Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 06-21-2010, 02:13 PM   #1
sagars24
sagars24 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: borges impres-
Unhappy Mentor Lite -> Book resume and Firmware question

I really like the device but there is something that is really hard for me to overlook. Do you have any suggestions or help?
  • When I read a book and the device shuts down, it resumes a couple pages behind where i left. For eg if i was reading page 100, the next time i open the book it will open anywhere between 97-99. Any ideas on this?
  • Has anyone tried to upgrade the firmware to The cybook Gen 3? Will it fix my above mentioned problem?
  • What is the difference between the latest firmware and the icon firmware?

All the help is much appreciated.
sagars24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 02:55 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagars24 View Post
I really like the device but there is something that is really hard for me to overlook. Do you have any suggestions or help?
  • When I read a book and the device shuts down, it resumes a couple pages behind where i left. For eg if i was reading page 100, the next time i open the book it will open anywhere between 97-99. Any ideas on this?
  • Has anyone tried to upgrade the firmware to The cybook Gen 3? Will it fix my above mentioned problem?
  • What is the difference between the latest firmware and the icon firmware?

All the help is much appreciated.
This is normal A "Page" is broken up into "screens" depending on your Zoom Level.

Only the Page location, not how many screens into the page is stored.

If you "crash" or do some other abnormal exit , that info may not be updated and your LAST normal exit values may be used.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2010, 04:50 PM   #3
epacki
epacki began at the beginning.

Device: Mentor
For me, this feature of not resuming reading where I left off reading is irritating. The bookmark feature does what it's supposed to do.

I haven't tried the Cybook Gen 3 firmware but I have installed the Cooler firmware. That's what I use because when I turn my reader off, it will restart where I left off.

The icon firmware is the latest version.
epacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 05:11 PM   #4
sagars24

Thanks for the replies

So can you tell me which version of the cooler firmware you use on the astak mentor lite and is it the same process to install and it should work on mine too?
Old 06-21-2010, 05:16 PM   #5
sagars24

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
This is normal A "Page" is broken up into "screens" depending on your Zoom Level.

Only the Page location, not how many screens into the page is stored.

If you "crash" or do some other abnormal exit , that info may not be updated and your LAST normal exit values may be used.
Hi The Duck,

The the reason i brough this up was because i tried the sony before Mentor and that would just come up where we left off. Only if the screen was any good on the Sony.
Advert
Old 06-22-2010, 01:30 AM   #6
cynthia399
cynthia399 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cynthia399 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cynthia399 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cynthia399 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cynthia399 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cynthia399 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cynthia399 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cynthia399 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cynthia399 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cynthia399 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cynthia399 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Astak Mentor
I put the icon firmware on my mentor this weekend and I love it. It gives you a whole new way to use the device.
Some things that I like about the icon firmware:
1. Recently read list
2. You can add books to a favorites list
3. File system explorer
4. date and time on the status bar
cynthia399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 05:10 AM   #7
wutugu
wutugu began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynthia399 View Post
I put the icon firmware on my mentor this weekend and I love it. It gives you a whole new way to use the device.
1. Recently read list
3. File system explorer
Hi, what do you mean by icon firmware? I did a search and could not find it. THank you!
wutugu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 11:38 AM   #8
maxbookworm
Addict
maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Galaxy Note 2
Quote:
1. Recently read list
3. File system explorer
This is great to know! I just bought an SD card so I'm going to try it tonight. Have you found any of the battery drain issues in this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86173 , or was that just for the EZ readers?

wutugu -- the link to the firmware upgrades is here: http://www.astak.com/downloadcenter.asp
maxbookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 11:41 AM   #9
cynthia399
cynthia399 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cynthia399 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cynthia399 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cynthia399 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cynthia399 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cynthia399 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cynthia399 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cynthia399 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cynthia399 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cynthia399 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cynthia399 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you go to http://www.astak.com/downloadcenter.asp there is a list of firmware for the mentor. I installed the 6" Mentor-icon v2.2.1 firmware from that page.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:44 AM   #10
cynthia399

No, I haven't noticed any battery drain, but I charge my mentor every night.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:55 AM   #11
maxbookworm
Addict
maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks -- I'll give it a try and see if I notice any battery drain...

One other question, Cynthia -- I just got an SD card, but I don't have an SD card reader. When you attach the Mentor via USB onto your computer, does the SD card show up as a separate drive or folder so I can put the firmware upgrade file onto it (in other words, can I use the Mentor itself as the SD card reader)? Thanks!
Old 06-22-2010, 12:00 PM   #12
cynthia399

Yes, it shows up as a seperate drive on my computer.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:10 PM   #13
maxbookworm
Addict

Quote:
Yes, it shows up as a seperate drive on my computer.
Perfect, thanks!

I guess I had one other question. On that other firmware thread, they mentioned that the clock had to be re-set every time the reader was turned off. Have you tried turning your reader off and on, or do you just leave it on all the time?
Old 06-22-2010, 12:32 PM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbookworm View Post
Perfect, thanks!

I guess I had one other question. On that other firmware thread, they mentioned that the clock had to be re-set every time the reader was turned off. Have you tried turning your reader off and on, or do you just leave it on all the time?
You may be mixing up product lines from Astak.

The clock reset is a EZReader (Hanlin based) issue.

Mentor is a different beast entirely (I can't answer the clock question for that one).
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:42 PM   #15
cynthia399

Just turned it off for 5 minutes to test this and it did not lose the time setting