Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-14-2007, 08:58 AM   #16
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
"blue LED's all over"! That's hysterical!

No, I didn't add blue LEDs, I actually was hoping to get a part number off the stinkin' battery at the time.

Now that you mention it though, I did recently purchase a lot of 100 self-flashing RGB LEDs ....

Those are for a specific project, though: I have a small box that I put 16 single color self-flashing LEDs on about 7~8 years ago (like the computer displays in old 1970s movies, you know -- except mine all blink separately in a psuedo-random pattern created by the duty cycle variances of the individual LEDs), and I want to make it bigger and better, of course.

Unfortunately, I don't really have a place to work on it right now (in fact, I opened the Reader on my desk at work one day), and we're getting ready to move at the end of July, so I'm not starting projects that I can't finish in an hour or so these days. On the other hand, we're getting ready to move, and I hope to have enough space to set projects up and leave them set up 'til I complete them.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 10:08 AM   #17
dstampe
dstampe
dstampe began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I tried this out, with the following observations:

This resistor seems to be involved with ghosting control. Too far one way, and the menu background gets darker with each pointer movement--that is, "white" voltages start to darken the display pixels. Moving the pointer then leaves white ghosts on an increasingly black background. Moving it the other way leaves dark ghosts of the pointer, with the menu background staying white. That is, the inverted "negative" image does not seem to be clearing pixels.

The best setting seems to be just at the point where the cursor leaves no ghost, or just the faintest black ghost. It may take 10 or more pointer moves to see the white ghost, as the background darkens just a bit on each move. This setting does not seem to be too sensitive in terms of resistor position, 1/12 turn is about the threshold for a noticeable difference.

I found that the optimal setting was 1/4 turn counterclockwise from the factory setting. This did result in improved legibility, but noticeably more residual image when the reader was turned off.

BTW, I also took the opportunity to remove the chrome from the top surfaces of the side strips, and paint these black. That chrome is ridiculously bright compared to the black reader and dark display with my visual problems. Scraped it off with a razor blade, stone-age technique but none of the etchants I had would touch it.
dstampe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2007, 10:49 AM   #18
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
"blue LED's all over"! That's hysterical!

No, I didn't add blue LEDs, I actually was hoping to get a part number off the stinkin' battery at the time.

Now that you mention it though, I did recently purchase a lot of 100 self-flashing RGB LEDs ....

Those are for a specific project, though: I have a small box that I put 16 single color self-flashing LEDs on about 7~8 years ago (like the computer displays in old 1970s movies, you know -- except mine all blink separately in a psuedo-random pattern created by the duty cycle variances of the individual LEDs), and I want to make it bigger and better, of course.
That's really cool. Don't forget making some pictures when you start on this project.

Speaking of pictures. dstampe, do you have a picture showing what you've done?
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 11:43 AM   #19
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloNL
That's really cool. Don't forget making some pictures when you start on this project.
That'll be a while, but since you're interested, here's a short clip of the one I already have (it's in some goofy format that my Trēo uses )
Attached Files
File Type: zip Flashy Light Box.zip (127.4 KB, 327 views)
Old 05-17-2007, 10:02 PM   #20
Latemarch
Latemarch began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
Quote:
Is there a replacement battery available?
Is the one in there soldered in?

My battery life stinks and the unit is out of warranty
Latemarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2007, 02:14 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that the warranty on the Reader was a year. No Reader is a year old yet, is it? It was only launched in - what? October?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 08:11 AM   #22
NatCh
Gizmologist

I thought the warranty was a year, but I'd have to go look.

@LateMarch: The battery has a connector -- it's not soldiered in -- but there's no part number visible on the thing, so while there may be (probably is) a replacement battery available somewhere we don't know what to look for.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:45 AM   #23
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Quote:
That'll be a while, but since you're interested, here's a short clip of the one I already have (it's in some goofy format that my Trēo uses )

That's so..so..well..spacy. I like it!

BTW there is a part number on the battery. Let me get it for you.

EDIT: Here it is.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:01 AM   #24
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloNL
That's so..so..well..spacy. I like it!
Glad you find it amusing. They're really not too hard to do, the biggest hurdle is the cost of the materials, mostly the LEDs. That one all the LED's are connected in parallel, so the power supply has to be pretty hefty. One of the things I need to work out with the bigger one is just how many I can put in series with which power supply, so I can get away from supplying some ridiculous amount of current -- I know how to work it out, and have the tools, but no place to actually do the work at present.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:34 AM   #25
diabloNL
Gadget Force®

Quote:
Glad you find it amusing. They're really not too hard to do, the biggest hurdle is the cost of the materials, mostly the LEDs. That one all the LED's are connected in parallel, so the power supply has to be pretty hefty. One of the things I need to work out with the bigger one is just how many I can put in series with which power supply, so I can get away from supplying some ridiculous amount of current -- I know how to work it out, and have the tools, but no place to actually do the work at present.
I think the best is to make a combination of series and parallel. In that way you can put quite a lot on a decent P/S.
Old 05-18-2007, 03:25 PM   #26
NatCh
Gizmologist

That's more or less where I figure I'll end up, but I have to nail down the more and less.