06-2011 at 01:52 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:47 PM   #27
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm obviously missing something here. Why would I want to use PayPal rather than my usual credit card?
A lot of online business is done with PayPal. The whole ebay thing, for instance. And personally, I do some writing for a website and I get paid via PayPal.

But when you mostly buy stuff from Amazon, that is a problem. While I have a credit card, I have no way of converting my money in PayPal to pay off my credit card when I use it.

So my money pretty much sits there in my paypal account, even though there's stuff I would like to buy at Amazon. Because while there are a number of merchants that take paypal, most of their prices are worse than Amazon...

That said, I'm not paying a 20% mark up like from this site. I can understand a reasonable increase, but...$5 for a $25 card?

Last edited by JeremyR; 03-06-2011 at 09:52 PM.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 01:35 AM   #28
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
So my money pretty much sits there in my paypal account, even though there's stuff I would like to buy at Amazon.
Ah, transfer it to your bank account? It's what I do, at any rate.

Quote:
That said, I'm not paying a 20% mark up like from this site. I can understand a reasonable increase, but...$5 for a $25 card?
I agree, seems a little steep. I understand the need to make some money, but for a 100$ card things would look differently.
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 01:42 AM   #29
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
It's not a problem if you have a PayPal debit card which works like any other Mastercard. The problem is PayPal has gotten lazy on reissuing them out. I had my Debit Card the whole time I had my account till this month. I'm still trying to get it replaced but not having much luck.

I don't have a problem paying an extra $5 for a gift card. Locally here in TN if I bought one I have to pay a $4.95 activation fee so it's works the same for me.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 02:28 AM   #30
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
It's not a problem if you have a PayPal debit card which works like any other Mastercard. The problem is PayPal has gotten lazy on reissuing them out.
Oh, and that PayPal never offered them outside of the US in the first place.
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote