Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-16-2010, 02:35 PM   #1
ziNde
ziNde began at the beginning.

Device: none
Ebook for technical books

Hello,

I am looking for an ereader to buy, but i need help deciding which to buy. The reason i need your help has to do with the fact i don't really have acess to the devices in my country, and i can only get information through these kinds of topics or youtube. Still... i can't process all information.

I need an ereader because i am a college student and i find it very interesting to have a collection of technical books (engineering). So what i need is a device with a big memory (or ability to use memory cards), that can easily read .pdf files with lots of formulas. I also need it to be able to show pictures and diagrams in .pdf in a clear resolution. I believe it's better in this situation to have a big display (like 7'') because the content i expect to view is very graphic. Touchscreen is not very important, but the ability to underline text and write notes is great.

I don't really need a device that provides more acess to downloable content or that has better support to buy books. Most of the files i need are .pdf and i just need to transfer them from the pc.

Sony ereader PRS-900 or the PRS-600 seemed to be the best option at this point. What other solutions should i consider? Is there any other good device coming out any time soon?

Thanks for helping
ziNde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 02:48 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, ziNde

Could you let us know which country you are it? It might help with suggestions.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2010, 03:22 PM   #3
ziNde
ziNde began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Welcome to MobileRead, ziNde

Could you let us know which country you are it? It might help with suggestions.
Portugal
ziNde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 04:14 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Anyone?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 06:54 PM   #5
rmm200
Groupie
rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600
I really don't think there is any good option if all you have access to are PDFs...

Try to get books in EPub format; even then you may have trouble with diagrams flowing right.

Try really hard to find someone in your country with a device you can try. PDFs with diagrams and formulas are really problematic.

Robert
rmm200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2010, 02:19 AM   #6
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
I can suggest Irex Iliad - despite some shortcomings (lack of sleep mode, battery life, no epub), it's pretty good for technical PDF documents. It allows you to take notes, has persistent zoom feature, etc.
You should be able to pick one up 2nd hand reasonably cheap. I just sold mine for USD 400 ...
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 02:59 AM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziNde View Post
I need an ereader because i am a college student and i find it very interesting to have a collection of technical books (engineering). So what i need is a device with a big memory (or ability to use memory cards), that can easily read .pdf files with lots of formulas. I also need it to be able to show pictures and diagrams in .pdf in a clear resolution. I believe it's better in this situation to have a big display (like 7'') because the content i expect to view is very graphic. Touchscreen is not very important, but the ability to underline text and write notes is great.
It seems to me that at this point in time a 10 inch netbook like the ASUS Eee PC 1000HE might be your best choice. My daughter loves hers and the ereader market is not quite there yet. Six months to a year from now the market might have what your looking for.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 06:46 AM   #8
aleks
Connoisseur
aleks doesn't litteraleks doesn't litteraleks doesn't litter

Device: Rocket eBook & Sony Reader
The Entourage Edge may be an option. I preordered one but am waiting to see what the first receipients think of the unit. I intend to request someone to take a sample pdf file with graphics and see how it looks.
aleks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 07:45 AM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleks View Post
The Entourage Edge may be an option. I preordered one but am waiting to see what the first receipients think of the unit. I intend to request someone to take a sample pdf file with graphics and see how it looks.
It certainly seems like an excellent product for those in need of technical pdf ereaders.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 12:03 AM   #10
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
I would also toss out the Entourage eDge or the iRex (DR800SG||Iliad).

The Entourage seems ideal for a student. The DR800SG is good if you don't need annotations too badly, and the Iliad would be good for your PDFs. The DR800SG will probably support annotations before too long, but I wouldn't buy it if you NEED that feature. I probably wouldn't buy the Iliad myself because I already have a collection of microSD cards and don't want to diverge from that format.

The PRS-900 is a good option from what I've heard. My main complaint with it was that I tried the PRS-600 in Best Buy and was very unhappy with the firmware. It was so bad that it would drive me batty. YMMV.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 11:12 AM   #11
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
The dittobook D9 will be out in march. should be excellent for PDFs but we still havent seen it yet.

Also the Onyx Boox with its zooming selections is excellent for technical papers. some think a 6inch can't do them well but this does show the best way to do them on a 6inch screen. It does let you write on them as well

The PocketBook 301+ is just as good or better than Onyx at displaying PDFs on a 6inch screen and is cheaper than the onyx because it doesnt have that wacom pen input.

IF the Irex DR800 had the zoom functions its older brother does then it would an excellent choice as well. hopefully they will fix that with an update soon.

Last edited by Dulin's Books; 02-20-2010 at 11:34 AM.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 05:40 PM   #12
MLDaeni
MLDaeni began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 301+
Pocketbook 301

I use Pocketbook 301+ with technical math books and research papers all the time, and I am very happy with it. It has by far the best PDF implementation from all 6" devices I know.
Plus:
- Comes with a great case with a nice leather book look
- 6 inches is a great compromise between size and portability (I feel 8' might feel too bulky to carry around)
- Excellent two column mode for A4 and letter papers
- Crop margins option in PDF that really works
- Arbitrary persistent zoom
- Two PDF viewers
- Most books very readable in landscape mode, some even on portrait mode

Concerning PDF: on 6" devices it's all about the software. Before the Pocketbook I had a PRS600 that I returned after two days. The glare on the screen was too much for me, and the absence of an autocrop margins option was a deal breaker.

Good luck in your choice.
MLDaeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:44 AM   #13
frank.w
Enthusiast
frank.w began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (sans 3G)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziNde View Post
Hello,

I don't really need a device that provides more acess to downloable content or that has better support to buy books. Most of the files i need are .pdf and i just need to transfer them from the pc.

Thanks for helping
Howdy - there is a guy on "Craigs List" in Philladelphia (I think) that is selling Kindle DX readers for pretty cheap because they don't have the
3G "WhisperNet" service available. Drop me a note if you get stuck and I'll get the proper details for you.

- Frank
frank.w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:52 AM   #14
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank.w View Post
Howdy - there is a guy on "Craigs List" in Philladelphia (I think) that is selling Kindle DX readers for pretty cheap
Have you got the link for this one. Can't find it on Craigs List.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote