Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 08-04-2006, 04:20 AM   #1
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
iRex wants to remotely kill your iLiad!

Our friend scotty asked iRex for a way to remotely kill your iLiad (I assume to prevent thieves from stealing your precious content). The response was very interesting:

Fully agreed. We have three items in our development plan:
  • timer support so the iLiad can download content or software updates at preset intervals (ones a day during the night or every "x" minutes)
  • when the iLiad is reported stolen make it useless the next time it connects (or remove all content when it connects, or both, not sure yet)
  • protect the iLiad with a pin-code after boot-up
I cannot wait for the first hacker to breach into iDS and disable all iLiads out there. Talking about collateral damage
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 05:00 AM   #2
R2D2
Mad Scientist
R2D2 doesn't litterR2D2 doesn't litterR2D2 doesn't litter

Device: Zaurus, HTCMagician, iLiad
Then we would really need ANOTHER meditation thread. ROFL
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2006, 11:10 AM   #3
drogo
Connoisseur
drogo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.drogo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.drogo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.drogo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-500
Hmmm. I have to say that this makes me glad that I'm waiting until the final version before purchasing one. I really like the eink display, but I do NOT like the idea that they have the ability to disable my device remotely. I know, I know, (if you're reading, iRex) it will only be used in the case my unit is stolen. But what if there's a bug somewhere that activates it by accident? Or, as TadW said, someone finds an exploit?

iRex needs to look at how the other heavy-handed DRM "solutions" have worked out. (The Original) Divx, Gemstar's ebooks, Librie, etc. In all this work to block out "un-authorized" access, they're negatively affecting the honest user's experience. You know, the ones that pay them in the first place?

If they really insist on this "feature", I think it should be optional. If someone wants to have it loaded to their iLiad, they should sign up for it online, then connect in, and have it pushed down. But having it go out to everyone automatically.....not a good idea in my book. And unfortunately a deal-breaker.
drogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 11:20 AM   #4
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Only a certain class of paranoid would use this feature, others will be too paranoid to use it. :-)

This will be an important feature for government and corporate users. Especially for the VA and certain Fortune 500 corporations that have been embarrassed lately by missing data.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 12:52 PM   #5
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
I agree, it should be optional.

I can see certain people, like government employees for example, who want to keep documents-that-aren't-quite-public on it. And if the unit it "lost" they would like to have the ability to remotely disable it to keep the documents as secret as possible.

I can also see vendors who tie their service to the iLiad (like a news site that lets you buy an iLiad for a discount if you sign up for a 2 year subscription) who would want to be able to remotely disable the unit if you fail to live up to your side of the agreement.

But I can also see definate issues - like a software bug that accidently sends out kill messages to many iLiads - that would make customers very, very, very mad.

Personally, I think that the locking PIN number is the best way to go, with an option to wipe the memory if you can't enter the PIN.

Then, for the subscription services, iRex makes a special build for them with the kill option in it.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2006, 12:59 PM   #6
deadite66
Groupie
deadite66 began at the beginning.

Device: irex iliad, uk Kindle gen3
wouldn't large files be on MMC/SD/CF though
deadite66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 01:13 PM   #7
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Exactly, what about content stored on external media? Do they want to encrypt the entire flash stick? Otherwise, I don't see a PIN code as a reliable protection against stolen content.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 01:32 PM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic
I don't see a PIN code as a reliable protection against stolen content.
Ah but the question isn't will it work, but rather do the folks asking for it think it will work?

In my experience with government, in particular, what they ask for is often far more important to them than whether what they ask for will do what they actually want it to do. (shrug)
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 02:37 PM   #9
kusmi
Connoisseur
kusmi began at the beginning.

But also a delete command sent from iRex will not solve the external-media (CompactFlash, ...) problem. The criminal could still remove the flash-card from the device and has access to the full content - before even iRex has a chance to send a delete command to the device... so for me this "deletion command" makes no sense...

Having a PIN and "encrypted" data on flash is a way, but for me this seems quite an overkill for such a new product like the iLiad (at least for me this encrypting thing is not very high on my roadmap :-)
kusmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 04:08 PM   #10
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by kusmi
But also a delete command sent from iRex will not solve the external-media (CompactFlash, ...) problem. The criminal could still remove the flash-card from the device and has access to the full content
Which is precisely why some corporations are putting super glue into the USB connectors of their PC's. Sensitive corporate data on USB media is a looming issue.

It wouldn't surprise me if corporate iLiad's had an ability to restrict external storage to "install only", no ability to view content from external memory devices to help protect from sloppy security on the part of employees.

A key point I'd like to make is that these people so far don't appear to be stupid. If irex implements a remote kill feature in iDS I don't think we'll see someone rolling out of bed one morning and discovering that their iLiad is staying it was stolen after it connected at 3am to get the daily paper.

They have taken a big step in making these machines available to everyone at this early stage. We all have a unique ability here to help shape the future of this device. I hope that everyone can treat irex with respect and not run around insulting their intelligence.

Otherwise, Sony will just sit there in Tokyo laughing their asses off over this furor and pat each other on the back for not exposing themselves to this kind of treatment.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 09:50 PM   #11
firekat
Groupie
firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Here's a novel idea - if you deal with "sensitive" material maybe you shouldn't be removing it from your workplace. If you need to get to it while at home or on the road maybe you should connect to your work computer on a secure internet connection.

iLiad Password Access Idea - Good.

iLiad Remote Kill Idea - VERY BAD!

I have enough problems in my life with the U.S. Government - Big Brother constantly in my business and personal life. Why I should let someone else into it, to control something that I bought is beyond me. Your giving too much control to others. This Remote Kill is akin to buying a car and giving the keys to the dealer so they can take it back when it suits them.

Suggestion: People that handle "sensitive data" should be more responsible. Safeguard your sensitive material sufficiently so that others (those that would be affected by the loss and those that have deal with the otherwise draconian tactics invoked to deal with the perpetrator's lack of due dilligence) will not have to suffer the consequences of irresponsibility.

FYI - I got a letter from the VA telling me that my personal information was jeapordized. That makes me very angry that some bonehead did that with my data.

The rest of us should not have to suffer such extreme tactics as "Remote Kill". The whole concept irks me to no end. I wholeheartedly resent the inference that this "Remote Kill" is required functionality. Just say NO to it! Thanks a lot!

Good Luck To Us All!

Last edited by firekat; 08-04-2006 at 09:54 PM.
firekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 10:58 PM   #12
astfgl
astfgl began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad & REB1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic
Exactly, what about content stored on external media? Do they want to encrypt the entire flash stick? Otherwise, I don't see a PIN code as a reliable protection against stolen content.
That's one of my planned peojects - get FUSE and encfs running, so I can keep personal documents on removeable media. A random layout on-screen keyboard is simple, or even tap codes with the pen. ;-)

This may require modification of the file chooser, as a different mount point may be needed, or it may be as simple as replacing the auto-mount script for storage devices with one which detects an encfs partition, prompts for the passphrase and mounts it correctly.

SDK in October... Patience, patience...
astfgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 03:56 AM   #13
Gavrahil
Gavrahil began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Librié
And let's not forget one thing people: the iDS system is a "pull" system. It doesn't get activated until YOU connect to THEM. And I can't imagine any thief going: "Hmmm, let's see what cool new features iRex has for this lovely new gimmick"
And even if he's so stupid to do that, he'll have all the content he needs by then. So this system wouldn't work anyway.
Drop it, it's as bad an idea as brushing your teeth with peanut-butter jelly.
Gavrahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 08:31 AM   #14
Snappy!
Addict
Snappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura about

Device: SHARP Zaurus C1000
Consider that if your book gets stolen or misplaced, the finder can read it all he likes. Disabling the device makes it a deterent to steal the device. But what if the owner misplaces it? Maybe it should display a message with email contact to allow the finder to contact iLiad so that it can be returned to the rightful owner?

Guess it cuts both ways. But I can already imagine disabled iLiads piling up some refuse dum.
Snappy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 09:05 AM   #15
ElaHuguet
iLiad freak
ElaHuguet doesn't litterElaHuguet doesn't litterElaHuguet doesn't litter

Device: iRex iLiad
At least in Spain, our cell phones can be disabled if we report them stolen... so far, we haven't had a massive case of blocked mobiles due to some mistake. On the other hand, the point given about "if they don't connect, what's the use?" is a good one, password entry makes it generally safer, and some corporations would probably feel better if they had the ability to kill their stolen iLiads. I don't really mind, I have a copy of whatever's on the iLiad on my PC anyway.
ElaHuguet is offline   Reply With Quote