Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 11-20-2010, 10:41 AM   #61
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
Shit! It's just occurred to me that I should have a different login to page99test.com than I have in here. Some of the pages I comment on might belong to writers from here. Good job one can't give negative karma!

Fortunately I try to give constructive criticism, but you never know how it will be taken...

James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 04:09 PM   #62
M T McGuire
Addict
M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Wilde View Post
Shit! It's just occurred to me that I should have a different login to page99test.com than I have in here. Some of the pages I comment on might belong to writers from here. Good job one can't give negative karma!

Fortunately I try to give constructive criticism, but you never know how it will be taken...

I'm happy with my book and I like it which means other people are allowed not to. If you stumble on mine, feel free to say exactly what you want.

Cheers

MTM
M T McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2010, 05:25 PM   #63
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Wilde View Post

I've been reading this thread with interest (although I didn't sign up on that site to comment because I really don't want to sign up on another site), and I've got to say that honest, constructive feedback is generally well-taken by the authors here on MR, in my experience. It's always a little uncomfortable to offer it, however, and I'm sure it's not always comfortable to receive.

<--no negative karma here yet either
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 03:17 AM   #64
Just4kix
Zealot
Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I think it is useful to be able to see the style of the writing - the author's 'voice,' rather than the content. I've read interesting blurbs, but on reading the actual story I've found I didn't like the writing style.
Just4kix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 03:26 AM   #65
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just4kix View Post
I think it is useful to be able to see the style of the writing - the author's 'voice,' rather than the content. I've read interesting blurbs, but on reading the actual story I've found I didn't like the writing style.
"Voice": that's a good way of putting it, JFK. My wife is reading my new novel at the moment, and she says she likes my "tilltal", a Swedish word, which can very well be translated as "voice" (literally "way of speaking or addressing".

Trouble is, she won't tell me what she thinks of the story.
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2010, 05:23 AM   #66
ASparrow
Addict
ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
I've been reading this thread with interest (although I didn't sign up on that site to comment because I really don't want to sign up on another site), and I've got to say that honest, constructive feedback is generally well-taken by the authors here on MR, in my experience. It's always a little uncomfortable to offer it, however, and I'm sure it's not always comfortable to receive.

<--no negative karma here yet either
Definitely. Constructive feedback is like gold to me. I actually don't mind destructive feedback if it's genuine. Everything I have ever written is flawed. I constantly seek to make them better, but I can't always see what's wrong even if I feel it. The only thing that can cure my blindness is another perspective.
ASparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 03:07 PM   #67
altworld
Evangelist
altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android G1
Thought I would revist this topic and see how Page99test is doing, I've noticed you can now share your page

http://www.page99test.com/read-my-page/514

Which is a great step forward and helps intersite promotion, but I am wondering why feedback can't be viewed until you create an account?

Thoughts anyone?

Edit - Okay, just noticed if you have your book ID from the share this page link you can create a direct link to your feedback.

http://page99test.com/my-feedback/514

Seems to be working fine for me, I logged out and tested it after I dumped my cache and cookies. Can anyone else verify this works? If so page99test has some use to direct your website traffic too.

Last edited by altworld; 02-03-2011 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Figured out an URL
altworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 04:04 PM   #68
altworld
Evangelist
altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lance@page99test View Post
Wow, altworld, you're fast.

We just launched this much-requested functionality last night.

Writers now have the ability to share out their page 99 with others in order to request feedback (via Facebook, Twitter, or email).

Next up for us (within a week) is giving writers the option to include a back cover blurb -- to give readers some additional context.

And finally (2-3 weeks out), we'll be highlighting the top Page 99s across all genres.

Thanks for all your feedback.

Lance
Complete coincidence on my part, I am glad to see your opening up the website a little more. That can only help you get traffic and retain it from the casual surfer. Good move
Old 02-03-2011, 04:44 PM   #69
Steve Anderson
Addict
Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, laptop, more
Quote:
Wow, altworld, you're fast.

We just launched this much-requested functionality last night.

Writers now have the ability to share out their page 99 with others in order to request feedback (via Facebook, Twitter, or email).

Next up for us (within a week) is giving writers the option to include a back cover blurb -- to give readers some additional context.

And finally (2-3 weeks out), we'll be highlighting the top Page 99s across all genres.

Thanks for all your feedback.

Lance

Lance,

Great job listening to feedback from all sides and doing what it takes to provide a great response. I've had mixed experiences but your changes should do a lot toward correcting similar experiences many have had.

Keep at it,
Steve
Steve Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:47 AM   #70
M T McGuire
Addict
M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Lance, I liked the badge.

Thank you!

MTM
M T McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:13 AM   #71
altworld
Evangelist

Great improvements and makes the website more inviting for the casual surfer and to send traffic too. I hope this brings you more views and opens up Page99Test to a larger audience.

Still have a problem with some of the critique as it comes across as asinine. Best example is the latest one I got last night, which was funny enough appeared after two weeks of silence after I congratulated Lance on opening up the website more.

'Horrible grammar, and the villain isn't compelling enough for me to care about why he perpetrated the violence to begin with.' Courtesy of Geek Girl

I'll accept the grammar, everyone gets that and I am working to improve it. The second part is a little harder as it's a one page extract that doesn't describe the villain at all. With no run up or explanation it's a little hard to understand why he is doing what he is doing, and even who he is attacking. Hence the biggest downfall of Page99test is the lack of context.

In short does the critic even know we are posting a page out of book, where showing context is impossible. Unless of course its all a series of one page stories.

Roll on book blurbs and synopsis, and then perhaps these odd comments will start making more sense to us Authors...
Arigato,
Nick Davis

Last edited by altworld; 02-04-2011 at 11:23 AM. Reason: One more thing to add
Old 02-04-2011, 11:06 AM   #72
joycedb
Guru
joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I agree that taking the clip out of context is a problem. More of a problem for me was uploading because my text didn't come out the way it was written in my file and someone commented that I'd formatted it wrong. Well, I knew it was wrong, but there was no way to fix it. I think I'll wait until Lance rolls out the new improvements before I put up another p. 99.

Joyce
joycedb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:08 AM   #73
Just4kix
Zealot
Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I would have liked to be able to link to my books as one commentater said they would like to read it.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:27 PM   #74
lance@page99test
lance@page99test began at the beginning.

Hi, everyone-

We've just released the back cover blurb / synopsis upload feature. For any new page 99s (or for a revision of an existing page 99), you'll see the option to include a 750-character summary of your book -- optional, of course.

This will give readers the ability to read more about your story before they rate your page 99. Additional context will hopefully address some of the issues you've shared with me on this thread.

In addition, self-published writers now have the ability to link to their Web site, blog, Amazon, etc.

Thanks,
Lance
lance@page99test is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 08:22 AM   #75
Just4kix
Zealot

Quote:
Hi, everyone-

We've just released the back cover blurb / synopsis upload feature. For any new page 99s (or for a revision of an existing page 99), you'll see the option to include a 750-character summary of your book -- optional, of course.

This will give readers the ability to read more about your story before they rate your page 99. Additional context will hopefully address some of the issues you've shared with me on this thread.

In addition, self-published writers now have the ability to link to their Web site, blog, Amazon, etc.

Thanks,
Lance
Thanks for the new additions.
Now that you have the link option I will upload some of my other books.